PDA

View Full Version : To cut or not?

PrairieRose
December 21st, 2011, 08:37 AM
Hey everyone! Just looking to get everyone's input and opinions:)
Myself and my sister both love lhc!(My sister is not a member yet) Of course now we have the goal of eventually growing to waist length. Unfortunately we each have previously processed hair:( Now that we are taking better care of our hair, we can see improvement especially in the new growth! Now we both have been debating whether it is better to cut and start fresh or progressively trim off the damaged hair. I personally like it long because I can put it up. Is it realistic to think I can grow to waist and deal with the damage should I just get it over with and cut?
We now not longer use heat
We use coconut oil
No hairspray
Better combs and brushes
No poo!
Regular S & D
We would appreciate any input:confused:

Kelikea
December 21st, 2011, 08:42 AM
If you have visible split ends throughout, you can S&D. If your ends as a whole are dry, brittle, split, or velcro-y, then trim. Take off a little at a time so you can still put it up, and then as it grows you can re-evaluate.

PrairieRose
December 21st, 2011, 08:52 AM
Thanks Kelikea:) I do S & D but sometimes I feel like it's a losing battle:( I did trim about a month and half ago, still have splits though.

Madora
December 21st, 2011, 09:19 AM
It is a lot easier to just get rid of the damage with a trim, than having to keep track of it via S and D. After your hair has been trimmed, then you can keep tabs on damage via S and D.

xoerincolleen
December 21st, 2011, 09:36 AM
I've been growing with small trims every 6 weeks (or longer, if it can wait). I take off about 1/4-1/2 inch with each trim. Personally, I think that's better than chopping it off, because you don't have to deal with short hair and still get to see growth and improvement. However, it really depends on how damaged your hair is and how much of it you're willing to deal with.

Ravenwind
December 21st, 2011, 09:42 AM
I would say if you don't have a lot of damage, just gradually trim your hair. But if there is a lot of damage and S&D wouldn't get rid of it, I would cut off a couple inches at a time. That's what I did and my hair feels a lot better and is pretty much damage free :)

PrairieRose
December 21st, 2011, 09:42 AM
Thanks Madora , xoerincolleen and Ravenwind:) Not sure about my sister yet, but I am leaning toward a trim not more then an inch( maybe within the month). Hopefully then I will not lose to much length. I think I many have to stay around APL untill some of the damage is gone.
By the way, my sister is probably reading this thread, tell her she need to join:eyebrows:

jeanniet
December 21st, 2011, 10:01 AM
I had a few inches of damage when I started. I did some dusting and a lot of S & D and that held the damage at bay pretty well (enough for me to get to waist). I still have some splits, but if I keep up with S & D they're not too bad. I hate losing length so I haven't done a real trim in over two years. When I hit hip I'll probably maintain at that length for about six months (if I can stand it) and get my hemline in really good shape. I think you can keep your length if you're willing to do some tiny trims and a lot of S & D.

Egana
December 21st, 2011, 10:15 AM
I was babying my damage, hoping to grow it out gradually and trim off gradually. But I decided that it was more work than I wanted to do. I like to enjoy and ignore my hair. So, I trimmed about 3 inches of "cranky crunchiness" off my layers, and although I did lose length (about 6 inches of visual length, because the shorter my hair is, the more it curls up, and the less visible length I have cascading down my back.) But, I can run my finger through it and it is nice and sweet and happy - no popping and crackling - no crankiness - and I enjoy it much more now, even though it is much shorter visually.

Avital88
December 21st, 2011, 10:20 AM
sister you need to join!!!!

Haha... i personally prefer microtrims too! you can start with half an inch and cut a third inch every month or 6 weeks.. this will improve the quality of your hair but doesnt make you loose so much..
i, myself i also have damaged ends(flatiron,bleach)and still have long hair...
Yes the ends are thinner but it will eventually get better with microtrimming, no need to get a big cut..

Narya
December 21st, 2011, 10:29 AM
I agree with the trimming. The first year around here I did not trim (well, I think I did once) and my hair grew like crazy, but the ends still felt in bad shape as before. This second year I've been trimming every two months or so, cutting from half an inch to an inch and a half depending on the state of my ends, and it has made a tremendous difference!

I'd say that, with fine hair, if you cut all the damage at once it will be nicer for a while, but then the split ends and crunchy ends will come back (in my experience, they are an inevitability of fine hair), and you will feel the need to trim again. If you just go trimming, your hair may not feel perfect soon, but you'll keep more length than the other way around.

Amber_Maiden
December 21st, 2011, 11:02 AM
I have damage on my hair from dying with henna, and growing out virgin hair stresses me out as well. I just want my hair to be healthy all over. I plan on growing my hair to TBL (should be at my goal length by the end of next year), and I plan to maintain there- that way my damage eventually gets chopped off. Maybe you and your sister could do this as well? In the meantime, just keep trying to take care of it. Who knows, it might improve in health! My hair definitely has and I don't have as much damage as I used to! Good luck! :)

PrairieRose
December 21st, 2011, 11:16 AM
Thanks Jeanniet, Avital88 and Narya...I am definitely leaning towards trimming slowly:)
Thanks Egana, I totally understand how you feel. I think thats how my sister feels too. She may be the one to do a bigger trim.
Thanks Amber Maiden...I have heard people say henna damaged their hair. I thought henna was good for your hair. I do love the color, but I was wondering if it ultimately was doing more damage.

SheaLynne
December 21st, 2011, 11:45 AM
It would be interesting to hear each of your experiences if you choose opposite paths to deal with the damage. You might each be equally happy and end up at the same place? But your sister would have to join to post her updates and re-growth progress!! (hint, hint)

I chose the microtrimming route, and I'm very happy with it. Since I am going to lengths beyond tb, I am still dealing with the damage, but I started with 20+ inches of hair that I had been blowdrying straight and flatironing several times a week w/o protectant (hadn't heard of it back then!) and dyed with semi-perm every 6 weeks for 6 months before deciding that was *not* going to work for me long-term! After 2.5 years here and monthly microtrims (1/4-inch) for 2 years, I am at 43 inches total length and have about 6 inches of visible damage left to trim off. I have progress photos in my album.

It has been worth it to me because I could still put my hair up and practice updos, which was the main reason I came to LHC. If I wanted it down mostly, I might have chosen the other route of cutting away damage more quickly.

HTH and good luck!

hanne jensen
December 21st, 2011, 12:05 PM
I have the same problem as the OP with my ends. As fine as my hair is it gets splits very easily. I micro trim every 6 weeks. I still get growth and the damage is gradually getting cut out. If I chop and start all over, I'll just get the same problems again.

sarahbrownie
December 21st, 2011, 12:10 PM
I was babying my damage, hoping to grow it out gradually and trim off gradually. But I decided that it was more work than I wanted to do. I like to enjoy and ignore my hair. So, I trimmed about 3 inches of "cranky crunchiness" off my layers, and although I did lose length (about 6 inches of visual length, because the shorter my hair is, the more it curls up, and the less visible length I have cascading down my back.) But, I can run my finger through it and it is nice and sweet and happy - no popping and crackling - no crankiness - and I enjoy it much more now, even though it is much shorter visually.

I second this. It's so relieving not having to baby it or feel self conscious because the ends look just unmanageable and fried.

I was a big supporter of no trims, and I think it's great, but when you're trying to get rid of damaged ends it's best to just get rid of it. Maybe not by a dramatic chop but getting rid of a few inches, let it grow back, and do it again until it's all gone. I usually cut 1-2 inches, and wait 2-3 months for it to grow out, than cut again. It's annoying, but I always feel so happy when I run my fingers through my hair and the ends feel soft, plus it thickens up the hemline. And in the end I don't miss that 1-2 inches of length all that much.

PrairieRose
December 21st, 2011, 12:23 PM
It would be interesting to hear each of your experiences if you choose opposite paths to deal with the damage. You might each be equally happy and end up at the same place? But your sister would have to join to post her updates and re-growth progress!! (hint, hint)

I chose the microtrimming route, and I'm very happy with it. Since I am going to lengths beyond tb, I am still dealing with the damage, but I started with 20+ inches of hair that I had been blowdrying straight and flatironing several times a week w/o protectant (hadn't heard of it back then!) and dyed with semi-perm every 6 weeks for 6 months before deciding that was *not* going to work for me long-term! After 2.5 years here and monthly microtrims (1/4-inch) for 2 years, I am at 43 inches total length and have about 6 inches of visible damage left to trim off. I have progress photos in my album.

It has been worth it to me because I could still put my hair up and practice updos, which was the main reason I came to LHC. If I wanted it down mostly, I might have chosen the other route of cutting away damage more quickly.

HTH and good luck!
I checked out your progress album. Wow:D It is encouraging to see that you have been able to progress in length even with previous damage! I think it would be fun to see if my sister cuts and if I trim how it would be for each of us:) Join, join, join:cheese:

princesitamaria
December 21st, 2011, 12:25 PM
Thanks Jeanniet, Avital88 and Narya...I am definitely leaning towards trimming slowly:)
Thanks Egana, I totally understand how you feel. I think thats how my sister feels too. She may be the one to do a bigger trim.
Thanks Amber Maiden...I have heard people say henna damaged their hair. I thought henna was good for your hair. I do love the color, but I was wondering if it ultimately was doing more damage.
You know I think thats what people think when they dont do their research about it- if you are coating your hair over an over with henna yea its gonna cause damage- if you use too much acid yes its gonna cause damage- and if you dont condition your hair as a treatment your hair is not going to rebound from it- henna itself is good for your hair plus you gotta make sure you are getting henna that is pure BAQ and does not have metallics and salts added to it which will really screw up your hair- if you put that crap on color treated hair you gotta shave off your hair cause it will turn your hair green!
I henna over my bleached and died hair and my hair is fine- I also started doing weekly conditioning treatments, and realized 1/4 trims once a month or so will be good to make my hair more healthy as it gets longer and get rid of the bleached ends, after you have been micro trimming for a lil bit you can spread them out more and more too. I dont even waste time S&Ding anymore because it is just better for me to do a microtrim cause once you bleach your hair is really not gonna act the same no matter what you do. Also if you look over at articles you can find an article that will explain why microtrimming is best for damaged hair, and it will give links to improvement and how to trim your hair- good luck :)

Jemoiselle
December 21st, 2011, 12:42 PM
Add me to the group that says trim as you go. I joined LHC with BSL hair that was processed and heat styled daily. I did what you say you are doing, cessation of heat, processing, caring for it properly etc, and grew to TB in no time with very healthy hair. I went in for a trim monthly at a salon where I always had the same stylist who was aware of what I was doing and trustworthy to only take off what we agreed upon each time, plus she did a twist trim (see my video) every month as well. I had great results with that method. Lastly, if you are doing S&D please make sure you are using high quality hair cutting shears and not just regular scissors! Get the sharpened once in a while too! Ask your stylist for recommendations. Good luck! Sounds like you are doing all the right things and regardless of which route you choose, will be on your way to healthy long hair in no time!

spidermom
December 21st, 2011, 12:49 PM
It really depends on the individual. When I'm bothered by damage, I can't stand it. My hair sticks together like Velcro, and I feel like I'm fighting with it instead of enjoying it. So I prefer to just cut off the damage no matter how much of it there is. Last time I did this, I gave up 7 inches, going from classic length to hip length.

If getting rid of all the damage would take you back to pixie or something like that, you're probably better off cutting half or all your growth every month or two.

PrairieRose
December 21st, 2011, 01:10 PM
Thanks to everyone for their input:)
princesitamaria...thanks for the info on henna:)
Jemoiselle...I watched your video. I definitely may give that a try:D

jacqueline101
December 21st, 2011, 01:18 PM
I'd micro trim and oil the ends of your hair and use good scissors when doing a search and destroy of split ends.

SheaLynne
December 21st, 2011, 02:25 PM
I checked out your progress album. Wow:D It is encouraging to see that you have been able to progress in length even with previous damage! I think it would be fun to see if my sister cuts and if I trim how it would be for each of us:) Join, join, join:cheese:
Thanks! Yes, join, join, join :cheese:! :D

Zesty
December 21st, 2011, 05:13 PM
I second the trims for maintenance, supplemented with S&D. It just seems way less traumatic than cutting it all off.

PrairieRose
December 22nd, 2011, 06:55 AM
Thanks everyone! I appreciate everyone's input. I got a lot of good advice and tips.:)
I decided to do small trims to slowly get rid of damage. Last night I did a micro trim and a twist trim. I really did forget how much a trim helps! My sister thanks you for the advice too. She very well may do a bigger trim, she said she is going to wait a few weeks and see how it is. She will probably join soon. Yay!
Lhc is the best:cheer:

WinterTree
December 28th, 2011, 08:09 PM
Hi All :) PrairieRose's sister here! I finally joined, yay!!! :cheese: Thank you everyone for all of your tips and experiences. I am usually the one to make the big chop, but i think this time i will try to micro trim and keep up with my S&D. It's been awhile since I have had my hair this length and so I think I want to keep it!! So we shall see how long i can hold out before i cave in and cut it. Thanks Again :D

PrairieRose
December 29th, 2011, 10:56 AM
Yay! My sister, WinterTree, finally joined!!!:joy: