PDA

View Full Version : Problems with CO after season changed.

Mairéad
December 19th, 2011, 12:10 PM
I’ve been exclusively doing CO since the spring and have gotten fantastic bouncy and soft hair but ever since winter got its groove going I’ve had flat hair that rarely looks clean. I don’t even know if winter is to blame but it would be a coincidence if my hair started sucking on the same day it got cold and snowy. I’ve found a couple counters to this that are OK for short term. I’ve recently unlocked ‘pony tail’ achievement have been letting my baby bun hibernate under my beret. I’m not opposed to this as I usually keep my hair out of the cold this way. I’ve also started shampooing more often, which I am not particularly fond of doing.

Another nasty and peculiar side effect I’ve been experiencing is my hair looks awfully dark (like it’s still wet despite actually being dry) but as soon as I shampoo it’s light again. Basically my question is if anyone has experienced anything similar (especially with the darkening) or has any sage advice to make my CO work again. I’d rather not shampoo. While it’s making my hair look and feel better in the short term, I know all too well what my hair is like when shampoo is a big part of my hair diet.

Answers to generic CO questions I may get asked:
I am cone free. I use a clarifying/chelating (it’s both) shampoo on an as needed basis (usually 3-6 weeks). I pre-oil with coconut and CO twice a week. I let the conditioner sit on my head for twenty minutes, massage the scalp for a couple minutes, tilt my head back in the water, massage again, and then rinse. I finish with a heavier conditioner through the length and then a ACV rinse.

Thank you. :D

Amber_Maiden
December 19th, 2011, 12:32 PM
hmmm... I was going to say it was buildup, but if you clarify that might not be the case. Maybe the dry weather?

Anje
December 19th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Not that it's much help, but I notice that I produce more sebum in the winter than the summer. My hair's definitely getting greasy quicker now than it was maybe two months ago. Could it simply be that you need to wash more frequently in the winter?

ericthegreat
December 19th, 2011, 01:02 PM
Winter weather is rough on all of us. The freezing cold air hold much less humidity than warmer air, plus the actual cold itself has been proven to damage skin and tissue if you've been exposed to it for a long enough time.

All of us in colder northern climates will experience drier skin and hair during the winter months. Our products and care regimen are not to blame, it really is because of the terrible weather. Its just something you learn to deal with. We need to use a more moisturizing cream for our body and face during the winter, and for our hair we need to use a more moisturizing conditioner and be more devoted to oiling our hair.

So there is nothing you are doing wrong Mairead, the bad weather outside is to blame. If you really do feel your hair is getting very dry, perhaps you can leave a bit more oil into your hair. I would NOT however recommend leaving coconut oil in during the winter. Coconut oil stay solid at a rather high temperature at 75 degrees F, so especially during the winter the oil will freeze solid on your hair. Try using peanut oil or almond oil instead, those kinds of oils have a much lower freezing temperature.

moon2dove
December 19th, 2011, 01:03 PM
I Co-wash and yes, I seem to be experiencing the same problems as you, as in, my hair definitely looks darker and seems to want an extra hair wash, which I refuse to give it ;)
I am thinking of changing my routine to see if it helps. :)

Mairéad
December 19th, 2011, 01:19 PM
Not that it's much help, but I notice that I produce more sebum in the winter than the summer. My hair's definitely getting greasy quicker now than it was maybe two months ago. Could it simply be that you need to wash more frequently in the winter?

I think that may be a possibility. My scalp doesn't produce much sebum in the summer and it's only till now that I would even describe it as greasy. I think I'll throw in an extra wash during the week to see what happens.

Mairéad
December 19th, 2011, 01:21 PM
Winter weather is rough on all of us. The freezing cold air hold much less humidity than warmer air, plus the actual cold itself has been proven to damage skin and tissue if you've been exposed to it for a long enough time.

All of us in colder northern climates will experience drier skin and hair during the winter months. Our products and care regimen are not to blame, it really is because of the terrible weather. Its just something you learn to deal with. We need to use a more moisturizing cream for our body and face during the winter, and for our hair we need to use a more moisturizing conditioner and be more devoted to oiling our hair.

So there is nothing you are doing wrong Mairead, the bad weather outside is to blame. If you really do feel your hair is getting very dry, perhaps you can leave a bit more oil into your hair. I would NOT however recommend leaving coconut oil in during the winter. Coconut oil stay solid at a rather high temperature at 75 degrees F, so especially during the winter the oil will freeze solid on your hair. Try using peanut oil or almond oil instead, those kinds of oils have a much lower freezing temperature.

Thanks, I had that feeling as I'm technically doing everything correctly. I'll invest in a new oil after some ample research to see what piques my interest. Olive gets solid in the fridge but not hard as a rock like coconut. Do you think that would be doable, especially since I always wear my hair under a wool hat?

ericthegreat
December 19th, 2011, 01:33 PM
Thanks, I had that feeling as I'm technically doing everything correctly. I'll invest in a new oil after some ample research to see what piques my interest. Olive gets solid in the fridge but not hard as a rock like coconut. Do you think that would be doable, especially since I always wear my hair under a wool hat?

Olive oil could also be a good substitute yes. I personally like peanut and almond oils for myself, but then again I'll be the first to admit I'm kinda nutty. :p

coffinhert
December 19th, 2011, 05:25 PM
Hey, you might try pouring vinegar on your head then conditioning over that (two mixed together against scalp), followed with dilute rinse, that gets my hair squeaky clean and I've been CO as the weather changes with no change.

Anje
December 19th, 2011, 09:12 PM
I think that may be a possibility. My scalp doesn't produce much sebum in the summer and it's only till now that I would even describe it as greasy. I think I'll throw in an extra wash during the week to see what happens.
Greasy for me is when it's starting to clump into strands at the scalp 3-4 days after the last wash, assuming I haven't oiled my scalp. It's a relative term. :cool:

Mairéad
December 19th, 2011, 10:38 PM
Hey, you might try pouring vinegar on your head then conditioning over that (two mixed together against scalp), followed with dilute rinse, that gets my hair squeaky clean and I've been CO as the weather changes with no change.

Thanks, I'll give that a shot next time I wash. :)

Niphredil
December 20th, 2011, 01:06 AM
No solutions, but I had that happen to me a few years back. I tried various things but never was able to get back to CO washing. After a period of neglect (SC wash) including a chop, I'm now back on track and using shampoo-bars with great success!

Safira
December 21st, 2011, 12:31 AM
I had this kind of experience. After everything I did (CO, deep cleansing, SMT, oiling) I tried to deep cleanse my scalp. So, I put deep cleaning shampoo to my scalp, let it stay there 15-30 minutes, and I did this twice.
My scalp has calmed down. It doesen´t get that greasy (washed at morning and at night it was greasy).

dmarie16
December 21st, 2011, 01:06 AM
I think your idea of trying another oil would be good; something lighter to see if that helps. Although I have read that castor oil is very cleansing and can actually dry out skin. go figure since it is the heaviest of all the oils I use!! Maybe try a castor oil scalp massage with a little tea tree oil a few times a month in place of your regular oilings. You might check out emu oil too. I have wanted to try this myself, but was afraid I would hate the smell. I have read that it "normalizes" scalp and adapts to oily or dry as needed.

Mairéad
January 2nd, 2012, 01:03 PM
Well, now my hair likes me again. My head is so bipolar sometimes. I didn't change a dang thing except use olive oil instead of coconut. I kept it stuffed up in a hat most of the time but when I took it out to wash it; it dried to its usual glory. :shrug: