PDA

View Full Version : Cones, Coconut Oil, Questions!

Firefly
December 20th, 2011, 07:10 AM
I'm not anti-cone, though generally I prefer to stay away from them because I'd rather clarify as infrequently as possible. However, because I'm easily enabled :D I recently tried the Dove shampoo/conditioner recommended in a recent thread. I really love the slip and shine it give me, BUT, my hair seems to be more fly-away and prone to static. I'm not using any other products (styling products/coconut oil). Last winter coconut oil drew every bit of dust from the air to my hair (we have a woodstove) and weighed it down, so I hoped the silicone might be a better alternative this year. But if I have to wind up using coconut oil to tame static anyway, it sort of defeats the purpose.

Secondly, on a separate note, can I use coconut oil as a moisturizing treatment while using cones? My understanding is that cones coat the hair, so I'm thinking the coconut oil can't penetrate it? Do any of you use both cones and coconut oil with success?

anikadear
December 20th, 2011, 08:20 AM
My hair hates coconut oil, so I don't use it but I do use a cone conditioner because my hair needs cones to not be super dry. I use Argan Oil or almond oil in my hair and it has done wonders for me, and you don't have to use a lot.

ktani
December 20th, 2011, 08:22 AM
I'm not anti-cone, though generally I prefer to stay away from them because I'd rather clarify as infrequently as possible. However, because I'm easily enabled :D I recently tried the Dove shampoo/conditioner recommended in a recent thread. I really love the slip and shine it give me, BUT, my hair seems to be more fly-away and prone to static. I'm not using any other products (styling products/coconut oil). Last winter coconut oil drew every bit of dust from the air to my hair (we have a woodstove) and weighed it down, so I hoped the silicone might be a better alternative this year. But if I have to wind up using coconut oil to tame static anyway, it sort of defeats the purpose.

Secondly, on a separate note, can I use coconut oil as a moisturizing treatment while using cones? My understanding is that cones coat the hair, so I'm thinking the coconut oil can't penetrate it? Do any of you use both cones and coconut oil with success?

You will need to clarify in any case when you use conditioner and conditioning shampoos, regardless of whether they contain silicones or not.

Coconut oil will not penetrate deeply used over conditioned hair. However, it can work nicely as a surface conditioner, used over other products. If your hair gets "crunchy" with using it that way, just clarify. It is an oil over coatings result, not an oil result.

This may be an alternative, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=225 and solve your problem, without having to worry about static.

You should only need one application and the smallest amount on damp hair. Mineral oil is not difficult to wash out of hair. It like any other ingredient, barring drying oils, which are resinous, depends on how much you use.

spidermom
December 20th, 2011, 11:07 AM
I use both coconut oil (pre-wash oiling) and cones (after washing) and benefit from both, I believe.

vanillabones
December 20th, 2011, 11:44 AM
I use coconut oil either as a preconditioning before a wash but mostly right after my shower when my hair is wet on my ends, after I had conditioned in the shower with cones and I use a coney detangler after applying coconut oil on the ends. I definietly benefit from it still... I can tell the difference when I skip the coconut oil or skip the coney detangler and only use coconut oil. However, I won't try cone-free, my hair is too damaged and baby fine :)

gazelle
December 20th, 2011, 11:57 AM
I use coconut oil if I have used a light conditioner, because hair is dry after washing.

When I use heavy conditioner, I usually don't put coconut oil because hair looks weird, not soft and natural which I don't like(It seems as if I used styling gel or wax on it)

(I don't recommend Dove conditioner in SMT if you do it. Dove conditioner stick on hair after SMT, very difficult to clarify)

shackleford
December 20th, 2011, 12:53 PM
I NEED both cones and coconut oil! I have baby fine, somewhat still damaged hair and my hair loves both. I usually oil the length and ends and then cones go over that, gently, and it seems to work quite well.

jacqueline101
December 20th, 2011, 02:24 PM
I use cones and coconut oil too and my hair likes it. Mine is damaged due to a perm that I'm growing out. I also use an oil blend too and my hair needs it.

Firefly
December 20th, 2011, 02:29 PM
Lots of good thoughts and advice here-- thanks everyone! Time to do some experimenting. :)