PDA

View Full Version : Hee hee. It's official! Haircare is my new hobby. :D

CurlyCap
December 21st, 2011, 06:47 PM
I got home from work today and for once didn't have much to do. So, without thinking about it, I went to the kitchen, whipped up some homemade conditioner. That's sitting on the stove waiting to cool.

Then I found some gross avocados in the fridge, so I decide to smash them and mix them with some of my Indian herbs. I'm currently trying to decide if coconut milk or Castor would be the better liquid to dilute this with. XD

I LOVE THIS.

It's fun, usually cheap, and makes me feel pretty. All win.

Anybody else feel like this? What have you found yourself doing haircare wise just because "Hey, this might be fun!"

julliams
December 21st, 2011, 06:52 PM
Watch out for those avocados. I did the same thing and my hair went like straw! If it does the same to you, follow up with a few intensive moisture treatments. I don't know what it was with those avocados but my hair (and my daughter's) really hated it.

Amber_Maiden
December 21st, 2011, 06:53 PM
My hair loves avocados and avocado oil! Have fun!!

CurlyCap
December 21st, 2011, 07:10 PM
Watch out for those avocados. I did the same thing and my hair went like straw! If it does the same to you, follow up with a few intensive moisture treatments. I don't know what it was with those avocados but my hair (and my daughter's) really hated it.

My hair loves avocados and avocado oil, but hates protein treatments. THEY make my hair strawlike. I never understood that. Maybe the protein in proteins shampoos and conditioners is just way too concentrated and hydrolyzed.

My goop is going to be a conditioning wash (maybe, we'll see), so I should be safe. I'll report back! Thanks for the warning, though!

julliams
December 21st, 2011, 07:12 PM
Oh good - well if you know your hair likes it then it will be a winner. Yes, it is nice to be able to find things around the home that work well for your hair.

Mina17
December 22nd, 2011, 03:41 AM
Avocados make my hair really soft. I think it's fun too to experiment with different things I have around the house.

MonaLisa
December 22nd, 2011, 03:51 AM
Haha i think of hair care as a hobby as well!
Everyone has some hobby so why not :D

CurlyCap
December 23rd, 2011, 01:41 AM
Hee hee! Experiment a success!

Turns out my hair will play nicely with cassia if I mash up the powder with avocado until it's a nice paste. Deep conditioning with cassia benefits.

Too make the paste more spreadable, I added castor oil (which my hair loves) and some Garnier Triple Nutrition (about 2tbs).

So now I know how to do it. Sweet.

AnqeIicDemise
December 23rd, 2011, 01:49 AM
I'm the same way. I find myself looking out for oils or sometimes wonder into the kitchen, look at my pantry and go 'hmm...."

My mom thinks its weird and mind you, she's only judged 'the weirdness' on my fb statuses. Today she saw my hair for the first time in over a year and she's impressed.

Callque
December 23rd, 2011, 01:56 AM
I consider growing out my hair/taking care of my hair to be my hobby too. :D I love reaching mini milestones and feeling the satisfaction from it. It also is helping me practice patience, which I really think is improving. :)

If I'm bored, I'm on TLHC. I'm always trying to learn new things about hair and trying out new products and different ways of styling my hair naturally. :)

I love it here!

dmarie16
December 23rd, 2011, 02:34 AM
Oh yes!!!! Definitely my hobby!!! I am on here reading LHC forums, ANY hair forum, looking at Etsy, Ebay and every natural food store online I can find searching out new natural hair treatments. I want to try EVERYTHING I read about!!! :D

Libbylou
December 23rd, 2011, 02:47 AM
I also consider my hair a hobby. I like mixing food stuff for my hair. My adult son says I'm "bat **** crazy." DH gets his hair colored at the salon and is envious of my henna/buxus hair, and wonders why I go to all the trouble for about 10 silver hair.
They just don't get it.

CurlyCap
January 3rd, 2012, 11:00 PM
Today I experimented with how tacky my deep treatment needs to be to have cling wrap stick to it (thereby saving my house from drippage destruction).

What has everyone else found themselves doing the name of HAIR?

MagicalMystery
January 4th, 2012, 12:13 AM
I got home from work today and for once didn't have much to do. So, without thinking about it, I went to the kitchen, whipped up some homemade conditioner. That's sitting on the stove waiting to cool.

Then I found some gross avocados in the fridge, so I decide to smash them and mix them with some of my Indian herbs. I'm currently trying to decide if coconut milk or Castor would be the better liquid to dilute this with. XD

I LOVE THIS.

It's fun, usually cheap, and makes me feel pretty. All win.

Anybody else feel like this? What have you found yourself doing haircare wise just because "Hey, this might be fun!"

I had a blast coming up with natural lightening methods, and my 3 year old son has had many an occasion to laugh at how ridiculous I looked with strange globs of mud on my head. :D The funniest moment ever was during a hendigo treatment when he asked me, "Mum, why do you have poo poo on your head? That's silly!" Made me laugh. Mind you... I'd much rather use natural products that won't be toxic for him to inhale, so 100% natural haircare has become a huge hobby of mine as well. :)

MagicalMystery
January 4th, 2012, 12:16 AM
I also consider my hair a hobby. I like mixing food stuff for my hair. My adult son says I'm "bat **** crazy." DH gets his hair colored at the salon and is envious of my henna/buxus hair, and wonders why I go to all the trouble for about 10 silver hair.
They just don't get it.

I hear ya. Quite a few think I'm an odd witch doctor when it comes to my hair, throwing the oddest combinations of food and oils in it to constantly improve it. But then they go and spend $250 at the salon... :eek: