PDA

View Full Version : I think I might cut my hair to a bob this year. Can I still hang with you guys??

hototogisu
December 19th, 2011, 04:13 PM
I'm having major fantasies of cutting my hair into an Alexa Chung bob and getting my hair expensively highlighted back to my original colour. This is because I have a bunch of layers around my face that I HATE, and I currently colour my regrowth every 2-3 weeks.

Honestly, my hair feels pretty good, but I don't think I've been my natural colour since I was 15, and reading the boards is giving me major hair guilt.

It'll break my heart to cut my hair off, but it's not so bad if I'm doing it to grow out healthy hair, right?

pepperminttea
December 19th, 2011, 04:22 PM
... and reading the boards is giving me major hair guilt.

Do you want your natural colour? If you do, by all means go back to it (the lack of root maintenance is wonderful!), but if you feel happier with a colour you've chosen, you don't need to feel guilty about that. :flower:

jacqueline101
December 19th, 2011, 04:23 PM
I wouldn't get you kicked off here for the bob hair cut.

Zesty
December 19th, 2011, 05:05 PM
IMO, everyone who wants to learn something about hair and can play well with others is welcome on the LHC, regardless of what their hair is like or what they want it to be. So do what makes you happy with your hair. :)

Mountaingrrl
December 19th, 2011, 05:30 PM
There are LHCers who start out from bald, so why not from a bob? Sounds like a cool new journey with new goals, and I'm sure you'll find others doing similar things here.

ladyfey
December 19th, 2011, 05:40 PM
I did the same thing years ago! I had knee length, dyed hair and grew out my roots to a bit above shoulder and did the bob chop. I loved the bob actually, may go back to it someday. I will say, having your hair natural is soooo much easier. I wonder now why I ever dyed it!
So I would recommend it, have fun with it! :)

jojo
December 20th, 2011, 04:12 AM
of course you can silly :) dont feel guilty for wanting to do something different with your hair, we have lots of people on here with hair from bald to floor. Enjoy your hair!

freckles
December 20th, 2011, 05:33 AM
the bob is calling to me this year, too. Personally, I'm determined to resist, but no, you don't get kicked out for anything you do to your hair ;)

Lilli
December 20th, 2011, 06:30 AM
Honestly, my hair feels pretty good, but I don't think I've been my natural colour since I was 15, and reading the boards is giving me major hair guilt.

It'll break my heart to cut my hair off, but it's not so bad if I'm doing it to grow out healthy hair, right?

I will be the outlier here and say that it sounds like you don't want to cut your hair, but think you should in order to regrow virgin hair b/c that is what some people on LHC do. You say that it "feels pretty good" and that it would "break your heart" to cut it. That sounds like you really don't want to! You can start dying it back to whatever color you want to grow it out as, so that when it grows out, it will look seamless. That is what I'd do.

patienceneeded
December 20th, 2011, 08:41 AM
It's your hair, you should do what will make you the happiest!

hototogisu
December 20th, 2011, 09:24 AM
I think that's partly why I posted this thread. I am starting to get tired of all the upkeep, but I'm also trying to recover from hormonal hair loss. My hair loss has DEFINITELY slowed since I went off Implanon and stopped CO, but it can't be great for my scalp and hair to be dyeing it so often. Plus the layers around my face drive me NUTS. I will NEVER consent to getting layers cut again! I also find the idea of a fresh start appealing - I know my hair well now and have settled into a good routine.

That said.... I'm quite attached to my slowly-inching-towards-waist hair. It grows like a weed and attracts a lot of compliments. People genuinely think I'm a natural redhead.

Decisions decisions...

Lilli
December 21st, 2011, 06:04 AM
I think that's partly why I posted this thread. I am starting to get tired of all the upkeep, but I'm also trying to recover from hormonal hair loss. My hair loss has DEFINITELY slowed since I went off Implanon and stopped CO, but it can't be great for my scalp and hair to be dyeing it so often. Plus the layers around my face drive me NUTS. I will NEVER consent to getting layers cut again! I also find the idea of a fresh start appealing - I know my hair well now and have settled into a good routine.

That said.... I'm quite attached to my slowly-inching-towards-waist hair. It grows like a weed and attracts a lot of compliments. People genuinely think I'm a natural redhead.

Decisions decisions...

I just looked at your album and it is beautiful. It doesn't look thin or bad at all. If you cut it off, it won't magically look thicker (ask me how I know this.)

Don't cut! It's beautiful!

MissAlida
December 21st, 2011, 06:29 AM
I'd colour it back to something similar to your natural colour, and let it grow, maintaining the lenght, so it would thicken...but that's just my opinion...:)

hototogisu
December 21st, 2011, 07:53 AM
Thanks for your kind words, Lilli! My biggest reason for wanting to cut is so I can grow my natural colour back out. I'm naturally quite blonde, and if I was to get years (and years and YEARS) of red out it will involve some major bleach and highlighting. I don't see how the longest parts of my hair, which are already fragile, would survive it.

Tapioca
December 21st, 2011, 12:05 PM
I cut to shoulder from hip, and nobody kicked me anywhere. I'm with you on wanting my natural hair color back, so I'm growing out the henna!