PDA

View Full Version : Difficulty wearing hair down?

tamchronic
December 20th, 2011, 01:04 AM
Hello everyone! I've been wearing my hair loose frequently lately (though I know I probably shouldn't), but I find myself quite dissatisfied with how it looks when wearing it down out of the house.

It seems like my hair only looks lovely and pretty right after I comb it. If I wear it down, it'll usually look nice for about ten minutes. Quite rapidly, it begins to look stringy, frizy and unkempt. It doesn't exactly tangle, it just looks...bad!

I think this might be something to do with my hair type. I have neither straight nor wavy hair; it's that awkward in-between texture. Perhaps I should try curling it to give it some nicer texture. That could solve my problem...

Does anybody else experience this problem, particularly those with similar hair types to my own? Any ideas and tips to make hair look nicer when down?

DancingQueen
December 20th, 2011, 01:14 AM
I don't have the same hair type as you, but I have the same problem. If I can, I try to finger comb. Do you use a brush? Maybe your hair will like a wide tooth comb instead of a brush.

But best tip I can give, try oiling your hair! It cut frizz down to a minimum, and it does not weigh your hair down. I can really recommend it. :)

EDIT: Maybe you are more surly than you thought?

Tota
December 20th, 2011, 01:30 AM
I have this problem, too. My hair looks stringy after 15 minutes of wearing it down. It's soft, silky and shiny, but stringy and after a while it looks even thinner than it really is. The only thing that helped me so far is mousse but I try not to use it very often because it dries out my hair. I don't know what else could help.

vampodrama
December 20th, 2011, 02:11 AM
Yep, my hair is the same. It looks very nice, sleek and shiny after I brush it, but after 20 minutes it's just one stringy mess. My hair is pretty straight, but it acts like it wants to be curly. While it actually *isn't* curly at all.

I just deal with it - after all, it's not my fault my hair has identity crisis! ;)

tamchronic
December 20th, 2011, 03:24 AM
Ah, at least I'm not alone with my troubles. I hope we can all find remedies for this issue! Good to hear mousse works for you, Tota -- unfortunately mousse isn't too good for my 1c hair.

Do you use a brush? Maybe your hair will like a wide tooth comb instead of a brush.

But best tip I can give, try oiling your hair! It cut frizz down to a minimum, and it does not weigh your hair down. I can really recommend it. :)

I almost always use a wide-toothed comb, and I do lightly oil my ends every night. It doesn't seem to help, unless I'm doing somethnig wrong. Thanks for your thoughts, though. I'm glad it works for you :)

In regards to curls, my underlayer actually forms little wurly spiral curls, but it's quite erratic and most of my hair just lies mostly straight. My hair, like vampodrama's, seems to have identity crises, haha. I comb my entire head since I don't have enough curl or wave to just leave.

Mommyof4
December 20th, 2011, 03:30 AM
Try brushing with a 100% Boar Bristle Brush. Your local beauty store should have a good one at a low price ($4 or $5).. My daughter's hair is also in that range between stick straight and a little waviness. I BBB her hair and it stays full looking without getting stringy. I comb hers with a wide tooth comb, the BBB from ends to roots, then from roots to ends. I brush her hair for about 5 minutes, and when we are done brushing, her hair is shiny, not stringy and softer. Good luck :)

Shebelina
December 20th, 2011, 03:46 AM
I'm exactly the same, the only way it looked good down was if I straightened it, and I really don't want to do that regularly. I'm now trying coconut oil, I'm hoping this helps.

Siiri
December 20th, 2011, 03:47 AM
I have the same problem and similar hair type as you. Using BBB helps for a while, but it always ends up looking stringy and frizzy after a couple of hours, so I need to brush it again, which probably isn't good for my hair, so I don't use a BBB anymore. Using oil helps with the frizz, but makes it more stringy. I just haven't figured out what to do with it yet, it looks a lot better up if I don't curl or straighten it somehow.

tamchronic
December 20th, 2011, 03:59 AM
Try brushing with a 100% Boar Bristle Brush. Your local beauty store should have a good one at a low price ($4 or $5).. My daughter's hair is also in that range between stick straight and a little waviness. I BBB her hair and it stays full looking without getting stringy. I comb hers with a wide tooth comb, the BBB from ends to roots, then from roots to ends. I brush her hair for about 5 minutes, and when we are done brushing, her hair is shiny, not stringy and softer. Good luck :)

I've been meaning to get myself a BBB for a while, now. Thank you for your input. I'll definitely give it a go and see what it does :)

pepperminttea
December 20th, 2011, 04:13 AM
I get the same thing, but lately I've just been saying 'bugger it' and wearing it down when I want to anyway. I've heard it referred to as 'surfer girl' hair, for it to be in between wavy and straight (ie. air-dried, and not obviously heat-styled) and a little clumpy, so that's what I'm going with. :p

Hollyfire3
December 20th, 2011, 08:41 AM
My hair is similar to yours but a bit wavier, maybe the stringyness is just tangles? When my hair tangles, it goes up on itselft and i loose both length and fuller ends until i brush it out...when i do brush it out, it looks like my good o'l cape of hair again:D. Try combing it when it strarts to look stringy, also use some of whatvere conditioner you use or use a leave in condtioner (homemade or store bought) on the underside and ends, this is where the tangles appear the most on me and might for you too. Look at your hair in the mirrior with a smaller mirior in your hand to see the back, i take a brush to my ends when i think they look bad. You might also need a small trim.

Anje
December 20th, 2011, 09:03 AM
For what it's worth, I think this is a standard complaint from the folks in the 1c-2a range. I haven't found the solution yet....

teal
December 20th, 2011, 09:46 AM
For what it's worth, I think this is a standard complaint from the folks in the 1c-2a range. I haven't found the solution yet....

Agreed... I have a hard time wearing my hair down as well.

neverever
December 20th, 2011, 09:56 AM
Well, it dont sounds fun :rolleyes:... I dont really have the same problem because my hair is shoulder length. Its really dry and have lots of flyaways though. I think it would help a bit if you did a half updo of some kind? Than you wear it down, and up at the same time, hmm... But i guess its not the same thing. Still, i think its really beautiful. http://rapunzelsresource.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/bandana-curls-9.jpg?w=300&h=400
http://rapunzelsresource.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/shell-bun-6.jpg?w=300&h=400

fiddlefananb
December 20th, 2011, 09:59 AM
This thread applies to me. My hair is the exact same way. It looks full and awesome for 5 minutes, then tangly,stringy, flat, and by the end of day greasy. I just wear my hair down for a few minutes in the a.m. then put it up all the time after that.

spidermom
December 20th, 2011, 10:10 AM
Tangles are a big problem for me, but I've also noticed that after my hair has been down for awhile, it looks like a mess. It's all over the place!

Mayflower
December 20th, 2011, 10:34 AM
I sometimes get this problem too, mostly when it's cold and windy like today. A little wind and it gets flatter and tangly. Some days I leave with massive volume and when I get home it's kind of stringy and looks thinner. I hate it. I usely bring a hairelastic everywhere I go so I can braid it when I want to.

moon2dove
December 20th, 2011, 10:46 AM
My hair is looking and feeling a mess at the moment too :(

I refuse to even look at it and wear it up through the day. I only take it down at night to comb it and then put it straight back up again to sleep!

Nedertane
December 20th, 2011, 10:56 AM
Yeah, I definitely used to have that problem of stringiness when I was younger, and I guess I still do, though I don't think it's anywhere near as bad. When I asked a hair dresser about it years ago, they said it was because I didn't blow-dry it, so I got to doing that, liked how it looked, and got to be a hair dryer addict.

I AM breaking the habit now, though! Best advice I can give is to set a good foundation in the morning: Have your shower, put a detangler all throughout your locks, and comb (I use my fingers or a wide-tooth).

Avital88
December 20th, 2011, 11:20 AM
you probably have wurly hair,i have the same problem :) my hair looks best uncombed

Shesta
December 20th, 2011, 11:29 AM
I used to have the same issues when my hair was at BSL but I'm happy to say that now at waist it behaves much better. Which is not exactly good since I tend to wear it more often down and like it :)

Amber_Maiden
December 20th, 2011, 11:30 AM
Yep. I have a similar problem, unless I toe a side ponytail, or oil it heavily.

dwell_in_safety
December 20th, 2011, 12:04 PM
I have that problem a lot if I don't oil the ends. I remember that when my hair was longer it started to behave much better, so to speak, after it got past BSL length.

JuliaDancer
December 20th, 2011, 12:20 PM
I have the same problem. My hair likes to climb up itself and tangle or just stick to each other to look stringy. The rare times I wear a ponytail, it starts to creep up and bunch up behind my neck. My hair is not straight, but it's not wavy either, just like yours. Combing my hair isn't enough. I need to use a BBB to get it to stay nice for a while. If I have my hair down all day, I try to bring my small brush along and around mid-day, I finger comb, then brush again. When I get my hair layered, it looks much better, because the hair is falling in different separated piecey layers.

almond
December 20th, 2011, 12:20 PM
I have the same problem, and my hair is not even wavy.
One of the main reasons I choose not to wear my hair down...

Anje
December 20th, 2011, 12:22 PM
Yeah, I definitely used to have that problem of stringiness when I was younger, and I guess I still do, though I don't think it's anywhere near as bad. When I asked a hair dresser about it years ago, they said it was because I didn't blow-dry it, so I got to doing that, liked how it looked, and got to be a hair dryer addict.
That follows pretty well with my experience. I didn't notice this nearly so much when my hair was a bit on the dry side, which a blow dryer would accomplish. The hair stayed separated into individual hairs more instead of forming clumps. Now that my hair is more moisturized, it definitely clumps up a bit more. For me, leave-in conditioners and oil tends to make it worse (possibly because it then picks up cat hairs which encourage the clumping faster :rolleyes:), but I like how oils feel in my hair enough that I tend to oil anyway. I usually prefer my hair contained and out of my way, so it doesn't matter too much to me.

Juneii
December 20th, 2011, 12:23 PM
yeah my hair does this and I have straight hair.. only for me my hair tangles where it rubs against the back of my shirt. gah!

Nedertane
December 20th, 2011, 02:05 PM
For me, leave-in conditioners and oil tends to make it worse (possibly because it then picks up cat hairs which encourage the clumping faster :rolleyes:), but I like how oils feel in my hair enough that I tend to oil anyway. I usually prefer my hair contained and out of my way, so it doesn't matter too much to me.

Very funny that you say that. I've got two chow-husky dogs, and I'm continually finding their hairs within mine in the shower. I don't know if it's related to my use of leave-in conditioner, though lol.

jacqueline101
December 20th, 2011, 02:10 PM
I did have this problem when my hair was first starting to grow long. I wasn't able to do any up dos I had to oil it moisture it a lot this helped me a lot.

Zesty
December 20th, 2011, 02:16 PM
I have this problem as well. It's worse in the winter. It's good to know that I'm not the only one.

Jessibear2854
December 20th, 2011, 02:35 PM
I am wondering if clarifying might help?:confused:

MJheals
December 20th, 2011, 03:19 PM
Another inbetweener chiming in here, I have all of the same problems. My guess is the clumps and frizz are because there are sections (or even just strands) of our hair that ARE wavy. So the clumping is probably sad 'waves' trying to form, and the frizz and tangles are from disturbing the 'wave' pattern.
Have you tried switching your routine to be more wave friendly? I haven't tried this yet, but I'm going to soon. I guess that would mean banning all brushes (including BBBs) for a few weeks and possibly going CO if you aren't already. Maybe even try plopping and/or scrunching for styling?

Other than that, there are natural/organic hairsprays out there, and those can REALLY help! I ran out last month and haven't been able to use any, I can definitely see a difference. The way I use it, is to spritz a very small amount over my hair and brush through right after (before it sets). I also have spritz-ed my brush and brushed through instead. It just helps keep your hair in the shape it was when you brushed out.

HTH, and looking forward to any ideas :D

MJheals
December 20th, 2011, 07:23 PM
Forgot to add, the only reason I suggest trying a wavy routine is that you may be wavier than you think. If you have some waves at your nape, it's likely there might be more hiding or being manipulated out. (I have secret hopes that when I switch my routine I will magically discover perfect waves, haha) ;)

jessa
December 21st, 2011, 03:29 AM
i had the same issue. i now let my hair air dry and brush with only my fingers and apply macadamia oil and it sits great ever since.

neverever
December 21st, 2011, 04:02 AM
I think MJheals have a point there. Some people are a bit more wavy than they think and styles their hair like its straight. It can help if you stop using shampoo, if you dont already have. That will help the hair from getting dryed out. And less frizzy. But I guess many here knows that :p

alyanna
December 21st, 2011, 04:13 AM

I was also going to say something to that effect. I'm actually a 2c or something, so a bit wurlier but I think this complaint has more to do with FINE hair that is in the middle of the wurl/curl range.

I suppose super straight hair might be a bit smoother/silkier, making it less prone to tangles, while super curly hair is usually left unbrushed.

I think the problem arises when wurly, fine hair is brushed or you attempt to detangle. It just doesn't stay that way and tends to want to wurl/curl back ... hence, the crazy tangles. Fine strands just tangle so much more and are so much easier to rip through inadvertently.

luthein
January 2nd, 2012, 11:03 AM
My issue is twofold. My hair tangles up like others described above, and I am very afraid of hair friction.

Long_hair_bear
January 2nd, 2012, 11:08 AM
I actually have the opposite problem. I feel weird if my hair isn't down or on my neck. Every time I wear my hair up and look in the mirror, I look strange to me. I wear it up anyway though toreuce breakage. :)

gogirlanime
January 2nd, 2012, 11:43 AM
I don't have the same hair type as you, but I have the same problem. If I can, I try to finger comb. Do you use a brush? Maybe your hair will like a wide tooth comb instead of a brush.

I second this. I have fine wurly hair and it can look like a mess too. I control it by adding a thin layer of jojoba oil to my hands and carefully hand brush it into my hair (except a few inches closest to the roots) or choose whatever amount of length you think needs the boost. Then I take my "towel" a piece of satin and careful squeeze (without twisting or pulling) the excess oil

torrilin
January 2nd, 2012, 06:31 PM
That follows pretty well with my experience. I didn't notice this nearly so much when my hair was a bit on the dry side, which a blow dryer would accomplish. The hair stayed separated into individual hairs more instead of forming clumps. Now that my hair is more moisturized, it definitely clumps up a bit more. For me, leave-in conditioners and oil tends to make it worse (possibly because it then picks up cat hairs which encourage the clumping faster :rolleyes:), but I like how oils feel in my hair enough that I tend to oil anyway. I usually prefer my hair contained and out of my way, so it doesn't matter too much to me.

Huh, total opposite here.

Soak hair in conditioner. Don't rinse it out thoroughly, and letting it soak like a conditioner only wash is fine. If I want my hair to look straight, comb it out while wet. It might be necessary to comb it out more than once to break up the clumps. That's fine, since it's also a good way to loosen up shed hair. Voila, my hair looks like a 1a curtain.

It's always going to be flyaway, but that isn't due to the waves, that's due to the just plain fine. My hair will cheerfully levitate up to level with my cheekbones even when it's waist length due to static.

If I want as wavy a look as I can possibly get, same conditioner soak. For waves tho, I rake gel into my hair while it's sopping wet, and I let it air dry without touching it. I won't have a strong wave, but the clumps will hold together and look reasonably intentional. Even styled for maximum wave tho, the only people who'd notice my waves as waves are the curly side of the family :). They know how much I like waves and curls, so they *notice* my hair's feeble attempts.

For my hair, the conditioner I use for the soaks matters rather a lot. Some conditioners get absorbed well and give lots of slip. Others don't absorb well or are drying or make my hair feel coated. The best one I've found for the purpose is Alba Botanica's leave in conditioner. An honorable mention to Alaffia's Everyday Shea conditioner, because that one gets absorbed like nobody's business, and it's very wave enhancing for me. It's absolutely no good for slip tho, so if I want the straight look, it doesn't work.