PDA

View Full Version : I hate frizz!

yufeyziqi
July 11th, 2008, 07:30 PM
My hair, thanks to regular henna treatment, is silky and shiny, but it doesn't look smooth. I have frizz all the time, no matter how much conditioner I use. Can you help me diagnose the problem?

Once a month, I use henndigo (at 50:50 ratio). Then I wash it out with a lot of Whole Foods 365 conditioner (cone free, protein-free). Then I use a generous amount of Regis Olive Oil Conditioner (cone free, NOT protein-free) on my scalp and on the length.

I wash my hair twice a week. I use C(Regis Olive Oil) - W(Mastey Traite Shampoo) - C (AO Honeysuckle Rose) method.

I am not sure what caused the frizz. Protein? Too dry? Commercial shampoo? Or Indigo?

Thanks for reading and helping me out.

Curlsgirl
July 11th, 2008, 07:34 PM
Was it not frizzy before the henndigo?

yufeyziqi
July 11th, 2008, 08:08 PM
It was. :(

Riot Crrl
July 11th, 2008, 08:18 PM
This is something I found. I know that henna is not a protein treatment. It's a tannin treatment. But there is some relationship with tannins and proteins. Tannins have an affinity for proteins. It is similar to how the very protein sensitive often cannot use coconut oil. Coconut oil does not have protein, but it's said to keep protein in the hair. I think it is the same sort of thing.

Right after henna, I do not need any protein. Only moisture. After I moisture the heck out of it for a while, I can use protein again. Or, just henna again.

I would suggest to try dropping the Regis for a bit, and maybe substitute it with your AOHR. (Or maybe 365 for some of the routine if the AOHR is too heavy.)

jojo
July 11th, 2008, 08:39 PM
Aloe vera gel is excellent too for getting rid of frizz. I have just gone back to cones and notice zero frizz now.

Curlsgirl
July 11th, 2008, 09:22 PM
It was. :(

So it may not be the henna at all right? Have you tried oiling your hair after washing and then letting it dry? Also I use a good leave-in conditioner before the oil. These 2 things almost cut out frizz for me entirely. I use coconut oil. Some frizz is normal though for a lot of people so don't stress too much. Don't worry after you do all you can do.

flapjack
July 11th, 2008, 09:57 PM
I would try jojoba oil. That is very moisturizing and doesn't have the possible protein issue that coconut oil has. Or you can try olive oil if you need something heavier.

Koskaan
July 11th, 2008, 11:37 PM
Have you tried brushing with a boar bristle brush? I found it really helpful when taming the frizziness when I first arrived at LHC and my hair was still almost stick straight. I usually oiled first with the tiniest amount of oil. With your hairtype 1a/1b, it could help a lot.

sweetbluesky
January 21st, 2009, 04:06 PM
Try to take a drop or two of conditioner, put some water in it, and then put it in dry hair. Afterwards, take a little bit of AVG and add a drop of coconut oil. Smooth this over all your hair. Usually frizz means hair is thirsty. Wetting hair a little bit before applying something should help it look better.

salamander
January 21st, 2009, 04:16 PM
Bear in mind that some frizz is normal. It can be caused by dryness, but even perfectly healthy hair may frizz. It's just because life hates us. So moisturize a bit, but if that doesn't help, stop focusing on improving your hair's health (I know how it sounds!) and focus on getting it to lie down and stay in place. Thus aloe gel and BBBs. Also, when I let my hair dry more slowly, it frizzes less, as long as I don't touch it at all.

BlackfootHair
January 21st, 2009, 04:18 PM
It is similar to how the very protein sensitive often cannot use coconut oil. Coconut oil does not have protein, but it's said to keep protein in the hair. I think it is the same sort of thing.

My hair doesn't seem to like protein, and it doesn't really like straight amla in a paste either...but it loves coconut oil! :)

teela1978
January 21st, 2009, 04:27 PM
I wonder if your hair is curlier than you think it is. Your info says 1a/1b, but with frizz I would think you might be a wavy-haired lady! Maybe try not brushing and see if it curls up a bit?