PDA

View Full Version : Henna after salon color?

kristib123
December 22nd, 2011, 09:43 PM
I had my hair salon colored to help cover old highlights that I didn't want anymore. It turned out wonderful and I am very pleased with the dark brown color which is my natural color.

My question is since I am really getting some grays (already!)- can I henna over salon hair color? They colored it back at the end of November and the grays are already starting to show BUT I probably wouldn't do it for at least a few more weeks. I thought I had read somewhere that you could not use henna on color treated hair? I also have a bad tendency to pull a lot of red or orange even when using "ash or cool" colors. Will I have a bad time with henna since it seems to make people's hair be red or orange in the sunlight? I just want a simple dark brown color and don't know if I should continue the salon route or try something totally new.

Any thoughts or advise? :confused:

Thanks!!

Henna Princess
December 22nd, 2011, 10:02 PM
I had my hair salon colored to help cover old highlights that I didn't want anymore. It turned out wonderful and I am very pleased with the dark brown color which is my natural color.

My question is since I am really getting some grays (already!)- can I henna over salon hair color? They colored it back at the end of November and the grays are already starting to show BUT I probably wouldn't do it for at least a few more weeks. I thought I had read somewhere that you could not use henna on color treated hair? I also have a bad tendency to pull a lot of red or orange even when using "ash or cool" colors. Will I have a bad time with henna since it seems to make people's hair be red or orange in the sunlight? I just want a simple dark brown color and don't know if I should continue the salon route or try something totally new.

Any thoughts or advise? :confused:

Thanks!!

I would try to learn more about how to mix henna and other herbs before trying something. You could also go to a henna friendly salon and see what they would use to dye your hair without altering your color.

I turned to henna after going to the salon and getting hot roots. I had to go through 12 strippings (as in bleach/ bleach shampoos) and my hair was very damaged. It took me two full lenght henna applications to see improvement. I also did a hendigo-amla application and as I type I have hendigo on my hair. My goal is to match my lenght to my roots so I can only apply henna to my roots.

Henna is the best decision you can make, but if you don't want to change your color then I'll look the advice of a professional that uses henna.

Hope it helps!

ellisbell
December 22nd, 2011, 10:30 PM
You will be absolutely fine to use henna over salon colour as long as it is BAQ henna, which you can purchase online at depending on location (http://www.hennasooq.com Canada/US) (http://www.mehandi.com US) and (http://www.henna-boy.co.uk UK). You can also sometimes purchase BAQ henna at local indian stores.

The colour outcome with henna is very dependent on your starting colour. I have very dark brown hair and do not see much of a colour change even after having it on for 6 hours. If you only want a brown colour you can do a mix of henna with katam or indigo. You can also mix in amala if you just want to decrease the red. I would take a look at the henna board for mix ideas, some of the articles on here, and http://www.hennaforhair.com/.

I have seen a great improvement in the condition of my hair after henna, I hardly shed anymore and my hair is very shiny. If you do decide on henna make sure you do a deep treatment afterwards because it can be drying at first.

Hollyfire3
December 22nd, 2011, 10:35 PM
I am considering starting henna also, not trying to highjack but, any opinions? I, like the thread starter, want dark brown hair (i would like it less red more neutral or golden though) and am wondering how henna works exactly. what does it do to hair? does it make it thicker, thinner? curlier, less curlier?

ellisbell
December 22nd, 2011, 11:46 PM
For the colour read my comment above.

Short answer to your other questions: henna binds protein to hair and makes it shinier and thicker (for most people but some people like with anything have negative results so look at the henna threads for more info). Henna does have a tendency to loosen curl pattern, but this can be stopped if you add amla to the mix (amla also makes henna less red).

coffinhert
December 23rd, 2011, 01:40 AM
If you guys want to learn about henna, look in the Herbal section, not the "Mane" forum. Henna makes your hair red, not brown. You will never achieve a cool brown with henna. If you mix with indigo you can get a reddish brown, it will shine red in sunlight. There is an entire thread in the Herbal section called "Show me your henndigoed hair" (practice using the search function to find it!) so you can see xamples and recipe tips there.

dmarie16
December 23rd, 2011, 02:42 AM
I have used henna for the past year, and previously had salon dyed/highlighted hair in every color you could imagine. I use henna, indigo and amla in different proportions depending on the shade I want. Amla will make a cooler shade. It will not be ash, but more brown. Look at the color charts on henna for hair. GORGEOUS shades can be achieved with the correct mix.

almond
December 23rd, 2011, 04:04 AM
Henna is great, just keep in mind that it is advised to wait for 3 months before henna if you had chemical dye. Otherwise it might result in an unwanted color - I don't know about salon color, it might be safe... You can always do a hair strand test though, to see what color your hair will be.

Amber_Maiden
December 23rd, 2011, 05:34 AM
Henna is great, just keep in mind that it is advised to wait for 3 months before henna if you had chemical dye. Otherwise it might result in an unwanted color - I don't know about salon color, it might be safe... You can always do a hair strand test though, to see what color your hair will be.

I had no problem hennaing my hair a couple of weeks after dying it, but everyone is different.

TooShort
December 23rd, 2011, 05:48 AM
I just did the henna/indigo thing 2 days ago for the first time. I love love love it.. It did come out feeling dry however, after 24 hours I just washed with a non-waxy shampoo, deep conditioned it, and after it dried (for my hair type) lightly oiled the ends and now it is in better condition then it was prior. I will never use salon/or box dye again. I went Dark Brown which is very close to natural color for me. I have greys framing my face I need to go over one more time. I did not get close enough. I was afraid of it staining my face which did not happen at all. I have a friend I am highlighting her hair for her today but I think I am going to try talking her into the Henna thing. She would look awesome as a Red/Orange. I think once you go Henna you will never go back. Do your homework. Good Luck.

Grow Hair Grow.

jojo
December 23rd, 2011, 06:53 AM
I do weak henna glosses over my box dye and it turns out wonderful.

kristib123
December 23rd, 2011, 12:17 PM
Hmmm... I think this is something I might need to really do more looking into. Thanks for the input! I will check out some of the henna sections here and also see what is available at some of our health food stores. I did do henna a few times at least 15 yrs ago but back then I didn't mind the red shades to a certain point. I also don't remember how reddish it ended up being since it was so long ago.

kristib123
December 23rd, 2011, 12:19 PM
I do weak henna glosses over my box dye and it turns out wonderful.

Yeah, that seems to be what I might have been doing back then since I know I didn't leave it on that long and I had to be careful with how dark or "odd" colored I might achieve since I still lived with my parents :p