PDA

View Full Version : Do you switch up your shampoo and condish?

shikara
December 23rd, 2011, 08:51 AM
I have sometimes read that it is a good practice to switch your shampoo and condish every ten washings or so (so i suppose you could even just have two kinds and go back and forth...). Do you do this or do you have one favorite that seems to work all the time?

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/lmarie29/th_a5642814.jpg (http://s1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/lmarie29/?action=view&current=a5642814.jpg)

Siiri
December 23rd, 2011, 09:09 AM
I don't switch up my conditioner, it has been working the same for four years that I've used it. Probably the reasoning behind switching your shampoo and conditioner is that products may have different ingredients and cause different types of build up - I mean when you use for example a shampoo with cones, and don't clarify at all, the cones may build up and then when you switch to a non-coney shampoo, it eventually removes the build up. So I'd assume you only need to switch up your products if the condition of your hair changes (becomes dryer etc.), otherwise you'd just need to clarify when needed.

Mayflower
December 23rd, 2011, 09:24 AM
I don't use conditioner, but I've used the same shampoo for a long time now and the effect stays the same.

Amber_Maiden
December 23rd, 2011, 09:34 AM
I don't. I do what my hair likes...

BrightEyes
December 23rd, 2011, 09:47 AM
I rotate between two or three shampoo/conditioner sets. My hair seems to like it better that way.

Carissamarie08
December 23rd, 2011, 09:54 AM
Right now I switching all the time because I joined LHC not long ago and am experimenting with what others like to see what works best.

Firefly
December 23rd, 2011, 10:04 AM
Yes. For some reason my hair likes it when I mix it up from time to time. I usually know it's time to switch when whatever I'm doing isn't working anymore. I'll switch (either to an old favorite or something completely new) and it will work fantastically for a while... until it's time to change again!

jacqueline101
December 23rd, 2011, 10:09 AM
I used to switch up but not any more. People used to give me things.

anikadear
December 23rd, 2011, 10:54 AM
I usually don't switch unless the products I've been using just stop doing what they'd been doing. And that usually takes a while anyway. I hate finding new product because my hair is wacky like that.

coffinhert
December 23rd, 2011, 11:17 AM
I have about 5 conditioners and I switch between them randomly. It's all based on smell.

However they are all cone free.

luxepiggy
December 24th, 2011, 05:57 AM
Not I, said the little piggy. At least, not for the sake of switching. I do have 2 different conditioners, because one has protein and one does not. Mostly I use the protein-y one, but occasionally my hair begins to show signs of protein overload, prompting me to switch to the protein-free one for a few washes.

NativeGirl
December 24th, 2011, 06:01 AM
Here lately, I've been switching every two weeks or so just to see what works best. Currently using Dove Intensive Repair Shampoo and Conditioner, and I'm not a fan. I always seem to go back to Suave Professionals Humectant Moisture. I think I should just settle with it, since it's the only thing that my hair is happy with.

auburntressed
December 24th, 2011, 06:04 AM
I don't switch regularly, but I do switch when I see something new that I'd like to try. For the past several months, I've been using Aveda's madder root shampoo, and I just got the corresponding conditioner. I love the shampoo, but I'm not crazy about the conditioner. It smells like chemicals to me. Still, I'll use it until I've used it up.

Carolyn
December 24th, 2011, 06:06 AM
Yes. I switch every wash. My hair seems to like a varied diet. If I use the same products more than 2 washes in a row, I get dull, lank hair. I switch randomly. I use cones now and then but not regularly and I use protein once in a while. My hair gets protein overload very easily.

pepperminttea
December 24th, 2011, 06:41 AM
Yes. I switch every wash. My hair seems to like a varied diet. If I use the same products more than 2 washes in a row, I get dull, lank hair.

^ What Carolyn said. I have several that I cycle through, but never the same one twice in a row. My hair seems happier that way. :)

Kelikea
December 24th, 2011, 06:46 AM
I switch it up because my scalp is too sensitive. It can't take one thing for long. Well, it seems to be ok with bs/acv, but my ends then get dry. Its ok for the summer. For the winter, my hair seems to be screaming for moisture. So I'm try heavier stuff with more oils, hoping my scalp will cooperate. Right now I'm doing Desert Essence Organics Coconut shampoo and conditioner and following with a water spritz with avocado oil. If my scalp gets too itchy/flaky, I'm going to try to make some coconut oil shampoo.

Madora
December 24th, 2011, 06:48 AM
I have sometimes read that it is a good practice to switch your shampoo and condish every ten washings or so (so i suppose you could even just have two kinds and go back and forth...). Do you do this or do you have one favorite that seems to work all the time?

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/lmarie29/th_a5642814.jpg (http://s1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/lmarie29/?action=view&current=a5642814.jpg)

No, I've never switched shampoos. I've been using the George Michael Pink Creme shampoo since 1982. I did switch conditioners from the GM 3 minute conditioner over to Tresemme condish with Aloe and Avocado within the last year.

gazelle
December 24th, 2011, 02:11 PM
Yes, but because of the smell. I have a cone and sulphate free shampoo with no smell. My hair is better with it. But sometimes I want my hair to smell beautiful, so I use the pink Gliss but rarely

Buddaphlyy
December 24th, 2011, 03:00 PM
I only switch if I run out of something. I'm a reforming PJ, so I have lots of stuff to change if I want.

beautifulending
December 24th, 2011, 04:17 PM
Yes but not because of build up. I just trying new things.:D

vanillabones
December 24th, 2011, 05:57 PM
I switch mine up, partly because I have such a stash it makes it less boring, and my hair does respond better when it's not stuck on the same two products over and over. Switching it up definitely helps my hair, might not be the same for everyone though.

battles
December 24th, 2011, 06:33 PM
I switch because my hair starts to rage after using something for awhile, and it no longer works like it did at first. Even after using something else for awhile. I feel like I'm running out of options, because my hair still looks terrible. :(

gthlvrmx
December 24th, 2011, 07:16 PM
I just stay on mine, clarify once a year.

vampodrama
December 25th, 2011, 01:15 AM
I switch all the time.... mostly because I have... let me count... 8 different shampoo/conditioner combos and I want to use them all :D

I have been very good at not buying any new ones for a while though. Maybe I'll actually finish something one day.

My hair doesn't seem to like any of them though, which is the reason why I kept buying new ones, but I've decided that since my hair doesn't like *anything* then what's the difference.

MizzFlamez
December 25th, 2011, 08:22 AM
i do rotate my conditioners and shampoos. i have one i use when detangling cos it has slip and just co wash with it. on any other co wash day, i use another conditioner.

littlemiss
December 27th, 2011, 06:30 PM
I just use the same shampoo all the time but have 2 different conditioers, one for the lenght when I first get in to avoid tangles and one for the whole head and lenght when I finish washing it.

Liesbeth
December 27th, 2011, 06:38 PM
No, I always use the same shampoo and conditioner. It works just as well every time. :)

Shuan
December 27th, 2011, 06:50 PM
I've switched a few times between shampoos in the last year, because some seemed to make my shedding worse. As for conditioner, I've been using the same for about a year now and my hair likes it, I think.

patienceneeded
December 27th, 2011, 07:49 PM
I have two (no sulfates) shampoos I like and about 8 different conditioners. I have 3(ish) that I like as my first C in CWC, and the others that I like more as my second C in CWC. I use whatever I feel like in the shower on any given day. They all have scent (the conditioners) and I try not to use conflicting scents. The shampoo has no scent. I have tried to go minimalist and stick with just one or two things, but I get bored with the lack of variety. This works for me. DH laughs at the multitude of conditioners in the shower, but doesn't mind. DD4 uses the same stuff I do (no sulfates, parabens, or cones) so it all gets used regularly.

Arashi
December 27th, 2011, 08:05 PM
I'm always changing my routine.. my hair doesn't seem to like for me to do the same thing over and over for too long, and I like to experiment with new things, so I change it up fairly frequently.

RedDevil
December 27th, 2011, 08:09 PM
All the time. I switch it up almost everyday. I switch up both shampoos and conditioners. I choose sometimes based on scent or textures or by the products properties. I love buying S&C

kidari
December 27th, 2011, 08:11 PM
My hair likes it when I switch it up, which is why I always have 2 sets of shampoo and conditioner in the shower at all times. I also have 1-2 deep conditioners, a clarifying shampoo, and 4-5 other sets of shampoo and conditioner in the linen closet at all times. I never use the same shampoo or conditioner or even same washing method for more than 3 washes in a row and I'm always rotating what's in my shower as well as trying new things.

sassyholiday
December 27th, 2011, 09:31 PM
Yes! I think even cone-free products can build up, so I rotate them. My hair likes it that way!

motu821
December 27th, 2011, 11:40 PM
No, when I find something that works nicely, I stick with it until I have a real need to change it.