PDA

View Full Version : Thin/tapered ends

DiyaC
July 11th, 2008, 09:57 PM
Hi all,

I was S&D-ing a while back and I noticed that almost every strand of hair has become thin at the ends! Tapered, actually. I can't understand the reason for this. It isn't like a broken off end where the hair has split and one of the splits has fallen off resulting in a very obvious point from where the taper starts. It's like the hair is an inverted pyramid. It just becomes thinner and thinner towards the ends and the last inch is just a wisp (like the tip of the pyramid). Has anyone noticed this in their hair? Why does this happen?

Flaxen
July 11th, 2008, 10:00 PM
That's the way a virgin hair emerges from the follicle. :)

Shorty89
July 11th, 2008, 10:01 PM
I think it's just wear from sun, wind etc. I have some of the same thing on most of my hairs. It can be minimized by keeping it up and taking good care of it, but tapering is bound to happen by wear and tear.

danacc
July 12th, 2008, 10:54 AM
Sounds like hair that's never been cut, and never been broken to me. Hair grows out with a natural "point" on it.

Faepirate
July 12th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Yep, it's uncut growth. A lot of my hairs have the same tapering, and all the baby hairs at my temples have this.

harpgal
July 12th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Unfortunately, I have this phenomenon. In my case it is the result of very old, worn, sun damaged ends. That is why I am going to maintain at one length (50 inches) for a year or so, in order to remove them.

bikerblue
July 12th, 2008, 03:33 PM
harpgal i have this problem too, if i reach my goal length and maintain it will my ends become thicker? sorry if this is a dumb question i'm still quite new to this healthy hair business.

Riot Crrl
July 12th, 2008, 03:38 PM
harpgal i have this problem too, if i reach my goal length and maintain it will my ends become thicker? sorry if this is a dumb question i'm still quite new to this healthy hair business.

The individual hairs? They will be blunted off by scissors, since maintenance implies you will trim at that length. Course, some of 'em could always break or split too.

Alethia
July 12th, 2008, 04:27 PM
There are two types of taper - one is where the hair has been split and the split has pulled off, but then the torn edge has a slight whitish appearance if the light hits it right, and the other type of taper is completely natural and harmless where the hair has simply grown from the scalp, and continued to grow undamaged and uncut. This second type of taper feels smooth when you draw your fingers down it and has no whitish appearance to it. If you are really concerned, you can look at the through a decent magnifying glass and see the difference. I have plenty of naturally tapering hairs in my hemline and they're just fine.

vindo
July 12th, 2008, 05:32 PM
As some have already said...its either virgin hair that normally looks pointy at the tip or weathering.
One hair has about 10 layers on average that wear off as it ages. The more weathering the thinner a single strand gets towards the end.

harpgal
July 12th, 2008, 06:10 PM
bikerblue, I think it depends. But for most people this is true. Hair does grow very unevenly (for most - not all) and if one trims, it gives the slower growers a chance to catch up. To be honest with you, at my length it is an experiment to see if my hemline thickens up. However, what I'm really shootin' for is to discard very old ends.

As some have already said...its either virgin hair that normally looks pointy at the tip or weathering.
One hair has about 10 layers on average that wear off as it ages. The more weathering the thinner a single strand gets towards the end.
Emi, I'm afraid that in my case because the ends are so very old, the taper comes from weathering.

DiyaC
July 13th, 2008, 06:42 AM
I've trimmed my hair regularly every 3 months so this can't be uncut growth. I think it's weathering. (Oh my gosh! Its weathered so soon?! It's not even reached BSL yet!)

Riot Crrl
July 13th, 2008, 02:49 PM
I've trimmed my hair regularly every 3 months so this can't be uncut growth. I think it's weathering. (Oh my gosh! Its weathered so soon?! It's not even reached BSL yet!)

Whoa, that changes things. And these are even on the longest hairs, so you're sure they're getting trimmed?