PDA

View Full Version : Getting hair to NOT part...

Faepirate
July 12th, 2008, 10:10 AM
I've had a slightly off-centre parting ever since I can remember and although I'm not sure the no parting look would work for me, I am really curious to see how I look. But, here's the thing... I have no idea how to stop my hair from parting. It just seems to want to part. Whatever I do it just ends up parted again and looking the same as ever! I don't know if some hair just naturally grows with a parting, or if it's just because I've had it that way for sooooo many years but... is there anyone who has successfully banished their parting? And if so, HOW did you manage this? :confused:

Golden21
July 12th, 2008, 10:13 AM
I would also like to hear an answer to this question. My hair automatically parts, I haven't been able to find a solution either!

Gumball
July 12th, 2008, 10:20 AM
I think hair can get trained into a part after a while. Sometimes it really is a matter of fighting it and retraining it in that case. When I started growing my hair out I ended up with a center part that would never go away. For a while I started tying it back trying to eliminate the part. It took a while to for the most part get it to go away. A little deviation used to put it right back but I think it's all good now. I've heard that training a part is a little easier with damp hair just because of the slightly less resistance to going off its trained path. I'm sure someone may pop on by with better insight than this though. :)

Periwinkle
July 12th, 2008, 11:30 AM
*raises hand*

Until joining LHC, I wore a ponytail every single day with no part. Up until about a year ago, though, I wore a pony with a centre part.

When I first started wearing my hair with no part, I could feel the difference because it was lying the 'wrong' way (until then, I'd never worn it with no part in any style at all). After a while it just became normal.

I have no idea when it happened, but now when I let my hair down, it just falls according to gravity and not according to the part. If I comb it from about jaw-length down, though, just loosely, then my old part comes back out. I guess my hair's still wired for a part but it's basically gone.

You could experiment with tying it back, or try alice bands if they don't drive you nuts (personally, I can't stand them) or try separating a section of your hair at the front off and pinning it back with clips, which gives the impression of no part.

eadwine
July 12th, 2008, 11:41 AM
I had a part all my life, and a number of months ago started wearing my buns with no part. Works peachy and I have had no trouble at all adjusting :)

sexyjacksparrow
July 12th, 2008, 11:45 AM
My hair seems to always fall in the same slightly off-centre parting too.

O/T Periwinkle, I'm in Hampshire too! (Er, assuming you mean UK anyway - just realised there might be a Hampshire in the US too...or is that New Hampshire...)

Kerry xx

Angellen
July 12th, 2008, 12:09 PM
I'll be following this with interest. I've had a center part forever (with the exception of my infancy where my hair stood straight up until it was about 5 or 6 inches long), and I've never been able to not do it. The fact that I think my hairline is a bit unsightly doesn't really help, but I'd like to learn.

Periwinkle
July 12th, 2008, 12:26 PM
My hair seems to always fall in the same slightly off-centre parting too.

O/T Periwinkle, I'm in Hampshire too! (Er, assuming you mean UK anyway - just realised there might be a Hampshire in the US too...or is that New Hampshire...)

Kerry xx

There's probably 10 Hampshires in the US, but I'm one of the British variety. Hooray!:cheese:

MusingFrog
July 12th, 2008, 12:38 PM
The easiest thing to do is to stop wearing the part. When you wash your hair, comb it straight back while letting it dry. When you put it in a bun continue that and don't let the part pop out. Depending on your hair type the hair will probably resist, though it is easier if you start on wet hair. Initially the hair may be a bit bumpy on top and refuse to sit nicely. If you continue without the part that bumpy area should go down and the hair will learn to lay flat.

I make a point of combing my hair straight back when it is wet after washing. If I do that, once it has dried, I have no problems with a part for the rest of the week.

Faepirate
July 12th, 2008, 12:40 PM
I had a part all my life, and a number of months ago started wearing my buns with no part. Works peachy and I have had no trouble at all adjusting

Interesting :)
I wore a bun with no part most of my way through school, but it didn't work so well for me - by the end of each day I had my parting peeking through no matter how tightly I pulled the hair back! So it looked a bit awful.

Faepirate
July 12th, 2008, 12:46 PM
The easiest thing to do is to stop wearing the part. When you wash your hair, comb it straight back while letting it dry. When you put it in a bun continue that and don't let the part pop out. Depending on your hair type the hair will probably resist, though it is easier if you start on wet hair. Initially the hair may be a bit bumpy on top and refuse to sit nicely. If you continue without the part that bumpy area should go down and the hair will learn to lay flat.

I make a point of combing my hair straight back when it is wet after washing. If I do that, once it has dried, I have no problems with a part for the rest of the week.

Hmm, ok. I will persevere with this and see how it goes. :)
(Chances are, it'll look awful on me anyway, and I'll go right back to the natural part!)

avraea
July 12th, 2008, 12:58 PM
I was fairly successful training my hair to stop parting in the same off-center part that it had been practically all my life. My hair's too heavy or just refuses to stay un-parted, so even if I brush it all the way back, it'll always fall back into a part. So what I did was just part my hair in a different place every time after washing while it's still wet. This also completely evened out my hairline, which I was really glad about because my hairline where I had the old part used to be a tad more sparse and a bit higher than everywhere else.

danacc
July 12th, 2008, 01:36 PM
A couple of ideas:
- Comb the hair straight back when wet. You may also need to secure it this way at the back or crown.
- When dry, smooth it back into a half-up high on the head. You can then continue the up-do with the rest of the length if you want all of your hair up. I found that it was easier to train out hair cleavage if I put the 'do right on the other side of the cleavage, so I'm thinking the same might be true for the part.
- Put your up-do on the side of the head so that the hair on top is actually combed diagonally across the trained/natural part.
- Make a part in a different place to untrain the hair at the currently trained part.

Faepirate
July 12th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions!

Let the hair training commence.. after my next hairwash :D

HeatherAngela
July 12th, 2008, 06:14 PM
I wish I could help, but I'm fortunate that my natural part doesn't peak out when it's pulled straight back. OTOH as soon as the hair comes down the part will immediately return in exactly the same off center spot. It feels weird if I try to do a center part or part it anywhere else, but parted naturally and straight back both feel normal.

flapjack
July 12th, 2008, 07:22 PM
my natural part is on the left side of my head and when I was a little kid I was lame and embarrassed by it because it was "different" (not really). Within a couple months, I had it trained to part down the center and I did it by parting it down the middle with a comb every time I took it down, got in the shower, got out of the shower, etc. Eventually, it just began to fall that way for good.

Now I do both a center part or the side part just as easily and I can pull my hair back without a part and there aren't any issues. Getting the left side part back was easy and took no time at all. I do think that hair has a natural part or lack thereof and you can train the hair to stop doing it but it's always still actually there.

Tangles
July 14th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Wear your hair up every day for a week with no parting. Makes it go straight back.

Ohio Sky
July 14th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Depends on how determined your part is. Mine is slightly off center because I have a calick right in my widow's peak. I fought it for years and it never did any good. I gave up, and just let it part there now.

bex487
July 14th, 2008, 01:49 PM
I would comb it straight back when wet and use a bobby pin to hold hair in place until it is dry. If you need to, add some hair gel to make it stay put. After a week or so, it will probably do it on its own.

savi
July 14th, 2008, 02:06 PM
I'm always changing my part, sometimes let it fall into the natural place but not usually.

I like to part it before the shower, wet it down slightly and not mess with it much during the washing. It usually holds pretty well and dries into the side I've placed it on.
Like many have said, you can change it after washing too, but I don't see the need to comb all of the hair to do that. (The amount of tangles that would cause on me. shudder:) Just the take section between the place where you want the parting to fall and where it naturally falls, slide it to the left or right depending where you want the parting to go, get the tangles out of the section and gently comb it to the side/back when you've got the part done. That works for me, if anyone understands what I'm saying.. :silly:

banglaminerva
July 14th, 2008, 10:27 PM
Thank you all for your tips! I just started trying to erase my part and wasn't very hopeful until I read this thread.