PDA

View Full Version : Tags

physicschick
March 14th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Who is tagging threads? I think it's great--this will be a really useful feature. Thank you to everyone who's participating!

Also, is there a list somewhere of all the tags? I haven't found it yet, but maybe somebody else has.

snowbear
March 14th, 2008, 06:09 PM
I just realized that I can edit tags. That's awesome.

Oh, and it case it wasn't totally obvious, I haven't been editing the tags. :grin:

LisaJaney
March 14th, 2008, 07:30 PM
I tagged one, but have NO idea what it did (other than add a tag) or what the PURPOSE is, nor if anyone but ME saw the post I tagged (I mean: was it visible to anyone but me? Should I tag threads that I post in, so that I know, because the little dot-in-circle at the left isn't telling me "hey, BIM, you posted in this thread!" anymore)

dancingbarefoot
March 14th, 2008, 07:38 PM
I keep forgetting that the tag system even exists. :oops: How can we add tags to existing posts and threads? I don't see it when I go to edit, even in advanced mode.

Teacherbear
March 14th, 2008, 07:45 PM
I just tagged the Swap Board User Guidelines. I tagged it with "swap, sell, buy, trade"

LisaJaney
March 14th, 2008, 07:46 PM
But but but... It doesn't say "this is tagged because it's interesting" or "this is tagged because a fight's about to erupt" or "it's tagged because Sally posted here and I alwyas like to read her stuff". I don't "get" the tags. What do they DO? And does EVERYONE see the tag I put, or just me? And if we have a dozen mods tagging stuff, plus members tagging stuff, then everything'll be tagged all to heck and I won't be able to find a friggin thing.

Does that make sense?

PatGear
March 14th, 2008, 08:05 PM
I think everyone can tag any thread and everyone can see them. The Edit Tags is on the "Tag" bar right above the quick reply box at the bottom of each thread.

If you click on one of the tags for each thread, say, the "sell" tag on TB's swap thread, then it should bring up all the threads that are tagged "sell".

At least that's how I think it works from what another member (Rae?) explained to me.

snowbear
March 14th, 2008, 08:07 PM
A tag is a useful way to catalog posts for ease of reference. There can be tags for "tmi", "brushes", "chickens", etc. If you want to read all posts that are tagged as such, you simply click the tag, and all of them will be displayed.

To tag a thread, go to the "Tags" bar, located under the "Bookmarks" bar, right above the Quick Reply. Opposite of where it says "Tags" it should say "Edit Tags". Click that, edit, and then save.

Did that help explain it?

orbiting
March 14th, 2008, 08:09 PM
And if we have a dozen mods tagging stuff, plus members tagging stuff, then everything'll be tagged all to heck and I won't be able to find a friggin thing.

I would worry about that too but I'm sure if it got out of hand you could change the permissions of who could do it...

LisaJaney
March 14th, 2008, 08:26 PM
I tagged that thread but there is no place to say "tagged because it's a cool TMI about periods" or "tagged because snowbear's being silly again". Just a generic tag. Or do I put the TOPIC in my bookmark? THAT would make sense... Maybe I finally GOT something! Mark it on your calendar! Or, better yet: TAG IT! HAHAHAHAHAHHA

OK, I don't see anywhere a "quick reply", so I'm lost agian. You'd probably better cut your losses and give up on me. This is lke trying to teach Grandma how to program her VCR, then telling her "you can watch one thing while you're taping something else." Remember the scene from City SLickers? "My gosh, the COWS can program a VCR by now!" Yep, that's me!

capelli lunghi
March 14th, 2008, 08:34 PM
You can see a list of tags at the bottom of the advanced search page.. Very cool!!

When you tag something.. use words that, if you were searching for that post, would make sense and are about that post.

For example.. If you read a post that has very useful information about a honey & lemon juice recipe.. In the tags, I would put "honey" and "lemon juice" as tags ... also.. someone else could add other search terms (tags) that could be "recipe" and "lighten hair"...

Just think of tags as search terms that you can add to posts to make them easier to find.

Oh.. and I add tags whenever I remember to! LOL

LisaJaney
March 14th, 2008, 08:38 PM
So you're tagging "words within a post" rather than the post itself or the whole thread-itself?

This just gets worse and worse.

The cows can tag posts by now, Lisa....

physicschick
March 14th, 2008, 08:51 PM
You can see a list of tags at the bottom of the advanced search page.. Very cool!!

Thanks, capelli! I knew I saw that somewhere, but then I couldn't find it again. I think it's a fun feature.

Lisa, you are a hoot. :rollin: :bull: The tags are for threads, I think, not individual posts. I noticed that people have tagged several threads "jojoba," including kimberlily's defrizz spray, which contains jojoba. If I have some jojoba oil and don't know what to do with it, I can click on the "jojoba" tag and find some recipes people tagged that require it. Of course I could also use the search function, but if I'm already viewing one of these threads, it's very convenient to click on "jojoba" and see the others too. This becomes more useful as more people add informative tags. (A single thread can have several tags, by the way. The defrizz spray also has an "aloe gel" tag.)

If you still can't find where to add tags to this thread, scroll down below that funny bar near the bottom that says "delicio.us" and some other things. The next thing below that should be for tagging. [ETA: So below the lowest post, below the moderation menu (for Lisa, probably not the rest of you), below that bookmarks bar, and above the quick reply box. You can see the tag I already added, or you can click "edit tags" to add more.]

Juliet's Silk
March 15th, 2008, 04:32 AM
Yesterday I browsed the forums and when I was reading one thread, I got a "similar threads" list at the bottom of the site. I guess that works via tags as well?

snowbear
April 29th, 2008, 07:25 PM
Juliet's Silk, I just realized your question never got answered.

To answer your question, you are correct. Tags groups similar threads together, and that's what shows up at the bottom of the threads. It's not perfect, however!

Nightshade
April 29th, 2008, 09:48 PM
I've been tagging :) Trying to only tag threads that have useful advice that's on topic and has several posts.

snowbear
April 29th, 2008, 09:54 PM
I've been tagging, too. I type slowly during tagging, to see if a pre-made is available, or if I need to create my own. So far I've created a few, but I've enjoyed being able to pick a pre-made tag.

Ursula
April 30th, 2008, 06:35 AM
So you're tagging "words within a post" rather than the post itself or the whole thread-itself?

This just gets worse and worse.

The cows can tag posts by now, Lisa....

Lisa,

Tags apply to the whole thread.

What they are is "keywords" - words that tell you the topic of the thread. This is done to let people find threads that are on the same topic. So if you see a thread is talking about menstural cups, you might tag it "menstruation" and "menstural cup". Then, there might be another thread about menstrual cramps - it meight be tagged "menstural cramps" "menstruation" and "cramps." A thread about leg cramps might be tagged "leg cramps" and "cramps."

Then, say I have a cramp of some sort, and want information. I do a search on the tags, and click on "cramps." I get back both the menstural cramps thread and the leg cramps thread. Or, if I have a menstural cramp, I search "mensturation" and get the menstrual cups thread and the menstural cramps thread. But if I search for menstrual cramps, I get only the menstural cramps threads.

Plus, say I open the menstural cramps thread. At the bottom, I see the mensturation tag. I click on the tag, and get other mensturation-related threads - threads that people have tagged menstruation.

It's a quick way to tell people "this is what the thread is about, if you want to talk about this topic, please come hear and join our conversation!"

anna1850
May 3rd, 2008, 08:37 AM
Also, is there a list somewhere of all the tags? I haven't found it yet, but maybe somebody else has.

Sorry if someone else has answered this but I couldn't see it.

If you go to the tag box at the bottom of a thread and you click on the word 'tags' in the grey box, it will take you to a list of the most popular tags.

Or you can just use this link (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/tags.php)

creativehoney
May 14th, 2009, 06:23 AM
I've been trying to figure out what tagging meant, too.

So, is it an easier way to search instead of doing a forum jump?
And also helping others find stuff, too?

aisling
May 14th, 2009, 11:00 AM
It's a way to make it easier to find threads, that's true. The search doesn't always give you the wanted result, it can't search for three letter words for example, they have to be 4 letters long. As an example, there's a product called Wen hair care, you can't search on just Wen because it's too short. New threads about this keep on popping up because people can't use tags, there's a big thread about this product already. Same thing with CO, conditioner only, CO is too short to search, conditioner will give you waaaay too many hits.

The only thing I wish is that the tag cloud page (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/tags.php) would be easier for people to find, perhaps tags would be more used as a mean for searching relevant threads then. Perhaps a link under "Search" or "Quick Links" in the toolbar above?

Calista
May 14th, 2009, 11:13 AM
Also the forum search will only yield results if the word is actually used in a thread. For instance, a thread about nose picking could be tagged "TMI", although the actual word is not used within the thread and therefore the search function would not yield a result.

Did anybody understand that? :lol: TMI is a bad example anyway, because it is a three-letter word.