PDA

View Full Version : Help? Thoughts?

Kherome
December 22nd, 2011, 06:25 PM
In September a good friend of mine (of almost 20 years) passed away. She had Cystic Fibrosis, and a double lung transplant. The transplant failed and she passed. I was with her the entire last week of her life, and it was a very, very stressful time as I am sure you can imagine.

Due to the stress I ended up having a pretty heavy shed. (Yep, I went to the doc and had all the standard "hair falling out tests.") While that was bad enough, then my ends started being velcro-y.

We just came home from Hawaii, (Celebrated my 10th anniversary with the hubs, and also a pre-deployment trip for him. I also met Akuamoonmaui from LHC!) and the sun, wind and salt didn't exactly love my hair either.

Today I threw up my hands, stomped into a salon and had a random stylist cut it. Don't panic, it was just 2" or so...LOL. Now I am desperate to make my hair go back to it's previous state and stop annoying the tar out of me.

Suggestions?

Hollyfire3
December 22nd, 2011, 06:31 PM
Maybe you just needed a good trim to be rid of those velcroy ends? Or maybe you have protein overload? Try clarifying, then try a good deep conditioner. No heat styling and be gentle. All will be fine.

Miss Catrina
December 22nd, 2011, 06:32 PM
I'm so sorry that happened to you.

Sounds like you could use some deep conditioning/moisturizing treatments.

beautifulending
December 22nd, 2011, 06:52 PM
I am so sorry for your loss.:( you sound like a very kind friend. I hope your hair gets back to where it once was.:flower:

anikadear
December 22nd, 2011, 07:41 PM
((hugs)) I'm sorry to hear about your friend. I also think you could use a deep conditioning to add some moisture into your hair, especially after being on the beach. The sandy air probably did a number on your hair. If your hair doesn't like protein you could also do s a protein treatment overnight.

cheetahfast
December 22nd, 2011, 07:57 PM
:grouphug: I'm sorry about your friend.

I would suggest castor oil scalp massages to remedy the shed. Since you just got your ends cut today, I say wait and see how they feel. I like to EVOO mine before I wash or I coconut oil them after I wash. It helps to keep them soft.

vanity_acefake
December 22nd, 2011, 08:04 PM
Oh I'm so sorry for your friends passing. I carry the CF gene so I know all about this horrible disease.
As to your hair, deep conditioning treatments, coconut oil soaks or a SMT?

Amber_Maiden
December 22nd, 2011, 08:19 PM
I'd do some moisture masks, take it easy, and eat well.

FrozenBritannia
December 22nd, 2011, 09:05 PM
I am so sorry to hear about your friend. One of my close cousins has CF, and i really wish they would hurry up and find a cure. :(

Mearwynna
December 22nd, 2011, 10:22 PM
Frequent smt's are really awesome for adding condition back into dry hair. Also, a bit of honey in the conditioner can help attract moisture, but if you don't like honey then try coconut oil or olive oil the night before you wash.

Kherome
December 23rd, 2011, 07:49 PM
I did give the SMT a go. I guess it's just stress that needs to resolve.

AnnaJamila
December 23rd, 2011, 07:54 PM
Maybe just do some deep moisturizing then put it up for a month or two and see what you get! After not seeing it down or agonizing over it for a while you may not see as much to distress. I'm so very sorry to hear about your friend, dear. Love and peace to you as you continue to heal. :flower:

NativeGirl
December 23rd, 2011, 08:09 PM
I'm sorry for your loss. :( My hubby has cystic fibrosis, so I know all too well about the stress it brings. I recently went through a big shed due to stress because of his health. My ends have been the same way as yours. After a recent trim, I've been making sure to moisturize and keep it up.

Tapioca
December 23rd, 2011, 08:12 PM
IMO, that trim was probably the best thing you could have done. I don't know of any way of repairing ends that have split, so snip them off.