PDA

View Full Version : Naturally Dyeing Hair

LadieRyrie
December 22nd, 2011, 08:19 PM
I've been thinking about henndigo and indigo for awhile, but I've decided to try out some temporary hair coloring methods first. I'm curious...has anyone here tried the coffee/black tea, soy sauce/vinegar, or cocoa powder methods?
I have dark hair with red tinges and I don't want any major deviations from my natural color.

If so:

Which method did you use?
How much did your hair color change?
Like or no like?
Overpowering smell?
What type of coffee/tea did you use? Did that make a difference?
How long did the color last?

Or have you used a different method than the above with good results? I'd love to see how these have worked out for other people.

Hollyfire3
December 22nd, 2011, 08:44 PM
I've been thinking about henndigo and indigo for awhile, but I've decided to try out some temporary hair coloring methods first. I'm curious...has anyone here tried the coffee/black tea, soy sauce/vinegar, or cocoa powder methods?
I have dark hair with red tinges and I don't want any major deviations from my natural color.

If so:

Which method did you use?
How much did your hair color change?
Like or no like?
Overpowering smell?
What type of coffee/tea did you use? Did that make a difference?
How long did the color last?

Or have you used a different method than the above with good results? I'd love to see how these have worked out for other people.

I have tried all three of those, they all might have worked with only slight results. The smell was not overpowering once the hair dried. I used black coffee (very strong) and black tea (also strong) The color only lasts about 1-2 washes if that and you have to do it continuouly to even notice a change. The cocoa powder also has to be done continuously to notice anything. My hair is medium (dark brown dyed) brown naturally and i noticed little change to the color. Maybe i just didn't use it long enough. Honestly, just use a semi permanent color if you want to see the change it has. semi permanent isn't AS damaging as permanent and it does wash out eventually.

Nera
December 23rd, 2011, 12:33 PM
I agree with Hollyfire, on my hair those natural methods never actually changed my color. I've even tried molasses.

Hollyfire3
December 23rd, 2011, 01:54 PM
A good, easy way to darken (well enrich) your hair color is the john frieda brilliant brunettes color glaze. It is not actual hair color and does not contain any staying chemicals (amonia etc) but it goes on like a deep conditioner, (put on, leave in for 3 mins) rinse out, style. If you use it 5-6 times, it makes your hair richer in color. I have used it for about 2 yrs now with good results. Not sure if it is the color change you are looking for but it is subtle and works well.