PDA

View Full Version : What made my hair the softest out of everything

LocustSpawning
December 21st, 2011, 05:35 PM
Ok... I've done expensive salon conditioners, protein treatments, oils, SMT's, you name it!I read here about people using hair misters (a mix of ingredients in a spritz bottle to put on hair)... they all looked pretty fancy though. I made a really simple one from what I had, using tap water.

I put about a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil and filled the rest with tap water (it's only a little spray bottle), shook it to mix it, sprayed some on my hair before bed... and...

WOW!!!!!!! I now use this every single day. It's *amazing*, it's made my hair the softest out of everything I've ever done to it, and the answer was water from my tap and olive oil from my kitchen!! So I encourage everyone who hasn't tried hair misters to try them! I think I'll add something else just for the scent but so far this has worked amazingly. Just for anyone who hasn't tried hair misters or thinks they can't do it cause they don't have the fancy ingredients - just give tap water and olive oil a go, it's worked amazingly for me.

Also, mine hasn't gone rancid despite using tap water cause it's such a little spray bottle (like 10cm tall) so I use it up pretty fast. This is a good way to avoid it :)

I've done olive oil treatments in the past but it always seemed too heavy. When it's mixed with water it spreads perfectly, and in tiny amounts!

Sorry if this seems really over the top and enthusiastic.. I'm just so happy I've found something that works amazingly for so cheap, haha.

Darkessa
December 21st, 2011, 05:36 PM
Oooh. I wanna try this...
I loooove super soft hair and Im constantly trying anything to achieve it.
THANK YOU! :D

Kira94
December 21st, 2011, 05:37 PM
Nice! I'll have to try this! :)

LocustSpawning
December 21st, 2011, 05:39 PM
Wooooo ^_^

Also, the oil and the water separate and it doesn't look too nice but ignore that, just shake it up really well each time before you use it and it's fine. Don't be alarmed when it looks weird when it settles :p

Zesty
December 21st, 2011, 05:41 PM
Thanks for the tip! I love being able to try something new without having to buy something. :)

Trish in SC
December 21st, 2011, 05:51 PM
Sounds good. I bought a little bottle, but wasn't sure yet what to mix up. Problem for me with EVOO is that it has such a "salad dressing" smell, but maybe if I put in some lavendar oil it would be okay. Thanks for sharing with us.....especially with us newbies, 'cause we've got much to learn.

BeautifulSoup
December 21st, 2011, 06:24 PM
Thanks for posting, I might try this. Olive oil alone weighs my hair down and makes it look lank and greasy. Combining it with water is a better idea.

LoveBunny
December 21st, 2011, 06:43 PM
I'll have to try it! We have super hard water, so I'll try it with some bottled water. I've tried straight EVOO treatments before with no amazing result. Maybe misting it on will be the key. Thanks!

Loviatar
December 21st, 2011, 07:11 PM
I used to do this when I hennaed, but I used bottled water because London water is super hard. I'm tempted to try again, but I might use avocado oil instead of olive. I feel avocado works better for me.

ohhiitssteph
December 21st, 2011, 09:46 PM
This is a good idea! I may try it with some coconut oil, either instead or in addition. I can't stand the smell of EVOO haha! :p

almond
December 21st, 2011, 10:27 PM
This is great! I'm doing the same thing since about a week. Olive oil was still heavy for my hair this way, but I switched to coconut oil, and it's perfect! It makes even my dry ends so soft and moisturized! :cheese:
Sometimes I need to warm it up a bit though before use, because the oil and the water separates, and the coconut oil sits on the side of the bottle. But the softness is incredible!

Mischamiu
December 22nd, 2011, 06:40 AM
You have very healty looking hair :)

Angel_099
December 22nd, 2011, 07:52 AM
I will have to try this! So far I have only used olive oil once a couple hours before I washed...but then I put henna in my hair before it was completely dry so I am not sure if I like it or not!

The thing that made my hair the softest so far was Chagrin Valley's carrot shampoo bar (can't remember what else it had in it). The softness was just incredible! Haven't purchased another since though and it was just a sample. I wonder if I would still have the same results. Other than that, I have gotten a lot of softness from using shea butter as a pre-wash treatment. My hair is usually fairly soft with whatever I use but those two things stand out as things that have worked extra well with my hair.

(The cheese is for my daughter...she is laughing so hard at it that I had to include a few :)):cheese::cheese::cheese::cheese::cheese:

white.chocolate
December 22nd, 2011, 08:06 AM
Thanks for sharing! I'd really like to try this ou, but there's one question: can I use it while I have my usual leave-in conditioner (jojoba oil)?

Oksana
December 22nd, 2011, 08:15 AM
I will have to try this. I like oiling my hair but i always seem to over oil :o This may be my solution.

Rigani
December 22nd, 2011, 08:15 AM
This is such a great idea!

Pure Oil has always been to heavy for my fine hair, except maybe for Coconut Oil. I've used the same mixture (olive oil and tap water) some time ago, but stopped it (with no apparent reason but laziness) ... but now I think I'll give it a try once again.

One question though: do you really use it to spray your hair before you go to bed? Cause in my experience, when I go to bed with moist hair, I wake up the next day with a puffy, nasty mess on top of my head. And I even braid my hair for sleeping.

Now I need a small spray bottle ... I'm off shopping ;D

With best regards,
Rigani

hyettf16
December 22nd, 2011, 08:32 AM
I've done that, only I guess I used too much oil because it would always make my hair too oily. I'll try it with less oil next time.

shackleford
December 22nd, 2011, 02:44 PM
Thanks for telling us! I'm always trying to find something new to make my hair soft... I hate the feel of castor oil when its on my hair, but when I wash it out, it's like soft magic! I love oils :)