PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding no trims

Bri925
December 20th, 2011, 05:11 PM
I have a question and I am new to the site and tips. I was wondering how can you go a whole year without trimming? I get split ends all the time and I have to trim them. I have just started oiling and vitamins thanks to this site, but is there even more I am missing? I know that split ends can cause breakage if not taken care of and if I could learn even more then count me in!
P.s I have been on this site everyday and I just wanted to say how amazing this site is!

Carissamarie08
December 20th, 2011, 05:14 PM
S&D
literally just search your hair and cut the ends with splits

Carissamarie08
December 20th, 2011, 05:14 PM
S&D -search and destroy

Bri925
December 20th, 2011, 05:18 PM
I see thanks

xoxophelia
December 20th, 2011, 05:25 PM
It might depend on hair type also. S&D can get rid of splits but some people don't have hair that splits easily. If I wear my hair down every single day for a year with no trims I would mostly only have splits in my hair in the front (it is finer). But, another thing that can help other than natural hair structure and what you mentioned is updos that protect the ends.

There is no shame in giving it a try and later on deciding to trim either :)

cheetahfast
December 20th, 2011, 05:33 PM
Did you used to heat style you hair a lot? (Or still do?)

My last hair cut was in January, so not yet a year. However, I'm still split free. I think wearing my hair up daily and having cut off all of the damaged hair when I started helped a lot. I also oil my ends.

When I was straightening and blowdrying I would get many splits.

twopoints
December 20th, 2011, 06:03 PM
You should only not trim if your hair is naturally resilient. There are some people who do fairly damaging things to their hair but have no split ends. On the other hand, there are some people who take great care of their hair but still get split ends because their hair is fragile. If you have split ends, cut them off immediately. The best you can do to minimize the number of trims is to minimize damage. But there isn't much to do to change your hair's natural resiliency.

ladylowtide
December 20th, 2011, 06:09 PM
Beats me. I didn't even know what a split end looked like until I saw one on my friend's head. I've gone more than 5 months with no trim and not seen a split. On the other hand I have friends who trim all the time and they constantly have to trim them off. :confused:

fluffybunny
December 20th, 2011, 06:52 PM
I've read somewhere that if you don't trim them, they'll actually fix themselves over time anyway. One of the split sides will break off and you'll be left with a tapered strand. I barely notice any splits on my own hair. If I see one and have scissors handy, I'll snip it off.

Carissamarie08
December 20th, 2011, 11:07 PM
Yeah, I hardly get splits just because my hair is so strong and coarse. but when I do see one I usually just ignore it.

jojo
December 21st, 2011, 12:48 PM
Split ends are more likely to show on older, longer hair. I never saw a one until i was passing BSL, so if your going to go no trims its best to do it while your hair is shorter. From very short i went 2 years and had no problem, yet I tried it last year and 3 months was the longest I could manage. good luck.

Amber_Maiden
December 21st, 2011, 12:55 PM
S&D- that isn't trimming to most people here.

jeanniet
December 21st, 2011, 03:27 PM
You can S & D, or you can do what's called "dusting"--tiny microtrims once a month or so. I dust every once in a while (using Feye's method; link below), but mostly S & D. I haven't done a real trim in over two years, and in that time my hair went from chin to waist.

http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/

Splits don't fix themselves, but the hair will eventually break at the weakened spot. This isn't really a good thing, because the break point isn't a nice clean cut, but rather a little frayed and will likely split again. It isn't a huge deal if you only have a few splits, but those frayed and split ends tend to tangle together. I always know when I need to S & D because my ends tangle.

alyanna
December 22nd, 2011, 03:36 AM
I have very fine hair and so far I have not had any split ends. I actually think my individual hairs are so fine that there isn't anything there to split! I believe they just break off...

Mind you I'm not even at APL so I'm sure that I'll be seeing more splits as my hair gets longer.

julliams
December 22nd, 2011, 03:45 AM
When I didn't trim for a full year I had loads of splits but I just lived with them. I did S & D but I'm not convinced it did all that much for me. I think when I cut the split, it just reformed a little further up. You are welcome to take a look at my album of monthly photos (click on "show all albums and click on the album named "monthly growth pictures"). I went from April 2010 to July 2011 without trimming and you can see all the growth I got in that time - about 8 inches. When I had a trim in July 2011 I came home with splits still in my hair so I was a little disappointed by that. I just had a style cut yesterday which included layering and I think most of my splits are gone. I'm hoping to keep my ends very moisturised and see how long I can keep it split-free.

spidermom
December 22nd, 2011, 10:33 AM
Since joining LHC, I've done two one-year no-trim experiments, and for me, it wasn't worth it. I had to cut more hair at the end of a year than I lose if I get regular trims. I don't know what the problem is, but my hair just loves to split, and I'm as gentle with it as I can stand to be. Other people don't trim for years and do just fine; go figure.

Niphredil
December 22nd, 2011, 11:25 AM
In part it depends on how you treat your hair (and, how you have been treating your hair because it are the old parts that split and if they are weakened by previous mal-treatments...), but also natural resilience indeed.

When I didn't take care of my hair as I should, I would get splits and white dots withing 2-3 months after a (salon)trim. I went in 2-4 times a year and my hair barely got longer and tangled like h*ll.

The past years I managed about a year without splits but still had to S&D to remove the white dots that inevitably appeared despite good care.

Currently I'm again at APL with chin-length layers and want to grow until splits appear, then see if I S&D or trim. I do want fairy-tale ends, but not horribly split.

darkrose
December 22nd, 2011, 12:52 PM
I find that my split ends just break off and I'm left with normal hair. Once a split gets to about half a centimetre it just goes. I also S & D occasionally, I have gone about 4 months with no cuts so far :)

LocustSpawning
December 22nd, 2011, 01:01 PM
It really does vary from person to person. My hardly ever get splits and can go for ages with no trims, thankfully!!

princesitamaria
December 22nd, 2011, 01:07 PM
I have a question and I am new to the site and tips. I was wondering how can you go a whole year without trimming? I get split ends all the time and I have to trim them. I have just started oiling and vitamins thanks to this site, but is there even more I am missing? I know that split ends can cause breakage if not taken care of and if I could learn even more then count me in!
P.s I have been on this site everyday and I just wanted to say how amazing this site is!
I have been learning for a couple months now and let me tell u go to the article section, there is one article that shows you what a split can look like- they come in many forms! and also there is a damage care article- My ends where bleached and even tho I didnt use to trim that often before it wasnt making my hair look healthy the ends just looked worse and worse- so if you do micro trims you wont even notice the trim but you will notice it getting healthier and healthier. If you have 6 inches of damage it does not matter if you cut 1/4 or 3 inches-your stil gonna have damage- but you can prolong it by just cutting 1/4 every so often depending on your damage and how many splits you have, and still get that growth you want at the same time- good luck :) thats only if you got a ton of dye in your hair- everybody's hair is completely dif depending on how the wash it- how they take care of it, etc.

white.chocolate
December 23rd, 2011, 07:06 AM
It depends on how much split ends you have, I think. I do S&D's (a little bit time-consuming), but giving it a trim regularly is a healthier option.

haibane
December 24th, 2011, 09:49 AM
I replied to this when you asked in the no trims thread:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=1914992#post1914992