PDA

View Full Version : random kinda gross question...

amanda_the_tall
December 20th, 2011, 09:18 PM
hey everyone,
i just noticed today i have a couple of scalp zits (eeeeek). i hate it when they pop up, as you're combing your hair, you feel that jolt of pain. i was wondering if anyone else has experienced these, or had any info on what causes them, or how to avoid them?! agh. :mad:

Zesty
December 20th, 2011, 11:15 PM
I get a few around my hairline on a regular basis, usually not elsewhere on my scalp, and I don't get many zits on my face either. I just wait them out, so I'm sorry I can't be more helpful.

RapunzelKat
December 20th, 2011, 11:25 PM
This happens to me too every now and then... It's a pain! :(

Are you stretching washes? If so, I would suggest washing more frequently. I noticed I have far fewer when I wash 2-3 time a week (I had been washing once a week).

I also recommend a good clarifying shampoo, which helps clear out buildup of oil and product that can clog pores. I have very hard water where I live, which means I get buildup pretty fast. I'm experimenting right now with Neutrogena No Residue shampoo every few washes, but I haven't been using it long enough to say for sure if it's making a difference. It does make my hair and scalp look and feel super-clean though.

Elia
December 20th, 2011, 11:41 PM
Oh man those are the worst. Honestly the only thing that works for my pimples is benzoyl peroxide which is not good for hair and may bleach it...if they don't go away, you could talk to your doctor about cortisone shots which are use to treat acne on the spot :)

amantha
December 20th, 2011, 11:48 PM
I currently have a bald spot about the size of a dime/nickel from a cystic zit on my scalp that I had to get my bf to pop because it was so painful. So I feel your pain.

I get them so rarely though that I don't have much advice because I don't think mine have any particular triggers. Like others have suggested, I would also recommend seeing a dermatologist.

dmarie16
December 21st, 2011, 02:48 AM
Get a shampoo with tea tree oil. It is good for many scalp ailments. Honey has natural antiseptic properties also, so it might be worth a try along with ACV rinses.

Mina17
December 21st, 2011, 03:30 AM
I get these when I stretch washes too long or too many CO washes. Basically when my scalp is not getting cleaned enough.

Amber_Maiden
December 21st, 2011, 05:48 AM
I get them in my hairline, and you can't do anything but wait them out. Used to get them on my scalp when I used SLS S & C...

blondie9912
December 21st, 2011, 05:53 AM
I used to get them ocassionally, but using Monistat for a little while completely fixed any scalp problems I had. Also, brown sugar scalp scrubs are great, though I wouldn't recommend that WHILE you have the scalp pimples, as it might be a bit painful.

Lightningfury
December 21st, 2011, 08:32 AM
I got them when I first started stretching washes. I took them as a sign that it was time to wash and popped them in the shower while I was shampooing to clean them out. A few days later of not washing and they were back.

But here's the thing as time passed I could go longer and longer without washing. Until now I wash my hair once a week with no issues. I guess my scalp just got used to the extra oil.

Also I started doing almost daily scalp massages with my finger tips. I noticed that as I did this I would occiasionally dislodge sebum build up around the shaft base. The build up would then slide down and out of my hair preventing a zit from forming.

Scalp massages are great for stimulating growth, and easing an slightly itchy scalp too.

Sundial
December 21st, 2011, 08:46 AM
I used to get them when I was using non-natural hair products. I think there was something in those products that caused my skin to react that way. I stopped having that problem after I switched to natural/organic products

jojo
December 21st, 2011, 12:38 PM
Ive just this minute combed my hair and ouch they hurt! you have my sympathies, it could be worse it could be on the end of our noses!

Anje
December 21st, 2011, 12:53 PM
I've had a few lately. I think stress or maybe diet might be the major factor in mine, given that I've also been getting them on my face.

Riyoka
December 21st, 2011, 02:47 PM
Like others said, I usually get these when I don't wash often enough or possibly it could happen because of irritation? like if you use a product that your scalp doesn't agree with.

spike316
December 21st, 2011, 04:19 PM
What kind of oils are you using in your haircare routine? Coconut oil makes my face break out so I avoid getting it on my scalp.

moxamoll
December 21st, 2011, 04:32 PM
Are you sure it's just a zit? I had a pilar cyst for years, that I eventually had to have removed 'cause it got ridiculously big. It went from being a wee bump to a bump that was sore and big enough to be a noticeable bulging bald spot. Of course, no one told me!! :steam
Sorry if that's TMI!:tmi:

Otherwise, maybe dab a wee bit of tea tree oil or witch hazel on it?

MissCoco
December 21st, 2011, 04:38 PM
I mostly get them in the back of my head, and I think the cause is my heavy oiling. :D But I'm not about to give *that* up, and they go away by themselves anyway, so I just avoid brushing/combing them and it's okay. Just make sure to check on it every once in awhile to make sure it is getting any bigger! :eek:

Miss Catrina
December 21st, 2011, 06:41 PM
I get these a lot , regardless of whether I'm using natural shampoos or whatnot. To be perfectly honest I find them fun to pop - but it becomes a vicious cycle of scalp picking after that...

I know it must be a pretty common problem, I was surprised to spot them on client's scalps at my school.

Kelikea
December 21st, 2011, 06:43 PM
I found one today, actually. Just above the right temple. I usually dab them with acv on a Q-tip if they are bothersome.

amanda_the_tall
February 18th, 2012, 12:47 PM
i shampoo my hair daily, so i don't think that it's from not washing enough, i'm thinking the shampoo itself is the problem. seeing as i'm allergic to almost everything (pets, trees, grass, trees, mold, most cosmetic products, the list goes on..) after i finish the bottle i'm gonna try using a more natural based shampoo to see if that could help. the tea tree oil does sound interesting, i might get some of that if i can find it.

heidi w.
February 18th, 2012, 01:06 PM
I have Seborrheic Dermatitus which is a case of over-production of sebum. It's somewhat related to dandruff and essentially a more vicious case of dandruff. So it's zits times 100. As an outbreak always begins with a red bump. And it goes on from there.

My friend is a man, having a man's shorter hair, and he is a powder coater and somewhat regularly has scalp skin zits. They're very painful. He gets them in response to the incredibly dirty environment that powder coating creates. It's a dirty business. That's the nature of the business. He's constantly cleaning up in his shop, but there's just no way to prevent all the dust and dirt piling up and swirling around.

heidi w.

Seeshami
February 18th, 2012, 01:09 PM
Yes I get them. I am an oily person and the really weird thing is that monistat helps.:confused:

Now face cream and hair hate each other. Or at least Naughty mess hates him some face cream like no one's business. He hates pretty much.....everything.:D Anyways moving on if you can get ALL your hair parted off the pimple you can put face cream on it to help but try to keep it off the hair.

Sillage
February 18th, 2012, 01:09 PM
I get mine from stress. Oddly things that cause breakouts on my face like coconut oil don't seem to give me scalp issues. However, like the rest of the skin on my body my scalp is clog prone so I shampoo it often.

turtlelover
February 18th, 2012, 01:35 PM
I get them from going too long between washes, or from doing CO for too long w/ no shampoo at all.

GaJunebug
February 18th, 2012, 01:50 PM
Y'all do you think adding an apple cider rinse would help keep them at bay? Seems like the acidity might just do the trick.