PDA

View Full Version : Very fine/thin 1b/2a - contemplating layers

Lilli
December 21st, 2011, 04:04 PM
So I am bored with my hair. Thought about dye, but don't want the upkeep and my natural color is nice.

Now another idea - some time ago a layer was accidentally formed in my hair due to it getting trapped under something. I have noticed recently that I like how that layer looks, as it brings out the long s-wave in my hair and makes it look thicker and livelier.

The layer is on my left side (your right) and hits about collarbone length (my hair is otherwise all one length, APL+.) Shall I get light layering throughout?

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3627&pictureid=121683

Zesty
December 21st, 2011, 04:23 PM
I think maybe light layering mostly around your face would give you the effect you're looking for. I'm not an expert on layers (UltraBella is), but I'd be worried about too much layering all over making your ends seem thin (though in your picture your hair doesn't look that thin anyway). I also find that I get more damage on my layers than anywhere else, so I personally prefer to keep them to a minimum.

You and your hair are already very pretty, and I think matching what "layering" you have in the front already would be very flattering.

Lilli
December 21st, 2011, 04:43 PM
I think maybe light layering mostly around your face would give you the effect you're looking for. I'm not an expert on layers (UltraBella is), but I'd be worried about too much layering all over making your ends seem thin (though in your picture your hair doesn't look that thin anyway). I also find that I get more damage on my layers than anywhere else, so I personally prefer to keep them to a minimum.

You and your hair are already very pretty, and I think matching what "layering" you have in the front already would be very flattering.

Thank you so much for the compliment. I will keep it in mind. My hair only dislikes being razored, but as long as they use a scissors, it is not prone to splitting.

Gingerbear
December 21st, 2011, 08:50 PM
I have fine hair too and have always regretted the few times I got layers because it made it look thinner. I think layers around the face would look nice or maybe just tell them you want long layers.

Nedertane
December 21st, 2011, 11:09 PM
Well, I've had layers for a few years now, and I really like them. I don't think any damage is particularly localized to any of the layers. Regardless, I like mine because they do give a little more volume, still look natural because they're long, and they prevent the sort of "block edge" that happens at the edge of my hair, and seems to happen to other people with straight hair.

Lisa R
December 21st, 2011, 11:10 PM
Hi Lilli! I have fine hair as well and I have found that some light face framing layers go nicely but to avoid any other layers other than around the face. You might find that just doing face framing layers will be enough. If you still aren't happy with the layers around your face and want more then it's up to you to decide!

Good luck!

alyanna
December 22nd, 2011, 02:58 AM
Hey Lilli,
I would proceed with caution when it comes to layers. If you're planning on going longer, I would say DON'T. If you want to keep your hair shorter, or APL at the most, then go for it.

A couple of shorter pieces around the face would be the maximum layering I'd go for if I were going longer.

hototogisu
December 22nd, 2011, 03:16 AM
Oh, I hear you on feeling bored with your hair!! We have basically the same hair, but my wave pattern is a bit more pronounced (I have what hairdressers euphemistically call 'textured' hair). I think the collarbone length layer near your face is really pretty!

If you're feeling bored, maybe you could try switching up your styling? I've taken to rolling BIG sections of only barely damp hair in foam rollers, just up to my ears, and sleeping on them. In the morning it looks like curling iron waves and my hair feels really lovely, as though it's been damp bunned. I'll also sometimes do Cup of Jo's three twisted buns (http://joannagoddard.blogspot.com/2011/03/three-twisted-buns.html) during the day when I have an event where I want my hair out, and I have gorgeous bunwaves by the end of the day. I actually have my hair in three twisted buns now!

I also really like hot rollers on special occasions. I know heat is generally verboden in TLHC, but the heat in rollers is much gentler than a curling iron. I always look like I've had a full-on round brush blowout after using rollers.

We spend so much time learning how to care for our hair in an authentic way, and figuring out how to keep it healthy, but I think it's equally important to have fun with our hair!

Katze
December 22nd, 2011, 03:30 AM
Well, I'd say no, except maybe face-framing ones.

My hair is similar to yours except thicker and wavier, and beyond shoulder/APL layers start making the ends look damaged even if they are not. My hair is almost weightless at the ends, so if those ends are thin, they look straggly and damaged even if they are healthy. I'm also older, so have to be more conscious of looking more pulled-together.

And your hair is straighter than mine so I think it looks good being so smooth and sleek!

For me, longer hair needs to have thicker ends, but maybe that is because I am very self-conscious about my hair's appearance!

MonaLisa
December 22nd, 2011, 03:53 AM
Oh layers are lovely! Get long face framing layers and see how you feel! I think you won't be disappointed! And then you can always add more or shorten them..
Layers are so playful and yumm :) Couldn't live without them!
But careful if you go to a salon...make sure they don't get it wrong!

Lilli
December 22nd, 2011, 06:16 AM
I have noticed that LHC tends to be anti-layer for these reasons:

1. The stylist will mess it up.

But mine is very conservative and careful and never disobeys me. ;)

2. They look damaged.

But my hair never looks damaged as long as scissors are used.

3. They make updos/braids very difficult.

But I almost never wear an updo/braid unless my hair is very dirty (like once every two months.)

Are there other reasons not to get layers that might pertain to my situation?

-Only getting light, long layers (collarbone down to APL, so only the bottom 4 inches or so.)

-Clearly shorter bits bring out my slight wave.

-I only wear it down and want it to look less childish/bookish and bring out my waviness.

Kamama
December 22nd, 2011, 09:49 AM
You must do what is right for you, of course, but one of the posters advised to proceed with caution, and that is always wise. :)

Lilli, you have lovely hair. Your details state that your fine in texture and have a lower volume of hair. As someone who periodically contemplates this issue, and who also has fine hair, I suggest that you do stick to very long layers if you decide to go this route.

In my experience, it might be wise to discuss explicitly with your stylist where the ends of the layers would end (leaning towards collarbone from your posts). Asking for "long layers" has meant very different things to different stylists and taught me to be more cautious! When I go that route, I ask for layers ending just a little above my hemline.

Layers do provide more movement for hair. If you almost exclusively wear your hair down, this might be more beneficial for you. I have been seriously contemplating them too for a few days too. My ends are kind of just "clumping" together when I wear it down. With layers, the ends curl and bounce more. I usually have the layers put in when I am wearing my hair down more, which is, for me in cooler weather--keeps me warm!

After a little consideration, I decided that I do not want to sacrifice the fullness at my hemline. I am pleased with how my hemline is looking at this time, which is important for fine-haired folk.

Wishing you well in contemplation!

Amazinggrace
December 22nd, 2011, 09:53 AM
I think layers from collarbone down to APL would look beautiful for you. :)

Tizzles
December 22nd, 2011, 09:53 AM
I also have fine thin hair and what I have found for me is that a blunt cut just looks best. It makes my hair seem more dense, when it isn't which is always a plus! You have a very nice face shape and beautiful hair, it doesn't really look as fine or thin as you describe. If you are looking for a change, like others have said, maybe a couple layers toward the face but if you want to grow it longer than APL then I'd say no way.

Layers are for thinning out the hair really and to add movement to heavy hair. Textbook speaking, blunt cuts are always best for fine/thin hair, however it is your head :P You are the one who will have to fix your hair every day and look at it every day so do what makes you happy. I think your hair is beautiful as is.

Trish in SC
December 22nd, 2011, 10:06 AM
Hey there ~ Just wanted to say that your updos (in your album, with the Ficcare) are gorgeous! Someday soon I want to get a Ficcare. Or, maybe Santa will deliver! :)

Regarding layers, I like them at the end of the hemline & around the face. Let us know what you decide!

Lilli
December 22nd, 2011, 01:47 PM
You must do what is right for you, of course, but one of the posters advised to proceed with caution, and that is always wise. :)

Lilli, you have lovely hair. Your details state that your fine in texture and have a lower volume of hair. As someone who periodically contemplates this issue, and who also has fine hair, I suggest that you do stick to very long layers if you decide to go this route.

In my experience, it might be wise to discuss explicitly with your stylist where the ends of the layers would end (leaning towards collarbone from your posts). Asking for "long layers" has meant very different things to different stylists and taught me to be more cautious! When I go that route, I ask for layers ending just a little above my hemline.

Layers do provide more movement for hair. If you almost exclusively wear your hair down, this might be more beneficial for you. I have been seriously contemplating them too for a few days too. My ends are kind of just "clumping" together when I wear it down. With layers, the ends curl and bounce more. I usually have the layers put in when I am wearing my hair down more, which is, for me in cooler weather--keeps me warm!

After a little consideration, I decided that I do not want to sacrifice the fullness at my hemline. I am pleased with how my hemline is looking at this time, which is important for fine-haired folk.

Wishing you well in contemplation!

I did get a bit snippy, huh? I guess I just wanted to hear nothing but yes! I did talk to my stylist and he said he thought it would work great either just in the front or all over. He is very conservative so I do trust him.

I think layers from collarbone down to APL would look beautiful for you. :)

Thank you!

I also have fine thin hair and what I have found for me is that a blunt cut just looks best. It makes my hair seem more dense, when it isn't which is always a plus! You have a very nice face shape and beautiful hair, it doesn't really look as fine or thin as you describe. If you are looking for a change, like others have said, maybe a couple layers toward the face but if you want to grow it longer than APL then I'd say no way.

Layers are for thinning out the hair really and to add movement to heavy hair. Textbook speaking, blunt cuts are always best for fine/thin hair, however it is your head :P You are the one who will have to fix your hair every day and look at it every day so do what makes you happy. I think your hair is beautiful as is.

Thank you for the compliment! My goal is BSL and I am about 3-4 inches away, so I'm not that worried about it not growing well.

Hey there ~ Just wanted to say that your updos (in your album, with the Ficcare) are gorgeous! Someday soon I want to get a Ficcare. Or, maybe Santa will deliver! :)

Regarding layers, I like them at the end of the hemline & around the face. Let us know what you decide!

Thank you! I only have the one Ficcare but it was worth every penny.

I am going to sit on it for a week or so. As the weather dries out, it will hang straighter, and so I might wait for the layers until spring and humidity comes again and it is wavier. It has been warm and wet here for several days and that may be why it is waving more.