PDA

View Full Version : Hair washing wierdness?

Hollyfire3
December 22nd, 2011, 02:43 PM
Yes, Hollyfire here, back again looking for answers. I have now clarifyed my hair with no results. It is still thinner, limper and all around yucky. I have no clue what is wrong with my hair, i wash it tommorow. My theroy is that every 4 or so washes, the body, thickness and curl comes competly back. This makes no logical sense, i do the same thing, use the same products and even when i switch around in an attempt to fix this, the results are the same. Any suggestions? Ideas as to why you think this is happening? i really need help here guys, i am freaking out and am starting to think this is not fixable and that now i have limp, non curly think hair. I am not losing any more hair then ussual and i just got a trim 3 weeks ago. All help is needed!

coffinhert
December 22nd, 2011, 03:28 PM
Sometimes I'm super annoyed at my hair and I have to just stop thinking about it for a couple weeks, put it in a bun every day.

As for getting your curl back, have you tried using coconut oil as a leave-in and smoothing it through wet hair with a boar-bristle brush? The position my hair is in as it dries affects how flat it looks after.

Hollyfire3
December 22nd, 2011, 03:31 PM
Sometimes I'm super annoyed at my hair and I have to just stop thinking about it for a couple weeks, put it in a bun every day.

As for getting your curl back, have you tried using coconut oil as a leave-in and smoothing it through wet hair with a boar-bristle brush? The position my hair is in as it dries affects how flat it looks after.

I have done that, but it is all the time that it is screwed. How thick is your hair? my hair is ussually ridiculouly thick, so this is all very dissapointing to me.

spidermom
December 22nd, 2011, 03:51 PM
What products are you using and how are you using them?

ladonna
December 22nd, 2011, 03:52 PM
Whenever I feel bad about my hair I take a picture, it always makes me feel better. I thought my hair wasn't growing and I'm shedding so I thought it looked horrible, then I took a pic and realized that it is growing and the shed isn't noticeable.

Hollyfire3
December 22nd, 2011, 03:55 PM
What products are you using and how are you using them?

I'm using mousse, air drying and fluffing hair to speed drying. I do the same thing every time but only the 4th or so wash does it actually work. The other times, it goes flat, lifeless and my actuall ponytail is thinner. I have never had thin hair before! I thought it was damage, then protein overload but i thought i had fixed all this...now it is just messed up all over again. Absolutly nothing i do any of the other 3 washes seems to work. again, this seems beyond logic and makes no sense, i have pics to compare, but they are on my phone and i lost the cord to upload them...

Hollyfire3
December 22nd, 2011, 03:57 PM
Whenever I feel bad about my hair I take a picture, it always makes me feel better. I thought my hair wasn't growing and I'm shedding so I thought it looked horrible, then I took a pic and realized that it is growing and the shed isn't noticeable.

I take a picture and relize it really does look bad, so then i feel worse.

spidermom
December 22nd, 2011, 04:03 PM
And you wash/condition your hair with ______?

Hollyfire3
December 22nd, 2011, 04:54 PM
And you wash/condition your hair with ______?

Oh sorry, i forgot to say that part didnt i...opps
i used vo5 kiwi lime shampoo and conditioner for clarifying the last time i washed
usually i use quantum browns shampoo mixed with a bit of biolage color care shampoo and only the qantum browns conditioner i have tried the loreal moisture sls free shampoo with bad results and have used the nexxus ultimate moisture 2 weeks ago for about a month because i though protein was causing this, protein still might be the problem but my hair is no longer rough liek it was. Now, it is just limp, thinner and flat...all around disgusting, except for that amazing miracle 4th wash.

ktani
December 22nd, 2011, 05:48 PM
It is not hopeless. I think from what you are saying some of the products are just not working well with the others used.

The easiest solution is too change everything for a while, after claryifying, when you are ready to do so again. Overclarifying hair is not good for it.

Start with lighter products and add a styling product after you have tested the new shampoo and conditioner to see how your hair likes them.

There are good gels and mousses that are not as intense. Read reviews and see what the problems are with each one. All conditioners, styling aids and conditioning shampoos build-up on hair. You may not need intense conditoning all of the time.

Hollyfire3
December 22nd, 2011, 05:54 PM
It is not hopeless. I think from what you are saying some of the products are just not working well with the others used.

The easiest solution is too change everything for a while, after claryifying, when you are ready to do so again. Overclarifying hair is not good for it.

Start with lighter products and add a styling product after you have tested the new shampoo and conditioner to see how your hair likes them.

There are good gels and mousses that are not as intense. Read reviews and see what the problems are with each one. All conditioners, styling aids and conditioning shampoos build-up on hair. You may not need intense conditoning all of the time.

Thank you soo much! What shampoo should i use? What sort, i have color depositing, moisturizing, volumizing, coconut, sls free, keratin..many others. Can i keep trying my mousse to see how it interacts with the shampoo i choose to try next? I will read up online to see if i can find a better product. I probably will not experiment until after the holidays because i know pictures will be being taken. Heres to fixing this and hoping this 4th wash will yield perfect hair! any other suggestions Ktani? You truely are amazing!

julliams
December 22nd, 2011, 06:16 PM
Could it be something as simple as weather?

ktani
December 22nd, 2011, 06:19 PM
Thank you soo much! What shampoo should i use? What sort, i have color depositing, moisturizing, volumizing, coconut, sls free, keratin..many others. Can i keep trying my mousse to see how it interacts with the shampoo i choose to try next? I will read up online to see if i can find a better product. I probably will not experiment until after the holidays because i know pictures will be being taken. Heres to fixing this and hoping this 4th wash will yield perfect hair! any other suggestions Ktani? You truely are amazing!

The holidays are the priority now. Save the experimenting until after the pictures so you will not be worried about "what if".

Prell in the bottle and Neutrgena Anti-Residue shampoo are good, basic clarifying shampoos. However, you should not need to clarify too often.

The idea is that you find compatible products that work well with your hair, hair colour and your scalp and skin, and that you can use until you need to clarify every so often, not often. It is about a routine that is effective, reasonabe in price, and good to and for your hair. It is out there!

Hollyfire3
December 22nd, 2011, 06:36 PM
The holidays are the priority now. Save the experimenting until after the pictures so you will not be worried about "what if".

Prell in the bottle and Neutrgena Anti-Residue shampoo are good, basic clarifying shampoos. However, you should not need to clarify too often.

The idea is that you find compatible products that work well with your hair, hair colour and your scalp and skin, and that you can use until you need to clarify every so often, not often. It is about a routine that is effective, reasonabe in price, and good to and for your hair. It is out there!

Thanks for the hope! I will be going to get those shampoos soon(one of them) how often should i need to clarify?

ktani
December 22nd, 2011, 06:46 PM
Thanks for the hope! I will be going to get those shampoos soon(one of them) how often should i need to clarify?

Not as often as you have been doing, maybe once or twice a month or longer, depending on what you are using and how your hair reacts to what you are using. It is about the frequency and amount of product you use each time too. You may simply need to use less conditioner and mousse than you think.

Protein overload is an overused meaningless statement in my opinion unless you are using products with a lot of protein in them, which is simply another form of coating, high up on the ingredient list. Not all protein is bad any more than silicone or mineral oil or most conventional ingredients in a well formulated product.

Hollyfire3
December 22nd, 2011, 06:53 PM
Not as often as you have been doing, maybe once or twice a month or longer, depending on what you are using and how your hair reacts to what you are using. It is about the frequency and amount of product you use each time too. You may simply need to use less conditioner and mousse than you think.

Protein overload is an overused meaningless statement in my opinion unless you are using products with a lot of protein in them, which is simply another form of coating, high up on the ingredient list. Not all protein is bad any more than silicone or mineral oil or most conventional ingredients in a well formulated product.

I truely did have protein overload, it was my own fault though. I had used the henna and placenta conditioner over and over like 3 times a week and i was using a protein filled blow dry lotion and many other reconstructing products. I think i have balanced it with much moisture so, i am good on that front. I know not all protein is bad. I will try less conditioner and less mousse. Again, thansk so much!

ktani
December 22nd, 2011, 06:59 PM
I truely did have protein overload, it was my own fault though. I had used the henna and placenta conditioner over and over like 3 times a week and i was using a protein filled blow dry lotion and many other reconstructing products. I think i have balanced it with much moisture so, i am good on that front. I know not all protein is bad. I will try less conditioner and less mousse. Again, thansk so much!

You are very welcome.

Ok, now it is starting to be clearer. You overdid products that coated your hair. Clarifying cannot always remove heavy coatings in one shot. and not all products that say they contain protein do in the amounts suggested - they can be more polymeric than protein filled. However, you overdid it, whatever was in them.

I would avoid those products for now.

Hollyfire3
December 22nd, 2011, 07:04 PM
You are very welcome.

Ok, now it is starting to be clearer. You overdid products that coated your hair. Clarifying cannot always remove heavy coatings in one shot. and not all products that say they contain protein do in the amounts suggested - they can be more polymeric than protein filled. However, you overdid it, whatever was in them.

I would avoid those products for now.

I am staying farr away from all the products i mentioned, i have been since the summer. Maybe they are still in my hair because i have however been trying other products that are probably building up. I will go back to my basics and try to figure this out, oh and get some sleep and think clearer i will be sure to do that.