PDA

View Full Version : Happy to be here

marena
December 21st, 2011, 07:47 PM
Hello, everyone!

I will start by specifying that I'm not very fluent in English writing (Spanish is my native language), but I try to write the best I can so please, please, please correct me if you find any mistake :).

I have been growing my hair since August '10 but I didn't register my initial hair lenght. I believe it was little below my shoulders. Today I'm past BSL (Bra Strap Lenght, right? (still trying to learn all the abbreviations)), or maybe longer. I think I have to take new photos and share them here.

I visited this amazing community for the first time a few months ago and I wanted to say that I find it to be really helpful and fun at the same time. Would you mind giving me tips for getting started? I'll work my way into it gradually while I get to know you so feel free to ask me anything!

Thanks in advance, and greetings from México :flowers:

Madora
December 21st, 2011, 07:58 PM
Welcome, Marena!

Some general hair tips:

1) Use a wide tooth comb for detangling.
Work from the ends of the hair, combing small sections as you work up the strands until you reach the roots.

2) Never, ever, brush your hair when it is wet!

3) Wear your hair up to protect the delicate ends

4) Use only hair friendly toys and elastics. No metal in the middle of elastic bands.

5) Unless your hair is oily, try shampooing your hair only once a week. Shampooing your hair every day will eventally strip it of its natural oil (unless you put something back to restore the lost sebum)

6) Try a satin pillowcase to protect your hair at night

7) Eat a healthy diet and drink plenty of water

8) Avoid blow frying, heat appliances.

9) Air dry your hair

10) Keep the ends trimmed (every 3 to 4 months)

11) Do S and D (Search and Destroy) to snip off the damaged ends

12) Brush your hair with a natural boar bristle brush (no plastic).

HOW you use the brush makes all the difference in your hair's appearance. Brushing distributes the hair's natural oil, removes lint and dead cells, exercises the hair follices and over time, leaves your hair shiny and very soft.

13) Above all, be patient! Average hair growth is 6 inches a year. Some grow faster, some slower.

14) As your hair grows longer, learn how to do different updos.

Have a happy hair growing viaje, Marena!

jacqueline101
December 21st, 2011, 09:31 PM
Welcome and I hope you continue to like us. I'd like to add one more thing hair skin and nail vitamins are good. Sometimes to find the perfect routine you have to experiment with different oils and hair products. Use good scissors on micro trims and search and destroy.

marena
December 21st, 2011, 10:35 PM
Thank you for taking the time to answer my post!

I have to say that I already do most of the things you suggested and bought professional hair scissors 6 months ago and do S&D every morning, hehe. I will put "Get a Boar Bristle Brush" in my to do list, though.

I lived in Cali, Colombia for a year and all the local girls had gorgeous and long, healthy hair. One suggested me to star taking Biotin so I took 5000 mcg for 2 months and my hair stopped falling and my nails were stronger. I think my hair grew faster too. I came back to México and couldn't find Biotin here (just significantly smaller doses)so started taking FutureBiotics - Hair, Skin and Nails supplement. I don't see a big difference but I'm being patient :) That's one of the things I've learned in this long hair journey.

Thank you and good night! :)