PDA

View Full Version : whats wrong with my hair?

jacqueline101
December 18th, 2011, 06:48 PM
I'm using very gentle strokes when I comb and ii haven't changed anything to my care regimen and my hair sheds split ends real small broken hairs not full length hairs. I microtrimed to sort of speak. I did a hunt for splits. Its not my whole head that was doing this the shorter side lengths. I micro trimmed them and it quit. What was the cause of this problem? Before then I had a full hair trim in late October.

Zesty
December 18th, 2011, 06:53 PM
Maybe the winter weather means that your ends are more dried out and more likely to split. I also find that my shorter layers are generally the first to take a hit.

jacqueline101
December 18th, 2011, 07:01 PM
Did I do the right thing by microtriming? Is my hair care lacking?

silverjen
December 18th, 2011, 07:29 PM
As long as you used good quality scissors, I'm sure micro trimming was fine. Maybe you need a few deep conditioning treatments, to get some moisture back in your hair? It is dry out there...

Good luck!

cheetahfast
December 18th, 2011, 08:04 PM
Do you oil your ends at all? I find putting a bit on after washing protects them a bit.

spike316
December 18th, 2011, 08:59 PM
How short are your shorter bits? Are you doing anything differently with them than the rest of your ends (bobby pins, clips, loose so it gets in your mouth (mine has the same problem because it's juuuust the right length to do this! blergh!))

ellisbell
December 18th, 2011, 09:47 PM
As long as you used good quality scissors, I'm sure micro trimming was fine. Maybe you need a few deep conditioning treatments, to get some moisture back in your hair? It is dry out there...

Good luck!
Agree with this. Winter can really dry out hair so try doing deep treatments at least weekly. I also use a deep treatment as a rinse out in the winter every time I wash. I also oil my hair daily and braid it at night, and this is the first winter my hair hasn't been super dry and matting.

Mommyof4
December 18th, 2011, 09:55 PM
When my hair is like this, the ONLY thing that has been helping is putting a small amount (like a dime/nickel size) of coconut oil. I recently switched to the Garnier Fructis Pure Clean shampoo and conditioner and I've noticed way less dryness and breakage. Maybe it's because it's lighter on my hair? Good luck to you!

Kerin
December 18th, 2011, 10:05 PM
:DMicro trimming with good quality scissors is important as it will grow back more evenly.

Your hair is very weak when its wet. So you need to be very careful with the comb and never brush when wet as this causes split ends and breakages of the hair.

Its best to brush hair only when dry.

(spam link removed-moderation)

jacqueline101
December 19th, 2011, 06:16 AM
I did the coconut oil and I haven't worn or used bobby pins in my hair. My short layers are arm pit length. My longest are almost 7 inches away from bra strap length the last time I measured anyway over a month ago. I never brush my hair I don't like brushes. I might have to braid my hair all the time. I apply oils daily to my hair but the last bunch I made was a weak blend.

beautifulending
December 22nd, 2011, 04:42 PM
I don't know any tip besides to oil your ends. maybe your hair is doing this because it's winter I know my hair needs a lot more care in the winter.

allnight avenue
December 22nd, 2011, 05:40 PM
Ugh, my hair has been doing the same thing. All these little hairs break off that are about one or two inches long when I comb it. I'm just going to try to get more moisture in there. :-\ It's definitely a winter thing......this has been my first winter with hair that I feel is *long* and I am amazed at how much more effort it takes to make it look good....

Gingerbear
December 22nd, 2011, 07:21 PM
I agree it sounds like maybe your ends are getting dry. Oiling the ends and CO washing should help. You could also try wearing it up in a protective style this winter (with the ends soaked in oil).

jeanniet
December 22nd, 2011, 07:34 PM
If your ends are damaged and weak, the hairs will break at the weakened points. This is what you're seeing. When I go through my hair with a comb or Tangle Teezer, I'll usually get a few hairs like that, but if you're seeing a lot every time, you may want to consider a 1"-2" trim and then a change in your routine or products.

A few things to look at:

What kind of comb are you using? If it has seams, it can be pretty rough on hair. Make sure you comb from the bottom up, too.

The shampoo you're using contains SLS, which can be hard on delicate ends. If you want to keep using it, I would at least start diluting it down until you find the minimum amount you can use. Often as little as 1/4 tsp. is enough to clean hair.

If you used harsh styling products or heat in the past and have damage from that, you'll have to grow it out before you really start seeing stronger hair. It's just the nature of damage--you might not notice it as much near your scalp where the hair is younger, but the damage becomes more obvious as the hair gets older. Deep treatments will help, but mostly it just takes patience waiting for the damage to finish growing out.

I use Nightblooming's panacea (in her Etsy shop) on my ends and think it's the best stuff ever. A little jar will last a very long time. It's really all I use other than my herbal shampoo and conditioning rinses, although I do use oils every so often.

jacqueline101
December 25th, 2011, 08:39 AM
I wanted to post I did find a solution to my hair. I clarified then I did my normal routine and I did one thing different I put coconut oil undiluted on my ends I always oiled with a light oil on my length and leave in conditioner also. I guess it needed something stronger.