PDA

View Full Version : Stress+hair =?

Lady Verity
July 12th, 2008, 09:11 AM
I'm going through a lot of stress right now.

- I was evicted this week. Our landlords want to move into the house, so there's nothing my boyfriend and I can do. We love this place. We've not been here for a year, and we love it dearly. Now we have two months to leave. I'm devastated.

- I'm taking my ex-landlady to court. My last house was an absolute dive and the woman was a crook. This is all very scary.

- I'm finishing my MA. I need to have written my dissertation by October, and what with the sudden move, it's going to be tight. I'm a perfectionist.

In short: ARG. :(

It's just about the last thing on my mind, but here's a question - what does stress do to hair? When I'm stressed, my body reacts bigtime. I miss periods, I get excema, I can't eat and I have horrific nightmares. To be honest, I'm expecting my hair to shed massively. It'll just add insult to injury.

Is there anything I can do to avoid this? Am I completely unfounded for worrying about this?

Everything is just so dreadful right now. :wail:

VanillaTresses
July 12th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Lady Verity,

First of all, I am really sorry that you are going through such a stressful time! I hope that things get better soon.

About stress, I have noticed that when I am very stressed out my growth rate seems to decline and sometimes I end up shedding a bit more than I would usually. I think that the effects will probably vary from person to person though. I have also seen (in relatives) that times of extreme physical stress (for example major surgery) has resulted in lots of grey hair. E (DBF of 6 yrs) is going through A LOT of stress of school right now, and even though he is only 25, the greys are multiplying like clover in grass.

As to how to avoid the "stress," well, more likely than not the stressors aren't going to stop coming. At least for me how it works is that just when I manage to overcome one situation another manages to take its place. The one thing that you have control over is how you deal with the stress. Try to keep your sanity amongst all of this insanity. Do small things for yourself and try to keep those exterior stressors divided into a separate part of your mind-- and only worry about them when you have to. I don't know if this is making sense in words, but it is what I try to do. I try to deal with the stressors when they have to be dealt with but leave them off of my mind the rest of the time. Otherwise they take over and make life miserable and leave me positively sick.

It is an ongoing battle-- try to hang in there! As a last note, I know firsthand that stress can kill one's appetite- but not eating will only exacerbate the stress problem (as well as the shedding!). I try to force myself to eat, and if I am too stressed out to deal with it or am lacking time will at least try to get either a banana or a liquid supplement like Ensure down.

danacc
July 12th, 2008, 12:32 PM
I am so sorry that all of these stressors are hitting at once! I know you will get through it just fine.

In the meantime, yes, you can expect a slowdown in hair growth, shedding, or both. These are all temporary, though. Your hair will bounce back when the stress eases, and the things that are stressing you right now all have clear end dates.

With all of the craziness, make it a point to take time for yourself. Exercise will help a lot. Also, stretching and meditating. So, taking up or continuing with yoga, tai chi, meditation or meditative prayer, and similar activities can give your mind and body a break from the stressors. Constant stress is worse on you than high stress broken up with oases of calm. It takes discipline of mind and body; it is amazing what we can do with focus.

jojo
July 12th, 2008, 12:56 PM
I'm going through a lot of stress right now.

- I was evicted this week. Our landlords want to move into the house, so there's nothing my boyfriend and I can do. We love this place. We've not been here for a year, and we love it dearly. Now we have two months to leave. I'm devastated.

- I'm taking my ex-landlady to court. My last house was an absolute dive and the woman was a crook. This is all very scary.

- I'm finishing my MA. I need to have written my dissertation by October, and what with the sudden move, it's going to be tight. I'm a perfectionist.

In short: ARG. :(

It's just about the last thing on my mind, but here's a question - what does stress do to hair? When I'm stressed, my body reacts bigtime. I miss periods, I get excema, I can't eat and I have horrific nightmares. To be honest, I'm expecting my hair to shed massively. It'll just add insult to injury.

Is there anything I can do to avoid this? Am I completely unfounded for worrying about this?

Everything is just so dreadful right now. :wail:

DITO! I am experiencing the exact same thing, dissertations have the habit of stressing me out so much. I have been living of basically 3-4 sleep a night, eating rubbish, not exersizing, smoking more, stressing over the housework, kids, etc, etc and I have like 2 weeks to get mine finished AAAAHHHHH!

But, what I have started doing break your dissertation into small size chunks and just concentrate on one area a day (I have just finished my statistical analysis, surprised i am not bald!!) work for one hour and take an hour out, I come on here it helps!

By allowing yourself to be 'you' and relax, the rest will fall into place. I feel much better in myself by having me time and it is showing in my hair too, which was also shedding and thinning. I also make more of an effort to eat more healthily and get more sleep.

I hope it helps that you are not on your own in this and your studies will soon be a thing of the past, just try and keep your spirits up, eat healthily and make time for yourself, it does work.

I just got to write another 4000 words and I am done!

Good luck xxx

Lady Verity
July 13th, 2008, 08:58 AM
Thank you, everyone. I'm going to try and keep taking vitamins and do my best to stay sane throughout all of this. I keep finding myself getting emotional and repeating impotent phrases to myself like I just want my home back. I need to come to terms with the fact that this home is temporary, and was never mine to begin with.

My court case is on Tuesday. My old landlords were such unpleasant people. I'm just scared they're going to make a scene in the court or when we attempt to go home. I think it's going to be one of those Valium days.

DITO! I am experiencing the exact same thing, dissertations have the habit of stressing me out so much. I have been living of basically 3-4 sleep a night, eating rubbish, not exersizing, smoking more, stressing over the housework, kids, etc, etc and I have like 2 weeks to get mine finished AAAAHHHHH!

Yes, that sounds familiar. I've already written one dissertation for my first degree, but this one is so much bigger and more intimidating. The last thing I needed was a move smack bang in the middle of it. :mad:

getoffmyskittle
July 13th, 2008, 09:03 AM
Well, first of all, I'm sorry that this is happening to you. :flowers: I'm sure everything will come out okay though!

Next, I know this doesn't get rid of stressors, but B vitamins are supposed to be the "anti-stress" vitamins. They are also good for hair. :grin: Having enough of them in your system can help keep you from getting unduly stressed out. You should try picking up a B-complex; it may help you at least manage the physical symptoms of stress.

Finally, doing something totally unrelated to all this for at least an hour a day, like exercise or yoga, will probably help as well. Those endorphins have to be good for something, right?

Good luck!

Lady Verity
July 13th, 2008, 09:34 AM
I had no idea B vitamins were good for stress! I do take a B complex, but it might be a low-ish dose, so I'll have to check. Thank you for the tip. :)

My boyfriend has Wii Fit, so I might try some of the yoga poses on there.

serenitygal
July 13th, 2008, 11:04 AM
I'd suggest to try taking care of YOU during this stressful period--at least, as much as possible. Give yourself a nice scalp massage, take twenty minutes and go for a walk. And while writing the dissertation, drink lots of water. Alternate with the caffeinated drinks if necessary, but drink lots of water. That'll make you feel a little better, and may keep the stres-breakouts down. While writing, let your hair soak in a deep treatment or some oil.
HTH! :flowers:

Mandie
July 13th, 2008, 11:42 AM
Stress is a good way to start shedding (just like cats/dogs do) so be sure you follow the advice here and pamper yourself a little to calm down! Your situation sucks, but I hope it gets better! <3

Lady Verity
July 13th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Thank you both. :)

While writing, let your hair soak in a deep treatment or some oil.

That's actually something that would never have occurred to me. I have awful writing habits. I spend all morning either asleep or faffing around on the Internet, then all evening and most of the night working flat out. It might work better if I can tell myself I'm doing something pleasant and relaxing at the same time as ploughing through dense literary theory. Thanks for the suggestion!