PDA

View Full Version : Red Henna?

Finnenna
December 20th, 2011, 01:27 PM
Yesterday, I went to my import store and bought something called Supreme Henna Al-Malook RED. I know henna is supposed to be green, but the powder in this was rusty brownish-red. The ingredients are in a language I cannot read, and the other one that did have English had ingredients that I didn't know what they were. The lady who could read it assured me there was only henna in there.

I'm not sure if I should put it on my head or not. It also smells off - not fresh and earthy like the henna I get from Lush. It smells sharp and dry, like old hay, instead of new hay.

I did a patch test and it seemed all right...but it came out super carroty bright red. Almost orangey. I don't want that.

3azza
December 20th, 2011, 01:53 PM
i would not use it if i want the natural stuff :(

Anje
December 20th, 2011, 02:12 PM
Well, it's supposed to dye red, but usually it looks a greenish-tan. (Though there's that Mumtaz brand that adds a green dye to theirs to make the powder look fresher -- decent henna, alarming color!)

I'd steer clear of the stuff. The fact that they specify that it's red as opposed to other colors raises the possibility that they sell multiple colors of "henna" that could have who-knows-what mixed in there.

Finnenna
December 20th, 2011, 02:13 PM
Yeah, I ended up tossing it - I don't need the risk of damaging my hair, or using something that would irritate my scalp.

Amber_Maiden
December 20th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't have used it either.

Mommyof4
December 20th, 2011, 02:18 PM
You can always google the ingredients next time.. that's what I do when I'm in doubt lol

Anje
December 20th, 2011, 02:32 PM
You can always google the ingredients next time.. that's what I do when I'm in doubt lol
Good idea.... it only works if the ingredient list is in roman characters, though. I've come across a few brands where everything's in Arabic script.