PDA

View Full Version : Those that take MSM supplements

Rockferry
December 18th, 2011, 05:24 PM
1. What dosage do you take?
2. Have you had any side effects from the MSM?
3. What benefits have you noticed?
4. Anything else you want to add?

anikadear
December 18th, 2011, 05:32 PM
I take MSM in conjunction with Biotin. I take 2000mg of Biotin and 1000mg of MSM which is one pill. I got headaches at first but I believe it was because I was taking WAY too many per day (the dosage suggests 1-4 per day which is way too much IMO). I started just taking one and have been just fine. I haven't measured my hair yet because I've only been taking them for about 2 weeks, but I do notice my skin is fantastic and my nails are growing a lot (most likely the biotin though). But I also have joint issues from previous injuries so it has helped tremendously with that.

swearnsue
December 18th, 2011, 05:42 PM
I have been taking 1000mg MSM a day for 4 months. But, when I started taking the MSM I also started taking B vitamins, fish oil, using henna etc. But I haven't noticed any side effects and my hair is so much thicker than before. Each strand is a bit thicker and my hair is growing in thicker also. I have a million little hairs sticking out of my scalp, now they are about 1 to 2 inches long.

KwaveT
December 18th, 2011, 06:16 PM
I can't really say if it was the MSM, the silica or both since I started them about the same time. First things I noticed was that my body hair and nails were growing faster. I was needing to shave my legs about a day sooner than I use to. I do it three times a week now rather than two. My nails also got much harder. They are much tougher to bend now even though they are far from invincible. I can still scratch them and break them if I hit them hard enough. Just to simply flex them they hardly bend now. The last change were to my head hair. My hair is growing faster. I suspect that I am shedding just a little less and my hair seems to be growing in thicker. It may seem to be thicker because I have more of it now. I have never had hair this long before. My last hair cut was about April/May. I started these supplements since September. I can definitely tell I have grown more since September than I did from April to September. The supplements are definitely speeding my growth. As for the MSM dose I started around 600 mg and have worked up to 2300 mg. I take 1000 at breakfast, 1000 at lunch, 300 at dinner. The pill at dinner has other herbals in it too including silica. I have had no side effects since I have worked up my dose a little at a time. I started the Biotin later so it has little bearing on my initial results.

CherrySilver
December 18th, 2011, 06:36 PM
I've always taken MSM, but it was more in the 1-2gm range. Recently, I've upped the dosage to about 6gm which I take half in the a.m. and half at night. It's a powdered kind that I just add to a little juice (for taste) and some water (along with 1-2gm of vitamin C).

My main reason for taking it is for my skin, as a number of people have had skin tightening with it. Anything it does for my hair will be a bonus. It's really too soon to tell, but I can't say for sure what kind of an effect it's having (only a few weeks). At least I'm not having headaches!

Hotrox
December 18th, 2011, 08:28 PM
I have taken 1500mg daily for about a year. When I first started it I did have a few headaches so I reduced the dose and then put it up slowly over a few weeks.

I 'think' my individual hair strands are now thicker and the new growth seems shinier, also I have observed that the wispy bits around my hairline which never grew more than a few inches are considerably longer these days. However, I have done other things to improve my hair so I can't attribute this directly to the MSM.

But I like it, I seem to feel good for taking it so I'll continue :-)

Rockferry
December 19th, 2011, 11:11 AM
Went around town today looking for these. I couldn't find any with just MSM by itself. Where do you all by yours at?

Amber_Maiden
December 19th, 2011, 11:14 AM
I get mine at health stores of online.
I take half a spoon a day- For 7 months now. I used to take it twice a day, now only once. I got rashes, and still have them. They move around my body... it's pretty gross...

Rockferry
December 19th, 2011, 11:29 AM
You got rashes from the msm, or you take it for the rashes?

Mommyof4
December 19th, 2011, 11:33 AM
I take MSM. I started out taking 1,000 mg daily, and then every 2 weeks upping it by 1,000 more mg and now I'm at 3,000 daily. I had headaches at first, I believe it is due to the fact that MSM helps flush toxins out of your system. I notice that my knees don't hurt anymore and that my body hair grows at lightning speed. I noticed tons of new growth, but not longer growth, on my head. I feel great when I take my MSM.. I've skipped it a few times, and my knees start hurting again. I also take Silica, but it seems to dehydrate me, so I'm lowering my dosage slowly.

I first heard about MSM when I was very young. My grandmother had issues with hair loss, and the health store recommended it. Her hair came back extremely thick and coarse and shiny and has been that way ever since.

I buy my MSM at our local health store.. but Vitamin World and Walmart and Target carry it, also. :) Happy growing!

Amber_Maiden
December 19th, 2011, 11:37 AM
You got rashes from the msm, or you take it for the rashes?

I got rashes from the MSM. Apparently it's pretty common. Some sort of detox thing. It's supposed to go away within a year. At first I had it al over my back- kind of looks like small pimples, but more painful, and they don't go away very fast. They disappeared after 4 months, the showed up on my chest- where they still are. I expect the rash on my chest to disappear within 4 months as well.

In2wishin
December 19th, 2011, 11:40 AM

Went around town today looking for these. I couldn't find any with just MSM by itself. Where do you all by yours at?

I take 1000mg a day. I have had no side effects that I have noticed. I have definitely noticed some benefits: my nails are growing faster and my knees don't hurt as much going up and down stairs. I can't say for sure if there has been any benefit regarding my hair but I haven't noticed anything bad happen since I started taking it.

ETA: I get mine from Swanson's Vitamins online

Oksana
December 19th, 2011, 02:28 PM
I take 1500 mg a day. I haven't noticed any change in speed of growth but I am completely convinced it helps with shedding. I use a hair catcher in the shower and when I am taking MSM there is hardly any hair caught whereas normally there is a good pinch of hair.

CaityBear
December 19th, 2011, 03:22 PM
I've been taking 1,000mg once a day for a few months now and haven't noticed any difference in my hair. Though my knees don't creak and crack a lot...for a young person my joints make me sound very old but when I take MSM they aren't so noisy.

_Emma_
July 27th, 2022, 11:30 AM

I'd like to revive this thread :) - I have searched this forum and most threads on MSM are quite old. I would love to know who still takes MSM, and if you find it advisable. What are your experiences with MSM?

I also really like the questions on page 1.

1. I started taking MSM some weeks ago in a dosage of 1600-2400 mg a day.
2. I am not sure if these are really side effects from MSM, but I have noticed very vivid dreams since starting with MSM.
3. It is too early to report any benefits. Maybe, just maybe, my allergy is a little bit better.
4. ---

lapushka
July 27th, 2022, 03:24 PM
I think I have said this in other MSM threads as well. I do have a Chondroitine/Glucosamine supplement and from one jar to the next one can be +msm and the other without. I see no difference, not in my joints, not in my hair. So for me it's not a useful supplement, I'm afraid, but as with anything YMMV!

TatsuOni
July 28th, 2022, 06:42 AM
I tried MSM for my joints for a while. Recommended max dose. No difference in anything at all whatsoever for me.

lapushka
July 28th, 2022, 11:43 AM
Tatsu, I have the exact same experience!