PDA

View Full Version : The One Thing Responsible For Your Hair Growth

jazzy_jaz00
December 20th, 2011, 12:42 PM
Hello ladies,

I just wanted to know if any of you have a story about your hair that you feel made the difference in how fast your hair grew? Was it a product or change in routine? Any stories would be appreciated...I need some inspiration!

Jazz

shackleford
December 20th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Change in routine. I really thought that MegaTek was aiding my growth a lot when I firsts tarted using it, but I got the same growth without it, so silly me :)
I stopped using heat, hair dye (salon or box), stopped using shampoo (although six months later I use it occasionally), and started wearing my hair in braids and buns. Bobby pins are life-savers for getting through styling bangs without heat. Oiling my hair gently with coconut oil on the length and ends and stretching washes have done so much. And I still have a lot of splits, but they were there before and my hair is in much, much better shape!
Good luck to you in your growing journey!

jacqueline101
December 20th, 2011, 12:52 PM
Oiling and monistat

anikadear
December 20th, 2011, 12:58 PM
I can't quite comment on length yet since I'm still pretty new to the boards, but the overall quality of my hair has drastically improved since joining. I CWC, and only with a sulfate-free shampoo, once a week. No blow frying, flat iron once a month at best (haven't actually flat ironed my hair in years until two weeks ago to measure length), not fiddling, and oiling has mad a huge difference. I don't have scarecrow hair anymore :D

jazzy_jaz00
December 20th, 2011, 01:00 PM
@jacqueline101 : oiling the scalp...hair or both?

Mommyof4
December 20th, 2011, 01:03 PM
I've noticed that getting enough rest and less stress are huge factors, above all else, in my hair growth.

Amber_Maiden
December 20th, 2011, 01:03 PM
Benign neglect.

DancingQueen
December 20th, 2011, 01:06 PM
I am new to oiling, but I have a feeling it will have a huge effect. I put most on my scalp, a bit on length and ends, and wash out the morning after.

Other than that, washing my hair more often made a huge difference. I used to try and stretch it to 4 or 5 day, but every 3 days work for me. Just enough so it does not get oily too fast, but still did not clog the cuticles, so the hair could grow... (not sure this is what you would say in english, but I think that is how it is said.) :)

pes3108
December 20th, 2011, 01:43 PM
no chemicals or heat is definitely the biggest thing that has helped me!!! I used to chemically dye my hair red once a month and straighten about every day ... :eek:
... all because i thought i wasn't doing any damage because i used a heat protector :disgust:
my hair has not only grown loads since i stopped coloring and straightening, but the quality has improved dramatically!!! its a lot shinier and silkier now and i am finding fewer and fewer splits!!

vanillabones
December 20th, 2011, 01:44 PM
Change of routine and patience.
No more heat no more brushing no more dying is the secret in my opinion ;)
And a wholeeeeee lot of waiting :D

Madora
December 20th, 2011, 01:46 PM
Patience and brushing 100 strokes a day with my pure bbb!

jazzy_jaz00
December 20th, 2011, 02:09 PM
Thanks ladies...this is some great info!

Carissamarie08
December 20th, 2011, 02:18 PM
scalp massage and drinking lots of water.

Sundial
December 20th, 2011, 02:37 PM
For me, not trimming as often is the key. I used to get trims monthly but after learning about LHC and picking up haircare tips from here, I realized that I didn't need to trim so frequently. I went from monthly near 1" trims to quarterly dustings.

In fact, I try to stretch these dustings as much as possible because my hair no longer gets damaged ends and only require trims to keep the hemline tidy. I just get at the damaged strands via S&D and that saves me a lot of length from trimming.

~Jenny^-^~
December 20th, 2011, 03:03 PM
Definitely brushing with a boar bristle brush everyday! However I'm torn between that and oiling both seem to make a big difference! :) I oil with a mixture of shea butter, coconut oil, olive oil. Make sure its warm, massage into the scalp and through to the ends. Then wrap your head with a towel to keep in the warmth. Feels great too! ;)

Callque
December 20th, 2011, 03:20 PM
Trimming bad ends and not damaging my hair helped me a lot in retaining length.

Biotin with Silica in it (1000 mcg every day/every other day), drinking water everyday, scalp oilings with Castor Oil (once a week/every other week), and scalp massages with a vibrating massager helped me speed up my growth.

spidermom
December 20th, 2011, 03:29 PM
My best tip: patience. Growth happens. Let it.

Gvnagitlvgei
December 20th, 2011, 04:16 PM
Oiling and monistat

How did you do it and how much new growth did you get with the monistat??
Tag me cuz I don't always frequent here...I might forget next time. Thanks.

BlazingHeart
December 20th, 2011, 04:29 PM
Making sure my nutritional needs are met and my hormones are in balance! My hair completely stopped growing for a few months when my thyroid got low. It was very distressing.

Rooibos spritzed on my scalp seems to help a lot, too. That's what re-started my hair growth, and I believe it is the rooibos because I forgot to use it for a couple weeks and had another growth stall. Now that I'm getting normal growth again, I don't remember to use the rooibos, but my growth is so fast anyhow I'm not sure I'd actually want to make it go faster.

HintOfMint
December 20th, 2011, 07:45 PM
I've answered this question a few times over the last few years, always with a different answer. There were times when I would swear it was the CWC, other times I would swear it was the S&D. I've changed my routine and my diet (although the diet was not on purpose) many times as well.

The one thing that has held constant has been the lack of heat drying and styling. I'm guessing that, and a decent diet have been what has kept my hair growing healthy and not shedding more than it should.

Hotrox
December 20th, 2011, 07:57 PM
For me it has been reducing the amount of trims I do, increasing my amount of exercise and a protein rich diet.

Mountaingrrl
December 20th, 2011, 08:07 PM
The single most important thing for me has been patience. I've stopped trimming, measuring and fussing with my hair so much and it's grown pretty much on its own.

The Curly Girl method has helped for me too.

Red89
December 20th, 2011, 08:10 PM
I don't know that my hair is growing any faster, however I feel the quality of my hair has greatly improved with learning about it and how to care for it. I think that overall has made me notice my hair more and has made me want to grow it. I don't get annoyed at the length of my hair because it's healthy. Before I would go crazy looking at frizz and split ends and cut it all of. Just allowing it to grow and being willing to wait for it to grow has made the biggest difference for me.

turtlelover
December 20th, 2011, 08:14 PM
Healthy diet w/ a lot of supplements -- good hair starts with a healthy body, and simply NOT CUTTING IT SO OFTEN! :rolleyes:

Mommyof4
December 20th, 2011, 08:36 PM
Making sure my nutritional needs are met and my hormones are in balance! My hair completely stopped growing for a few months when my thyroid got low. It was very distressing.

Rooibos spritzed on my scalp seems to help a lot, too. That's what re-started my hair growth, and I believe it is the rooibos because I forgot to use it for a couple weeks and had another growth stall. Now that I'm getting normal growth again, I don't remember to use the rooibos, but my growth is so fast anyhow I'm not sure I'd actually want to make it go faster.

Where do you get rooibos from? I'm interested!!

BeautifulSoup
December 20th, 2011, 09:09 PM
No trims for a looooooong time.

eyesofsummer
December 20th, 2011, 09:12 PM
Ditching the heat styling and dye. Honestly this has cut down on my slit ends dramatically. I'm still growing out damage from years ago, but the difference is so noticeable. I'm sure I'll be able to grow my hair much longer now that it's less damaged.

Jessibear2854
December 20th, 2011, 09:57 PM
Benign neglect.

Yep! Me, too.

akilina
December 20th, 2011, 10:06 PM
my hair has grown an inch since i did henna for the first time on November 9th. maybe even more. that paired with vitamins and wearing it up most of the week

Heartwillfollow
December 20th, 2011, 10:22 PM
Benign neglect.

this is what makes a difference for me.. When I get too excited about wearing hair toys and messing with my hair, or over zelious on trying new products/proceedures I really stress my hair out to have breakage which shows easily as I don't see gains in growth because it's just breaking off..

when I go back to simple proceedures spaced out, simple updos that are less stressful for my shorter length and just leave it alone my hair goes back to it's easy going self :)..

tgagurl27
December 20th, 2011, 10:34 PM
I would have to say benign neglect as well. That is just tying it up for months on end and not looking at it in the mirror all of the time..Because it is tied up you're not using heat on it and you're keeping the hair from getting damaged on the lengths..Then when you decide in a few months to let your hair down you will be surprised yourself at how long it has gotten and you'll probably get comments from people about how long your hair has gotten. That happened to me it's awesome :D I had my hair tied up for almost 3 months straight and I decided to let my hair out one day at work and everyone was like woah I didn't know your hair was that long. It's little comments like that, that keep me going in my growing process because I can never really notice a difference in growth. You just need to relax and not think about it otherwise it is a frustrating process.

Raiscake
December 20th, 2011, 10:58 PM
Getting enough rest and adequate nutrition did it for me.

Hylia
December 20th, 2011, 11:14 PM
I have been eating a lot more protein, and just not restricting calories like I was before and since then, I noticed a few inches in my hair the last few months. For half a year I thought my hair would never grow, but these last 5 months or so, its grown a lot and im pretty sure it was because of my diet. Just having a more consistent diet, and not missing meals made a difference for me, plus I feel better, so its a win, win situation. :) Also the last 2 years I cut out using hair straighteners and curlers and I think that has made a huge difference too.

Zesty
December 20th, 2011, 11:19 PM
Benign neglect, ignoring my hair, and not trimming. I got to nearly-waist without doing a thing to my hair before I found LHC.

owlathena
December 21st, 2011, 12:44 AM
Quitting heat and dye has helped me more than anything!!

dmarie16
December 21st, 2011, 01:14 AM
Healthy whole foods and regular scalp massage. I take supplements also. Fish oil, MSM, hair skin and nails vitamin (I take only vitamins that are food based and not lab created that do not contain iron or huge amounts of vitamin A as my diet very adequately covers both) and different herbs. Herbs are food, but be sure not to overindulge even on these.

|Xei
December 21st, 2011, 02:41 AM
For me, I think it would be switching to a sulphate-free shampoo. My hair felt less dry, and so did my scalp. I could stretch washes for more than a day without my scalp becoming itchy and flaky.

bouclée
December 21st, 2011, 03:11 AM
Daily scalp massage, definitively.
Biotin helps too.

Bene
December 21st, 2011, 03:14 AM
I stopped chopping it off.

MissAlida
December 21st, 2011, 03:16 AM
Drinking rooibos, avoiding the salon, microtrimming my own hair, patience...

Mina17
December 21st, 2011, 03:28 AM
Other than that, washing my hair more often made a huge difference. I used to try and stretch it to 4 or 5 day, but every 3 days work for me. Just enough so it does not get oily too fast, but still did not clog the cuticles, so the hair could grow... (not sure this is what you would say in english, but I think that is how it is said.) :)

I have this issue also. Stretching washes too long slowed my growth noticeably.

The other thing is learning about S&D.

ladylovecraft
December 21st, 2011, 04:01 AM
I think all of the general guidelines found on this forum helped slightly, but what has really supercharged the growth is finally giving up the bleach and chemical dye. I thought my hair only grew half an inch an month....converting to henna has made a HUGE difference!!!

CurlyMopTop
December 21st, 2011, 07:12 AM
If I can only pick one.....patience... ;D

arcane
December 21st, 2011, 08:59 AM
I have 4 things:

1. CWC
2. Giving up the hair dye/bleach
3. Knowing when my ends are too damaged to save
4. Ignoring it the rest of the time

Nae
December 21st, 2011, 09:39 AM
Time. It just takes time, and a lot of it!

jojo
December 21st, 2011, 10:13 AM
the one thing I can swear to is patience and many years, it works brilliantly!

A. Correira
December 21st, 2011, 10:56 AM
I noticed this morning that my hair has grown like crazy the past few weeks, but I'm not sure what the cause of it is. I have in the past two weeks : stretched washes, deep oiled my hair a few times, and had been using monistat rather religiously. I'm not sure what caused this growth but I'm not complaining. Haha

hanne jensen
December 21st, 2011, 10:58 AM
Monistat. Treating my hair very gently. Wearing my hair up all the time.