PDA

View Full Version : Bumpy Hair Strands

BeautifulSoup
December 20th, 2011, 09:14 PM
What I mean by this is that when I pinch a single strand of hair and run my fingers down it, I can feel grooves and bumps; it's not at all smooth. It's the same with the new baby hair.

Anyone else have this problem?

Teresa9000
December 20th, 2011, 10:02 PM
I have some hairs like that. The majority of my hair isn't like that at all, but there are enough for me to notice. The hairs I have like that are also wavy, but not with a defined wave pattern, so they stand out more when they are short, baby hairs. I think they are from coarser hair strands than my overall coarseness, or from wavier strands than my overall texture; maybe both. I know that mine are natural and not from any heat damage or mechanical damage, but I suppose a similar effect could occur from heat or mechanical damage.

Achtland
December 20th, 2011, 10:34 PM
I feel the same thing too. Always has felt that way... I always think it feels like difference in thickness that changes along the shaft.

Diet influence perhaps?

Zesty
December 20th, 2011, 11:04 PM
Some of my hairs are this way. Those tend to stick out from the rest of my hair and make it look less smooth, which annoys me, but I don't think it's an issue with hair health, just texture/thickness of strands.

ravenreed
December 20th, 2011, 11:13 PM
Some of my really coarse hairs are like this. They look kind of weird and twisty compared to the smoothness of my other hairs. Since they do this all the way to the root, I am fairly certain that it is normal and not damage.

amantha
December 20th, 2011, 11:22 PM
I have hairs like this too. It looks like the strand kept changing it's mind about what thickness it wanted to be as it was growing out. They're a little harder to tame, but it's whatever. I've noticed my new hairs coming in are like that too. I'm not too worried about it though.

owlathena
December 21st, 2011, 12:47 AM
I have these too. They really bug me

Mythica
December 21st, 2011, 12:58 AM
I have those on the thicker hairs too. My hair texture changed from a couple years ago, so I'm assuming that there may be some kind of hormonal whatsit going on. As I take plenty of vitamins, I'm monitoring it over coming months to see if it smooths out any.

julliams
December 21st, 2011, 03:44 AM
Lol - it's not a problem - it's the texture of your hair. As more of these grow in you can embrace some fabulous waves. Try scrunching your hair when wet and see if you can't entice some of it already.

BeautifulSoup
December 21st, 2011, 05:02 AM
Some of my hairs are this way. Those tend to stick out from the rest of my hair and make it look less smooth, which annoys me, but I don't think it's an issue with hair health, just texture/thickness of strands.

Thing is ALL of my hairs are this way, I've tested a lot. It may be a dietary thing; I've been a vegetarian for a couple of years now.

MissAlida
December 21st, 2011, 05:39 AM
You might want to check out this thread:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=1901028#post1901028

Amber_Maiden
December 21st, 2011, 05:40 AM
Have the same thing too= wavy hair

BeautifulSoup
December 21st, 2011, 06:02 AM
You might want to check out this thread:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=1901028#post1901028
Thanks for that!

beccababesx
December 21st, 2011, 07:59 AM
I have loads of these! I like them :)

Anje
December 21st, 2011, 08:18 AM
I've got those, and seem to be getting more. Are they standard for wavy hair? The frequency of the bumps is really short, on the order of 1/8 inch.

BeautifulSoup
December 21st, 2011, 06:14 PM
I don't think I really explained properly.. I don't have wavy hair, I have straight hair. The grooves and bumps on the hair shaft are teeny tiny and can only be felt when you firmly pinch a single hair between your fingers and run your fingers down the strand.

ravenreed
December 21st, 2011, 07:19 PM
It is possible that most of your hairs are pin straight but you have a few wavies and those are them. I have wavy hair and suspect that mine would be curlies because my bumps are pretty extreme. :shrug:

ETA: Most of my hairs are medium thickness but those I am describing are extremely coarse, almost like sewing thread. So I can actually see the kinks and bumps. As mentioned above, if they didn't go all the way up the hair to the root, I would suspect some damage. Instead, I just think it is normal for some of my hairs to be like that.

I don't think I really explained properly.. I don't have wavy hair, I have straight hair. The grooves and bumps on the hair shaft are teeny tiny and can only be felt when you firmly pinch a single hair between your fingers and run your fingers down the strand.

ingvild
December 22nd, 2011, 01:46 AM
I have plenty. Like, it feels like the majority of my canopy is like this... I have straight hair too. My bumpy hairs are straight, but bumpy.

julliams
December 22nd, 2011, 02:07 AM
As a child I had stick straight hair too and many of the hairs on my hair are still reminiscent of this. When I hit puberty my hair started being a little "frizzy" and I thought it just wasn't behaving. Turns out I was turning wavy and I didn't know it. Perhaps you have gone through a hormonal change of some sort. I'd put money on you becoming wavier in the next 5 years.

Oksana
December 22nd, 2011, 06:52 AM
Most of my hair is fine and soft but of have a patch of hair on the back of my head that feels bumpy and thicker than the rest of my hair. I have always had this and it really annoys me :p