PDA

View Full Version : Hair frustration question

AnitaThorn
December 21st, 2011, 12:22 AM
Hey everyone! I wanted to ask some advice.

In the middle of January 2011, I got my hair cut into a mohawk. The top part wasn't terribly short, it went past my shoulders to it could hang down, and one of the shaved sides could be seen. I also got little "sideburn" things that went down to my jawline. I got it touched up around February or March, and haven't gotten it touched up since then. I've been letting it grow.

Now, the top part has gotten a lot longer, and I'm pretty happy with it (though I wish it was longer, but I think most people can relate to that, haha). But the sides are still growing out from being shaved. They're kind of uneven as well, some parts being longer than others, like the former "sideburn" areas. So some parts are past my chin, some are just past my ear, and some are about halfway to shoulder length. So here is my question: Should I continue to let it all grow out now, or should I trim the top part to make it look more even? It won't look completely even unless I cut it super short, but I don't plan on doing that. I guess I'm wondering what people's opinions would be to make it the least annoying, make it as painless as possible.

Thanks, and I hope to hear from you!

Sorry for the wall of text. XD

Edit: Also, I can't really put my hair in updos because of the short sides, which is part of the frustration. But oh well... :/

Zesty
December 21st, 2011, 02:05 AM
I think that's really a personal preference thing. While I don't have anything specifically to say about growing out a mohawk, people here who have grown out pixies tend to advocate just gritting your teeth and getting through the awkward stages and onto longer lengths as soon as possible. From what you're describing, it sounds like it won't make that much of a difference unless you cut it all short, so I would advise just leaving it alone. Once you can put it all up it'll be much easier to deal with.

Good luck!

AnitaThorn
December 21st, 2011, 02:30 AM
I think that's really a personal preference thing. While I don't have anything specifically to say about growing out a mohawk, people here who have grown out pixies tend to advocate just gritting your teeth and getting through the awkward stages and onto longer lengths as soon as possible. From what you're describing, it sounds like it won't make that much of a difference unless you cut it all short, so I would advise just leaving it alone. Once you can put it all up it'll be much easier to deal with.

Good luck!

Yeah, I do know it's about personal preference and ultimately it's up to me, but I just wanted to hear opinions and suggestions about what might be the most painless. :] Thank's a lot for your comment!

dmarie16
December 21st, 2011, 02:37 AM
If your happy with the length on top, I would definitely not cut it short!!! If it don't cover the sides as well as you like during the grow out, try some clip on human hair extensions. You can buy them relatively cheap on ebay. I would do a monthly trim of the top to keep it at the current length while the rest grows out. You could always invest in some cute hats!!;)

AnitaThorn
December 21st, 2011, 02:54 AM
If your happy with the length on top, I would definitely not cut it short!!! If it don't cover the sides as well as you like during the grow out, try some clip on human hair extensions. You can buy them relatively cheap on ebay. I would do a monthly trim of the top to keep it at the current length while the rest grows out. You could always invest in some cute hats!!;)

True! You know, honestly, when my hair is down, you can't tell the sides are shorter at all. But, like I said, I can't do updos, which is quite annoying. U_U

Thank you so much for your suggestions! I'll definitely have to try some nice hats. :D

Katze
December 21st, 2011, 03:45 AM
You can braid the top, and personally I think a braided 'hawk looks cool. Or lots of little buns.

When I had a mohawk (briefly) I then shaved my head and grew it out from there.

Amber_Maiden
December 21st, 2011, 05:47 AM
I's grow it out if I were you. Just leave it alone and forget about it.

moon2dove
December 21st, 2011, 09:33 AM
I's grow it out if I were you. Just leave it alone and forget about it.

This^^^

Good luck with whatever you decide and happy growing:D

kaned_ferret
December 21st, 2011, 01:52 PM
as for the sideburny bits, I'm just getting beyond them now, and I have found that as soon you're able to stick it behind your ears, you can all but forget about it :)