PDA

View Full Version : Colour question - new here!

boofles
December 19th, 2011, 04:34 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm new here and have a quick question about hair colouring, hope someone can help me :confused:?

I'm looking to dye my hair a darkish plum colour, but only for a few days, and was hoping to find a good wash in wash out dye, but I can't find anything that lasts less than a month and don't want to commit to it for that long or loose my current colour!

Does anyone know of a product that could help with this? I am UK based if that helps?

Thanks!

boofles
December 19th, 2011, 05:41 AM
Forgot to add - if it helps my hair is medium-light brown (about a #6 on colour charts)

Thanks again :)

Hollyfire3
December 19th, 2011, 02:31 PM
You could try food coloring? Never tried it, don't know exactly how well it works. Also, a deposit only wash in or spray in color (like stuff for Halloween) wil work.

Amber_Maiden
December 19th, 2011, 02:34 PM
Manic Panic or Punky?

Anje
December 19th, 2011, 02:43 PM
I think it's discontinued and I have no idea if it's even available in the UK, but Loreal made a product called Color Pulse Mousse that is still available on Amazon.com. There are a purple and a plum shade of that, and it's only supposed to last 8-10 washes.

I'd steer clear of Manic Panic, Punky, Directions, and similar dyes. You'll probably have the color for at least a month, maybe longer. They're rather variable in how long they last.

spidermom
December 19th, 2011, 02:44 PM
Manic Panic or Punky can last for months.

Amber_Maiden
December 19th, 2011, 02:50 PM
Manic Panic or Punky can last for months.

Depends. A couple of my friends found that by washing their hair more often it came out faster.

Though, when I did my hair with it it did last months... But then again I've never washed my hair frequently....

Shebelina
December 19th, 2011, 03:33 PM
There used to be a range called Shaders and Toners by Wella that was wash in wash out. It came in sachets. But I can't remember if I've seen them in Superdrug or Boots recently.

Alternatively Superdrug do their own range of wash in wash out colours in little silver bottles. In my experience they only really tint the hair a certain shade, but they work really well for my mum and she has much darker hair. They are only about 99p, so you won't have broken the bank if it doesn't work as well as you had hoped.

I hope this helps.

boofles
December 20th, 2011, 02:40 AM
Hi again,

Thanks everyone for your answers! Much appreciated :)

I have tried out the Wella Shaders and Toners, as I bought some a while back I hadn't ever used. They didn't do anything to my hair at all, so I thought I'd try to get a few more, maybe use 2 at a time, or someone told me once to use it daily to build it up, but apparently they are no longer being made :(

Color Pulse Mousse seems good, and I have seen some going around on Ebay, but the plum seems kinda rare - guess I'll just have to keep looking.

Such a shame things like this aren't easier to find!! It would be really nice to be able to have a temporary change..

jojo
December 20th, 2011, 03:49 AM
There used to be a range called Shaders and Toners by Wella that was wash in wash out. It came in sachets. But I can't remember if I've seen them in Superdrug or Boots recently.

Alternatively Superdrug do their own range of wash in wash out colours in little silver bottles. In my experience they only really tint the hair a certain shade, but they work really well for my mum and she has much darker hair. They are only about 99p, so you won't have broken the bank if it doesn't work as well as you had hoped.

I hope this helps.

the toners range I was going to suggest, they do one in plum but you need to order online as they don't as far as I am aware sell them in shops no more, you might find them in small chemists. I used to love the rich mahogany one!

boofles
December 20th, 2011, 05:02 AM
I actually used the Mahogany one 2 days ago, but it seems like it just ran straight back out my hair again leaving only a tiny bit of difference - same as what happened with the plum :(

I'm wondering if maybe my hair is too dark for it? It said on the packet for medium/light brown, and my hair gets called Dark blonde / light brown quite often, so it should be ok.. I also leave it on for nearly 10 mins instead of the suggested 5, just to be double sure it should go in.

I guess the Colour Pulse Mouse may be my best bet, I'll just have to wait until I see the right colour and hope it washes back out again ok - I've had some dye disasters in the past with temporary colours :rolleyes:

BelleBot
December 20th, 2011, 07:41 AM
I've never had much luck with the wash in wash out dyes, they never seem to take. My only suggestion would be to try spray in colour, but they can leave your hair very stiff.

Other than that you could try Directions hair colour (similar to manic panic) and spend the next week washing your hair like mad. It is possible to get it out within a week, though you have to wash your hair 2 or 3 times everyday for it wash out and it's not guaranteed, depends on your hair.

Or try a wig :p

boofles
December 20th, 2011, 09:05 AM
Maybe Directions might be worth looking into, the week thing was just as a rough time scale as usually temps take about 3 months to wash out, even though I wash my hair daily!

As for sprays, as fun as they are for quick colours on occasion, they REALLY make your hair stiff as you said, so I avoid them mostly!