PDA

View Full Version : Best Hair Growing Tips?What helped you grow your hair the fastest/longest?

cldunzie0215
December 18th, 2011, 05:25 PM
Hey, I'm trying to grow my hair to 24 inches from 17, at the moment,and have read TONS of tips, products, etc. I'm currently using a bunch of those, plus the FAST shampoo/conditioner system. But I'd like to know, what helped YOU grow your hair the max length in minimum time?Products/processes/tips/diets, etc?(:Thanks!(:

Madora
December 18th, 2011, 05:45 PM
Being gentle when detangling with a wide tooth comb, using hair friendly products, brushing every day with a pure bbb, avoiding all types of heating appliances. Hair only grows so much per month and you just have to be patient. Also, trim away any damaged ends every 3 to 4 months.

spidermom
December 18th, 2011, 05:48 PM
Being so busy with other things that I forgot to check my length progress.

Pazita!
December 18th, 2011, 05:48 PM
1. Use natural/organic hair products
2. Avoid heat
3. Healthy diet

akilina
December 18th, 2011, 05:55 PM
i think the best thing you can do is just keep scraping this forum for info. there is tons of GREAT info out there that many have contributed to.
There is never just a miracle hair grower that makes it grow fast. all you can really do is promote the growth as much as possible.

i think some of the best things are oiling, wearing it up and forgetting about it, and possibly taking a good hair skin and nails supplement.
you dont need to overdose yourself on vitamins though like some do.

Maktub
December 18th, 2011, 06:04 PM
To stop doing the damaging things I used to do to my hair :)

Amber_Maiden
December 18th, 2011, 06:06 PM
Patience and neglect.

dulce
December 18th, 2011, 06:19 PM
For me it is keeping the ends moisturized,good nutrition and daily aerobics.Aerobics increases the blood flow all over the body including to the scalp.Have noticed when am not consistant with aerobics the rate slows down.

jacqueline101
December 18th, 2011, 06:31 PM
1 I learned the forum is your friend read and participate
2 get rid of the damaging things heated appliances damaging hair accessories and stiffening agents
3 wide tooth comb is great for detangling and styling
4 detangling spray is great for knotty tangled hair
5 if you wear your hair up it will grow down
6 oils are great in a mister spray bottle
7 you have to experiment to find what works
8 monistat mixed with mane n tail conditioner is great
9 mane n tail shampoo is great
10 leave in condish is great
11 hair skin nail vitamins are great along with multi vitamin
12 microtrim is barly noticed. Its a dusting of splits only not too hard. But not too easy.

anikadear
December 18th, 2011, 06:55 PM
I'm still fairly new to this forum, but like spidermom said, being busy with other things so you forget to check your length. All of us want super long healthy hair, but fiddling with it and taking way too many supplements isn't how it'll happen. I take two different supplements and leave it at that :) And of course, taking care of your hair. It's your "baby" so-to-speak, so love it and care for it and it'll grow. Don't overwhelm yourself with pills/methods etc.

Callque
December 18th, 2011, 07:41 PM
Taking 1000 mcg of Biotin every day to every other day (had to stop because it gave me acne), overnight Castor Oil treatments about once a week to every two weeks, and doing gentle 1-2 minute scalp massages with a mini handheld vibrating body massager every couple of days increased my growth.

Here's the Castor Oil thread if you're interested in it: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=18265

Good luck!

Zesty
December 18th, 2011, 07:51 PM
Forgetting about my hair and not getting haircuts. The only reason my hair has gotten this long is because I stopped going to the salon. Also, adopting LHC as my guru.

ludwig20
December 18th, 2011, 07:54 PM
My diet has definitely helped. I used to eat so much junk food, but slowly started to drink more water, and eat more veggie and fruit servings, etc. My hair continues to grow and it looks much healthier. Going SLS free and scalp massages (preferably with oils) has also helped.

jessa
December 18th, 2011, 08:07 PM
all of the tips above are great.
my hair grew like crazy when i started:
using a longer stronger shampoo and condish
stopped using heat stylers
wore my hair up, often
only ever brushing with my fingers gently
trims less often
stopped bleaching
changed to CWC method
and stopped thrashing my hair with a towel after showering (i only wrap it up now till its damp and then let air dry before applying macadamia oil and absolut repair leave in)

good luck!

Fairlight63
December 18th, 2011, 08:14 PM
Quit coloring hair - no perms - no heat appliances
Sleep with a silk sleep cap on, makes hair not as dry in the winter time
or sleep on a silk pillow case with hair braided.
Do scalp massages for a couple of min. bent over from the waist.
Vitamins (hair vit., biotin, MSM, multi. vit., )
Trim you hair every couple of months YOURSELF & then only trim off a small bit.
Use wide tooth comb
Use hair items that are hair safe.
Wear hair up in protective styles.
If hair is dry - wet it & put small amount of olive oil on it & bun it - when you take it down it will be nice & soft & not dry.
Use fingers to detangle hair, don't rip through it.
When you comb hair start from the bottom of your hair & work up.

anikadear
December 18th, 2011, 08:18 PM
Quit coloring hair - no perms - no heat appliances
Sleep with a silk sleep cap on, makes hair not as dry in the winter time
or sleep on a silk pillow case with hair braided.
Do scalp massages for a couple of min. bent over from the waist.
Vitamins (hair vit., biotin, MSM, multi. vit., )
Trim you hair every couple of months YOURSELF & then only trim off a small bit.
Use wide tooth comb
Use hair items that are hair safe.
Wear hair up in protective styles.
If hair is dry - wet it & put small amount of olive oil on it & bun it - when you take it down it will be nice & soft & not dry.
Use fingers to detangle hair, don't rip through it.
When you comb hair start from the bottom of your hair & work up.

^^^ Very well said :)

shikara
December 18th, 2011, 10:18 PM
Yes these are all very good recommendations! I strongly second getting the blood flowing. My hair slows to half the growth rate without it! I oonly either jog in place at a medium pace or do stretches and deep breaathing, or simple calisthenics.

JessiBird89
December 19th, 2011, 07:46 PM
When I stopped colouring my hair, washing everyday, brushing my hair when wet, blowdrying and straightening my hair and started to use more gentle products, airdrying and conditioning, I noticed that my hair grew longer and faster than it had been for years.

Shebelina
December 19th, 2011, 08:12 PM
Benign neglect. I've always had long hair in the eyes of most, but when my hair dresser moved to Australia, I didn't trust anyone else with my hair. When I finally braved the salon about three years later, the hair dresser flat out refused to carry out my request of a BSL, layered, face framing cut. Instead she chose to take 1/3 of an inch of the bottom in a blunt cut. And thank goodness she did refuse! I went home and looked in the mirror, to see what all the fuss was about, and couldn't believe how long it was, almost hip length.

Unfortunately it was her last day, I would have quite happily gone back to her for my trims.

silverjen
December 19th, 2011, 08:30 PM
Nightly scalp scritching with a fine toothed comb seems to have prevented my usual winter stall, amazingly enough. Other than that, avoid damage of all kinds (mechanical, heat, and chemical), keep it moisturized, and don't cut! ( still working on that last one, personally)

jojo
December 19th, 2011, 11:58 PM
Well ive tried everything monistat works but i get lazy! other than that plain old patience and TLC works! Just go with the flow, it will grow but as they say a watched pot never boils, just put it up and ignore it! mines been in the same bun for 2 days aw well!

Springlets
December 20th, 2011, 12:07 AM
Drinking around 2 large glasses of rooibos tea worked great for me. But also, as others have said, stopping destructive practices such as dyeing, heat appliances, and using more conditioner.

sarahbrownie
December 20th, 2011, 12:54 AM
Monistat works wonders. I get about an 1/2" to a 1" of growth a month, when before I would get 1/4" if that! I probably would have never known about the miracle coochie cream if I wasn't on the board. Also giving up heat was probably the best decision I made in growing long hair.

cldunzie0215
December 22nd, 2011, 08:12 AM
thanks everyone!but when you say, where your hair, "up", is there a specific way?are braids better than buns?and how exactly does one "scritch",hahaha.

Manny1826
December 22nd, 2011, 08:16 AM
I second cldunzie0215 question... what is the least damaging way people find to put their hair up? I'm guessing a bun of some sort since a braid can still allow friction to occur on the hair. But is there a bun that doesn't cause too much of a stress point on one place on the scalp all the time? Because it seems like that could cause the hair to thin in the area where it's pinned up for a bun?

cldunzie0215
December 22nd, 2011, 08:16 AM
and if you are doing Conditioner only, or CWC, how often would you suggest doing a normal wash with shampoo also?cause I gotta do that SOMETIME.or I won't feel my hair is clean ):

cldunzie0215
December 22nd, 2011, 08:17 AM
I second cldunzie0215 question... what is the least damaging way people find to put their hair up? I'm guessing a bun of some sort since a braid can still allow friction to occur on the hair. But is there a bun that doesn't cause too much of a stress point on one place on the scalp all the time? Because it seems like that could cause the hair to thin in the area where it's pinned up for a bun?

^^^^ EXACTLY!

Chamomile betty
December 22nd, 2011, 09:51 AM
For me it was as simple as wearing it up. I used a lot of clips and pins with my heavy layered shoulderlength hair at first. Then just a claw clip worked and so on. Honestly, that's what lets my hair continue to grow even now.

During the day Ill wear a damp bun in the warm months held by two claw clips. For work a french twist updo that I just twist my length at the nape then let the lengh sit on top held by a Ficcare Maximas. My hair is too heavy for a bear claw now. I will also secure my hair in a pony, then make a bun, and secure with one/two hairsticks. At night it's a long pony secure at nape and ends.

heidi w.
December 22nd, 2011, 11:03 AM
Hey, I'm trying to grow my hair to 24 inches from 17, at the moment,and have read TONS of tips, products, etc. I'm currently using a bunch of those, plus the FAST shampoo/conditioner system. But I'd like to know, what helped YOU grow your hair the max length in minimum time?Products/processes/tips/diets, etc?(:Thanks!(:

I did not worry about time. I just assumed it'd get there or close one day. And here I am about 20 years later, and I'm close to what I want. I'm just happy it grew at all, and that it's in good health. It's better to have beautiful hair than just about anything else one could assess by. So I recommend getting rid of the timetable. Best laid plans tend to go awry anyway.

Mostly I just ignored my hair, as most like me did. We just were patient, took care of it, washed it, conditioned it, and didn't cut it and left it alone. Benign neglect is a good thing. I had no real agenda.

Growing hair is about genetics and hormones, and there's not a whole lot you can do to hurry things along. That's the nature of the beast. Best to accept what is and not worry about what you can't really control.

Best tips:
detangle from the bottom up.
use a wide-toothed comb to detangle.
Sleep on a satin or smooth slick fabric so hair can slide and not get overly tangled.
Wear long hair up and out of the way.
Conditioner -- use it, don't skip it.
Oil length
consider use of vitamins (I can't handle a lot of vitamins so I never really used them much. I just let my hair grow.)
use a shower head filter, at least, if not softening the water if your water is hard.
wash your comb that you use daily alongside washing your hair, every time you wash. Keep your tools clean.
Find a routine/products that works for you and your hair -- and stick to it. Beware of cockamamy routines. Most end up returning to some basic form of washing/conditioning, or Condition Only hair washing.
Keep it simple. You're more likely to stick to it. You do not need all this expensive gear to grow longer tresses.

That's pretty much it.
heidi w.

gazelle
December 22nd, 2011, 01:08 PM
When I am not stressed and sleep well, my hair grows better (at least don't shed a lot). Oiling massage on my scalp helps growing, you can use castor oil

jeanniet
December 22nd, 2011, 04:24 PM
Patience.
Avoiding SLS shampoos or anything that dries out my ends.
Patience.
Oiling.
Patience.
Updos and being gentle.
Did I mention patience?

#1 thing--don't get hung up on trying to grow your hair faster. Anyway you look at it, long hair takes time. Enjoy the journey!

cldunzie0215
December 23rd, 2011, 12:25 PM
Has anyone used Biotin?how did that help?I'm thinking of buying some after Christmas.

Boudicca
December 23rd, 2011, 12:43 PM
Wearing mine up helped. I thought terminal was waist lenght, but since joining LHC and wearing buns my hair has reached knee-length!

I wasn't even trying to grow it! :D

Callque
December 23rd, 2011, 01:18 PM
L
Has anyone used Biotin?how did that help?I'm thinking of buying some after Christmas.

I took 1000 mcg of Biotin with Silica in it daily and I do think it helped my growth (and strengthened/grew my nails), but it gave me skin rashes and acne so I had to stop. Now I'm just starting to take 500 mcg of Biotin daily to see if that works.

You can search for Biotin threads in the search box and a lot of threads should come up.

Castor Oil diluted with tea tree oil as scalp oilings overnight, drinking
lots of water, and scalp massages with a vibrating massager increased my growth as well.

Castor Oil threads: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=18265

I now eat 2 tbsp of peanut butter a day for extra protein and I am looking into taking MSM supplements as well.

MSM thread: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=45973

Good luck with your hair journey!!