PDA

View Full Version : Illness making my hair ugly :(

DarkBeauty
December 22nd, 2011, 02:27 PM
My hair is dry, frizzy, limp thinning from what used to be thick. Has stopped growing, what is the cause of this? I'm not using straighteners/dye ect, thyroid test is normal, eat healthy ect. I don't know what to do about this, but i'm only young too :(

My mum and dad still have a thick, probably thicker head of hair and they are in their 50's! So i doubt it is genetic either

Madora
December 22nd, 2011, 02:43 PM
I doubt if it has stopped growing.

Perhaps it would be best for you to make an appointment with your physician and have your blood tested for anemia and your thyroid also. Once you know the score, you can then go to plan B, which is to get your hair healthy again.

If seeing a doctor is not an option, then you might want to re-examine your hair routine. Maybe there's something that you're using/doing that is not conducive to good hair growth.

I hope you find the solution soon.

Amber_Maiden
December 22nd, 2011, 02:46 PM
I doubt it has stopped growing either. Just give it time.

DarkBeauty
December 22nd, 2011, 03:03 PM
Yes, well i had anemia 5 months ago and then my thyroid started playing up slightly (it went low) and then they found antibodies attacking my own thyroid and they passed it off as normal? since then my HG levels are normal because i've been on the treatment, although i still need to take lower doses of it daily. I thought hair is meant to restore 3 months after it is fixed? I don't know, but i think i saw a really bad endocrinologist who didn't do anything, just passed the symptoms off as anxiety? But i am not?

arcane
December 22nd, 2011, 03:10 PM
Sometimes things affect hair months after they happen. Since it's only been a couple of months since you were anemic and had a low tyroid I suspect your hair is still suffering from the stress/deficianies/hormones. Just because a doctor says 3 months doesn't mean it will be 3 months, that is probably the average. If your hair hasn't improved in a month or two I'd consider going back and making sure everything is still okay. However since you are worried now it probably wouldn't harm to get everything checked out again. It's all about what you feel is right for you.

I've had massive sheds and slow growth 5 to 6 months after the probable stressor. Then it took several more months for my hair to return to it's normal rate of growth/shed.

texchick
December 22nd, 2011, 08:05 PM
May I suggest getting a second opinion from a different endocrinologist? I saw three and only the last one was really willing to help me. Hair loss is not a benign symptom so if its not thyroid someone needs to help you figure out what it is.

My endo did say, however, that hair is very sensitive and it can take months once the imbalance is corrected to see recovery in the hair.