PDA

View Full Version : What to with it?

FrozenBritannia
December 22nd, 2011, 09:23 AM
Well, i am officially done my hair up till xmas challenge! Yay me! I didn't get as much growth as i hoped for, but i didn't do too bad.
The problem is, now what do i do with it? Here is a recent-ish pic for length, it doesn't really show the odd ends throughout but ok.
http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j453/FrozenBritannia/hair/Hairtwo/441f1a77.jpg
Sorry about the size. (i am eternally sorry for size these days!)

I am looking for new updo ideas for that length keeping in mind that my hair is quite thin and despite the length i don't really have enough hair for a real bun it seems, unless i am doing it wrong, which is possible. I am also looking for partial updos, or just ways to make it look nice down. I will be around family for the next week after saturday and you know how they can be... :rolleyes:

Eta: i would really like to wear my hair down, but i can't figure out how to make it look good. I have the same issues as a toddler who has never had a haircut. All different lengths.

Amazinggrace
December 22nd, 2011, 09:27 AM
A gibson tuck, french twist, a french braid on each side pined together in the middle, a messy clip bun.

heidi w.
December 22nd, 2011, 09:49 AM
You have just barely enough to do a little kind of bun, or braided something in the back and possibly allow tendrils of a sort to hang in the front. I don't know what your front looks like. It appears to be significantly shorter than the back, though.

This is a tough hairstyle to work with where the hair is all different lengths. Consider doing a side part, working with asymmetrical looks, that kind of thing. Use fun clips that have sparkley bits on them for accent and hold. You may also have to use an occasional spritz of hair spray to help with hold and keeping it out of your face during the day.

heidi w.

Sundial
December 22nd, 2011, 09:57 AM
If you are good with braids and would like your hair in an updo for the festive season, you could try the senco braid http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=66974&highlight=senco+braid I believe it is possible for your hair length, hair that is too long will tangle midway :p

Otherwise, you can do a diagonal Dutch braid and secure with a pretty hair tie or claw clip. I remember seeing pictures in other LHC members' albums where they used a huge fabric flower or a really pretty butterfly claw clip (to secure a bun at the end of the braid)

ETA: by the way, when I was growing out layers at awkward stages, halfup was my best friend. It bundles up all the topmost shorter layers and makes my hair seem more neat somehow. Halfups will still allow you to show off your length. Or you can try the waterfall braid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y90s6neUKEY or just some accent braids so that the attention will be on the top of your head and not your hemline, and you can still wear your hair down

FrozenBritannia
December 22nd, 2011, 10:07 AM
A gibson tuck, french twist, a french braid on each side pined together in the middle, a messy clip bun. those are the ones i have been doing, but thanks!

You have just barely enough to do a little kind of bun, or braided something in the back and possibly allow tendrils of a sort to hang in the front. I don't know what your front looks like. It appears to be significantly shorter than the back, though.

This is a tough hairstyle to work with where the hair is all different lengths. Consider doing a side part, working with asymmetrical looks, that kind of thing. Use fun clips that have sparkley bits on them for accent and hold. You may also have to use an occasional spritz of hair spray to help with hold and keeping it out of your face during the day.

heidi w.
It is shorter in the front. I haven't had a real haircut since it all fell out, just some evening up on the ends, so it is very piecey and toddler like. Thanks for the tips, i will see if i still have any little butterfly barrets!

If you are good with braids and would like your hair in an updo for the festive season, you could try the senco braid http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=66974&highlight=senco+braid I believe it is possible for your hair length, hair that is too long will tangle midway :p

Otherwise, you can do a diagonal Dutch braid and secure with a pretty hair tie or claw clip. I remember seeing pictures in other LHC members' albums where they used a huge fabric flower or a really pretty butterfly claw clip (to secure a bun at the end of the braid)

ETA: by the way, when I was growing out layers at awkward stages, halfup was my best friend. It bundles up all the topmost shorter layers and makes my hair seem more neat somehow. Halfups will still allow you to show off your length. Or you can try the waterfall braid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y90s6neUKEY or just some accent braids so that the attention will be on the top of your head and not your hemline, and you can still wear your hair down

Thanks! That senco braid looks amazing, i will attempt it and see how it works! I will check out the waterfall braid too!

Amber_Maiden
December 22nd, 2011, 10:28 AM
I would say funk it up a bit. You can make little spikes everywhere... with a homemade gel? Or maybe wear a cool hair band?

FrozenBritannia
December 22nd, 2011, 11:42 AM
I would say funk it up a bit. You can make little spikes everywhere... with a homemade gel? Or maybe wear a cool hair band?

I took that to mean rock style it, so since i was clarifying anyways, i decided to put it no conditioner and scruch it with some left over beach waves spray and let it dry.
Looks okay in the back i guess
http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j453/FrozenBritannia/hair/de75edd3.jpg

The front is a bit flatter
http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j453/FrozenBritannia/hair/5a32740c.jpg

I really suck at taking pictures of myself. Oh well. I feel like it just looks messy, so i think i will combine your advice and heidi's for today, and do rock in the back and clips in the front. I am really regretting not buying a crochet headband i spotted a while back. Oh well.

Eta: notice the bits in the top picture on the left side, not in the mirror, that is what i mean by each piece being a different length, it looks wierd, doesn't it, i have checked and they are not split. Its also not quite dry on the bottom yet.

uptosomeone
December 22nd, 2011, 11:44 AM
Just want to throw headband curls out there. You can use them to give the front especially a bit of variation, then pin the back as you please. Personally I've skip trying to get it into a bun (unless you do some sort of a twist, which it looks like you're already doing) and go straight for the bobby pins, because you can create fake length with them. :)

moxamoll
December 22nd, 2011, 11:46 AM
I took that to mean rock style it, so since i was clarifying anyways, i decided to put it no conditioner and scruch it with some left over beach waves spray and let it dry.
Looks okay in the back i guess
http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j453/FrozenBritannia/hair/de75edd3.jpg

The front is a bit flatter
http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j453/FrozenBritannia/hair/5a32740c.jpg

I really suck at taking pictures of myself. Oh well. I feel like it just looks messy, so i think i will combine your advice and heidi's for today, and do rock in the back and clips in the front. I am really regretting not buying a crochet headband i spotted a while back. Oh well.
Is it just me or could throw on a little more eye-liner and be Chrissie Hynde? I think it looks great! :D

FrozenBritannia
December 22nd, 2011, 11:48 AM
Just want to throw headband curls out there. You can use them to give the front especially a bit of variation, then pin the back as you please. Personally I've skip trying to get it into a bun (unless you do some sort of a twist, which it looks like you're already doing) and go straight for the bobby pins, because you can create fake length with them. :)

Despite the waves, or apparent waves, whichever they are, my hair won't hold a curl. I will check them out though, maybe there is a alternative something i can do in the front. Thanks!

FrozenBritannia
December 22nd, 2011, 11:52 AM
Is it just me or could throw on a little more eye-liner and be Chrissie Hynde? I think it looks great! :D

I might have to buy more eyeliner to do that lol. Thanks. :)

jacqueline101
December 22nd, 2011, 12:28 PM
Half up hair do like a bun would be cute.

FrozenBritannia
December 22nd, 2011, 09:08 PM
Half up hair do like a bun would be cute.

I will have to try that. It will be a very small bun, but maybe if i braid the section first and then wind it around it might beef it up a bit.

I have trying that senca braid all night, i can do it right till it runs into my bangs and then it starts to fall out. I think i am just not doing it tight enough. It looks really cool though!!

ladonna
December 22nd, 2011, 09:14 PM
You look pretty cute with the messy hair!

uptosomeone
December 22nd, 2011, 09:15 PM
Despite the waves, or apparent waves, whichever they are, my hair won't hold a curl. I will check them out though, maybe there is a alternative something i can do in the front. Thanks!

Even if it won't hold with headband curls you could wear the wrapped style as a variation on whatever bunning methods you're using right now too. It's a bit bohemian in style, quite fun and different. :)

FrozenBritannia
December 22nd, 2011, 09:31 PM
You look pretty cute with the messy hair! :o it will take some getting used to, i have never purposely worn my hair messy before!

Even if it won't hold with headband curls you could wear the wrapped style as a variation on whatever bunning methods you're using right now too. It's a bit bohemian in style, quite fun and different. :)

thats true! I will definately try that!

julliams
December 22nd, 2011, 09:49 PM
I think those pics of your hair look great. If it were my hair I would go with that and I would also twist the sides and pin them with bobby pins for a more romantic look when the occasion required. I reckon you might be able to start doing some cute little messy french braiding along the front and then just pin to the side.

Libbylou
December 23rd, 2011, 03:17 AM
Ok, at the risk of sounding total insane, before I started to grow my hair I used to pay lots of money to make my hair look like yours. I wanted my hair to look like an anime character haha. So I like the messy look. Now I usually do a half up with the shorter layers kinda twisted or a topsy half pony with a decorative bobby in the middle.

FrozenBritannia
December 23rd, 2011, 07:51 AM
I think those pics of your hair look great. If it were my hair I would go with that and I would also twist the sides and pin them with bobby pins for a more romantic look when the occasion required. I reckon you might be able to start doing some cute little messy french braiding along the front and then just pin to the side. both good ideas, thanks!!

Ok, at the risk of sounding total insane, before I started to grow my hair I used to pay lots of money to make my hair look like yours. I wanted my hair to look like an anime character haha. So I like the messy look. Now I usually do a half up with the shorter layers kinda twisted or a topsy half pony with a decorative bobby in the middle.

:) i haven't watched much anime, but you are right, they do tend to have very messy hair!

Thanks everyone for the tips, i feel ready to face the relatives now!

BrightEyes
December 23rd, 2011, 09:41 AM
My hair is an inch or two shy of your length (I need to update my avatar pic) and I wear halfups a lot. I use a xs flexi-8 clip to hold the top section back or I'll secure a little twisty with Grahtoe Studio micro mini forks. I can also put a light gel in it, scrunch a bit and air dry. I have to say, I think your hair scrunched looks very funky and pretty:)

One thing I've recently been trying is curling my hair with Caruso steam rollers. They give me some good volume and body.

FrozenBritannia
December 23rd, 2011, 01:21 PM
My hair is an inch or two shy of your length (I need to update my avatar pic) and I wear halfups a lot. I use a xs flexi-8 clip to hold the top section back or I'll secure a little twisty with Grahtoe Studio micro mini forks. I can also put a light gel in it, scrunch a bit and air dry. I have to say, I think your hair scrunched looks very funky and pretty:)

One thing I've recently been trying is curling my hair with Caruso steam rollers. They give me some good volume and body.

I don't have many hair toys but after xmas i plan to get some. I have heard so much about those rollers they sound great!!
Although if i need more body i just step out in the wind, any more volume and i might fly away after that!