PDA

View Full Version : Crystal Gayle

sibilum
July 12th, 2008, 08:45 AM
Alright, I think I acidentally found a long haired idol... I was looking for long hair videos on You Tube when I came across Crystal Gayle. I didn't know about her, I don't live in America.

Anyway, next thing I was reading her website and everything about her. She is so lovely! Her only problem is she is a friend of the Bush family, but let's not get into that... heeheee

So, here is the cutest video EVER, she is in a duet with Willie Nelson (I did know him for a long time though, I love some of his songs and also his overall character): (ENJOY!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHIreemgLTQ

nastasska
July 12th, 2008, 08:50 AM
I love Crystal Gayles hair and I'm Australian I think I discovered her first on the Muppet Show:cheese:

Eireann
July 12th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Thanks! Two lovely longhairs singing together! Whenever I hear Willie Nelson sing I get chills. There's just something about his voice.

angelthadiva
July 12th, 2008, 09:01 AM
She was one of my first hair idols--Evah! :)

HeavenlyTresses
July 12th, 2008, 10:23 AM
When I was little I SO wanted to grow up and be Crystal Gayle! It's so cool to watch her videos and see her growth progress from about classic to floor.

Darkhorse1
July 12th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Ahhh, my first hair idol! :)

jojo
July 12th, 2008, 01:08 PM
I remember Crystal Gayle her hair was my first ever inspiration in the 70's she sang 'Dont it make my brown eyes blue' i think!

sexyjacksparrow
July 12th, 2008, 01:21 PM
I think Crystal Gayle was the first example of longer-than-waist hair I remember seeing. I was fascinated by how her hair could be that long!

Kerry xx

Siava
July 12th, 2008, 02:55 PM
She was my first real life human hair idol (watched lots of cartoons as a kid). My mom adored her music and her hair so I too became enthralled with her locks. She's so beautiful.

Beatnik Guy
July 12th, 2008, 03:11 PM
You just discovered Crystal? :grin:

Actually, it's probably a defining moment for longhairs when people make the 'Crystal Gayle comment' (women only presumably).

AerisDawn
July 12th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Crystal Gayle is Loretta Lynne's sister. I don't think her hair has ever been cut.

Alethia
July 12th, 2008, 04:02 PM
According to Wikipedia (which as we all know is ALWAYS 100% accurate ;)) Crystal Gayle grew her hair long because she always had it cut short as a child and her mother wouldn't let her grow it. Like some of LHC members she has nightmares about someone cutting it. She treats it almost as if it were another child.

Riot Crrl
July 12th, 2008, 04:11 PM
According to Wikipedia (which as we all know is ALWAYS 100% accurate ;)) Crystal Gayle grew her hair long because she always had it cut short as a child and her mother wouldn't let her grow it. Like some of LHC members she has nightmares about someone cutting it. She treats it almost as if it were another child.

It also seems to be saying (totally accurate true facts) that she purposefully maintains at 3" from floor.

Siava
July 12th, 2008, 04:17 PM
I've always wondered though...I know a lot of her outfits have sequins and rhinestones. How in the heck does she keep her hair from snagging on all that glittery goodness? I wonder if the underlying hair looks as nice as the canopy.

sibilum
July 12th, 2008, 08:58 PM
Alethia, that is right. Yesterday I watched many interviews with her... there are plenty on You Tube.

She always said she had cut her hair many times, and yes, she keeps it around 3 inches from the floor.

If any of you are interested, just do a search on You Tube and you will find the interviews. There is a very long one that is divided in 4 or 5 parts, I think, where she talks a lot about her hair and many other subjects.

sibilum
July 12th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Funny thing is, all the sudden I think hair below hips is beautiful, I mean, I have the desire to let my own hair grow very long, more than TB.

It is not that I didn't find it beautiful before, I just couldn't resist thinking about Cousin Itt. But looking at Crystal swinging that mane just made me forget about the urge to giggle with the cousin Itt thought.

mamachanse
July 12th, 2008, 09:31 PM
I have loved her and her hair since I was a little girl. I just looked at a bunch of pictures of her and got pretty excited because I think my hair will look like hers if I jeep growing it (which I intend to do)!

I just wonder how she takes care of it. There are hardly any pictures of her with updos. I wonder if she always wears it up out of the public eye?

sibilum
July 12th, 2008, 09:49 PM
I just wonder how she takes care of it. There are hardly any pictures of her with updos. I wonder if she always wears it up out of the public eye?

She didn't say anything about that on those interviews... just that sometimes she braids it for sleeping, sometimes not, she just puts all over her pillow.

She also said she washes is everyday when she is touring, and every other day when she is not... I must admit I didn't believe that... that's a lot of washing for that amount of hair. Maybe she was just afraid of what others that are not used to very long hair care would think or say about her.

Anyway, I was hoping she would say something about oiling, but again, nothing. :(

LilyMunster
July 12th, 2008, 09:58 PM
Her website shows this updo

http://www.crystalgayle.com/photo_detail.php?id=40&book=ON%20THE%20ROAD

danacc
July 13th, 2008, 12:22 PM
She also said she washes is everyday when she is touring, and every other day when she is not... I must admit I didn't believe that... that's a lot of washing for that amount of hair. Maybe she was just afraid of what others that are not used to very long hair care would think or say about her.

Or maybe she just does scalp washes for some of them. Offering that kind of detail would be unlikely in an interview.

Darkhorse1
July 13th, 2008, 01:30 PM
I'm sure she has a mild shampoo--I bet when she's on the road, her hair gets filled with sweat and smoke, and that would make you itchy.

She's SOooo tiny!!! How tall is she? I think it's nice her daughter supports her mom's long hair :)

Robbi Dehlinger
July 13th, 2008, 01:33 PM
She was a short haired tomboy when she was a girl! Amazing how the years can change a woman???

She has fast growth from what I hear? says she cuts in to knee length once per year and it is back to her ankles again within 12 months? (Ah, to have such challenges??)

Curlsgirl
July 13th, 2008, 07:23 PM
She didn't say anything about that on those interviews... just that sometimes she braids it for sleeping, sometimes not, she just puts all over her pillow.

Anyway, I was hoping she would say something about oiling, but again, nothing. :(

I bet she does need to wash it every other day. When I saw her in concert I could tell she has fine hair that separates REALLY quickly if you know what I mean. It looks like it would look sort of flat if you didn't wash it often. I used to have a friend who had hair like that. It was very straight and sort of thin and when she washed it it made it look thicker. I noticed even then that she would brush it and come out and sing for 5 minutes and it would be very stringy again. That is how fine-hairs do. Still beautiful just that hair type.

I love her hair as well! It was a huge treat to see her with Kenny Rogers in concert :love:

LindsayNichole
July 13th, 2008, 08:25 PM
Oh! When I was little, I wanted so much to grow up and have hair like Crystal Gayle's! I saw her on tv once and was just enamored with her hair.

Lady Godiva
July 14th, 2008, 07:44 AM
You just discovered Crystal? :grin:

Actually, it's probably a defining moment for longhairs when people make the 'Crystal Gayle comment' (women only presumably).And then some, for a person who is several inches taller than Crystal. :waving: She's been on my favorites list for a long time.

I bet she does need to wash it every other day. When I saw her in concert I could tell she has fine hair that separates REALLY quickly if you know what I mean. It looks like it would look sort of flat if you didn't wash it often. I used to have a friend who had hair like that. It was very straight and sort of thin and when she washed it it made it look thicker. I noticed even then that she would brush it and come out and sing for 5 minutes and it would be very stringy again. That is how fine-hairs do. Still beautiful just that hair type.
Although I have never seen Crystal's hair up close to type it, it appears that hers is very much like mine (type 1a). I'm an oily-scalped, finey, too, and no, it's not necessary to wash my hair every day or every-other day. Separation is not a sign of bad health. It's just separation. Also, flat hair is not a problem, either. It's what type 1a hair usually looks like. Not everyone wants body or lift at the roots, although we're constantly told that we should do everything possible to affect those things. I used to perm my hair to cause the effect. No thanks. I'll just be very content with my stringy, flat, sometimes-separate-y hair.

sibilum
July 14th, 2008, 08:58 AM
Are there more "public figures" or singers, actresses, etc, etc, with really long hair, I mean, past classic?

Curlsgirl
July 14th, 2008, 09:24 AM
And then some, for a person who is several inches taller than Crystal. :waving: She's been on my favorites list for a long time.

Although I have never seen Crystal's hair up close to type it, it appears that hers is very much like mine (type 1a). I'm an oily-scalped, finey, too, and no, it's not necessary to wash my hair every day or every-other day. Separation is not a sign of bad health. It's just separation. Also, flat hair is not a problem, either. It's what type 1a hair usually looks like. Not everyone wants body or lift at the roots, although we're constantly told that we should do everything possible to affect those things. I used to perm my hair to cause the effect. No thanks. I'll just be very content with my stringy, flat, sometimes-separate-y hair.

Oh I didn't mean it was in bad HEALTH at all! In fact it looked very healthy. I just meant that it separated like that type of hair does and from my experience with my close friend it helped hers a bit to wash every day or more often. I LOVE type 1a hair!!!!! Just so you know!!!

Dark Rosaleen
July 14th, 2008, 09:29 AM
Her long hair used to facinate me as a kid. And hey, it still does.

Robbi Dehlinger
July 14th, 2008, 09:53 AM
Are there more "public figures" or singers, actresses, etc, etc, with really long hair, I mean, past classic?

Hi!

Jane Seymour used to have classic length, but cut it back to just below BSL. She is STILL gorgeous:)

Dark40
July 2nd, 2010, 03:00 PM
I've discovered Crystal Gayle when I was little about30 years ago, and I've always wantd to grow my hair as long has hers.

ArienEllariel
July 2nd, 2010, 03:33 PM
I'm sure she has a mild shampoo--I bet when she's on the road, her hair gets filled with sweat and smoke, and that would make you itchy.

She's SOooo tiny!!! How tall is she? I think it's nice her daughter supports her mom's long hair :)

I've been wondering that myself. I'm on the short side for sure and it would be interesting to know the difference in height, just for reference. :)

Edit: Aha! I found out.. She says she's 5'2" in this interview:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAQX5mQGQ2A&feature=related

so she's a little over an inch taller than me. :) I don't know why I feel so happy finding out we're nearly the same height. ^^

PineappleJello
July 2nd, 2010, 06:43 PM
Wow, new hair idol for sure. I looked at the muppets show with her and got butterflies :)

ETA also found a new artist that I really like. I've always enjoyed her sister's music but I much prefer the sound of her voice.

MissManda
July 2nd, 2010, 06:49 PM
I love Crystal Gayle's hair. It feels so nice to have a hair idol who is famous AND has a similar hair type that is obviously healthy. And now that I know she's only a bit taller than me, I feel even more inspired (I keep getting the "You're short, cut your long hair" thing, ugh).

I don't think I believe her when she says how often she washes her hair. ;)

Merewen
July 2nd, 2010, 07:19 PM
Boo hiss. The video is gone. :(

Robbi Dehlinger
July 6th, 2010, 01:30 PM
Bummer:(

I have always loved her hair?

AZDesertRose
July 6th, 2010, 02:58 PM
I'm American, and I've known of her since I was a little kid (30 years ago). I always loved her hair. So beautiful. She was my very first hair idol.

jackiesjottings
July 7th, 2010, 07:45 AM
Another fan of Crystal's hair here too :)

Nae
July 7th, 2010, 08:05 AM
I looked at those interviews that ArienEllariel posted and they made me smile a little bit. As soon as the questions about her hair start you can almost see it in her eyes, "Here we go again!" I bet she hears those same questions so often she gets pretty sick of them lol.

teela1978
July 7th, 2010, 08:26 AM
I think I discovered her first on the Muppet Show:cheese:
I think I did too :)

Carolyn
July 7th, 2010, 10:54 AM
I remember seeing her on The Johnny Carson Show when she was just starting out. Loretta Lynn was already a big star and she was known as her little sister. Her hair wasn't nearly as long as it is now. It was maybe tailbone length. I remember hoping she would keep it long. I guess she did, did she? :D

Loreley
July 7th, 2010, 11:03 AM
Video is no longer available. :( But she has gorgeous hair indeed. :D

Allen
July 7th, 2010, 11:10 AM
[QUOTE=sibilum;186969]She is so lovely! Her only problem is she is a friend of the Bush family, but let's not get into that... heeheee]

Hmmm, then why did you mention it?

jacqueline101
December 23rd, 2012, 04:18 PM
She's beautiful and stunning. I like her song Making up for Lost Time.