PDA

View Full Version : Home made hair treatment for my long hair brother

einna
December 18th, 2011, 04:10 PM
I have already bought my brother an x-mas gift, but I want to get him something more. I am thinking about making him some kind of hair treatment, as he has MBL hair and is pretty interested in hair care. His hair is dryish like mine, medium texture, dyed (growing it out) and he says the environment at work is bad for his hair (metal workshop). He uses a lot of cones I think, such as the biosilk oil.

I want to make something I already have the ingredients for, such as a mix of coconut oil and EVVO. Or maybe an SMT, but the humectants (AVG and honey) might be bad in winter?

I did find hemp seed oil in a store, he would probably like that because of the name, haha, but it costs around 25 dollars. Maybe I could buy it and make a coconut/hemp oil mix for him, and keep the rest of it myself? ;) Haha.

Any thoughts or ideas from the knowledgable LHC-folks?

moon2dove
December 22nd, 2011, 09:29 AM
When I make an SMT I replaced the Honey with some Coconut Oil, That seemed to work for me.

Happy Christmas :)

heidi w.
December 22nd, 2011, 09:53 AM
I have already bought my brother an x-mas gift, but I want to get him something more. I am thinking about making him some kind of hair treatment, as he has MBL hair and is pretty interested in hair care. His hair is dryish like mine, medium texture, dyed (growing it out) and he says the environment at work is bad for his hair (metal workshop). He uses a lot of cones I think, such as the biosilk oil.

I want to make something I already have the ingredients for, such as a mix of coconut oil and EVVO. Or maybe an SMT, but the humectants (AVG and honey) might be bad in winter?

I did find hemp seed oil in a store, he would probably like that because of the name, haha, but it costs around 25 dollars. Maybe I could buy it and make a coconut/hemp oil mix for him, and keep the rest of it myself? ;) Haha.

Look under Recipes or Articles section of LHC, if you have access and search for Snowymoon's Moisture Treatment (SMT).
Also, there's a book that'll probably interest you and I believe should be on every long haired person's shelf:

Naturally Healthy Hair by Mary Beth Janssen. It usually has to be ordered and is not commonly carried on bookshelves in a bookstore. It covers how hair grows, approaches hair care from an Ayurvedic perspective, the middle section has tons of home recipes for shampoo, rinses, conditioner, and the last section is about how to style hair. I like it for the plethora of recipes to make on my own.

Here's a link to the book and what it looks like for reference because there are other books similarly titled, but not as excellent in content:
http://www.amazon.com/Naturally-Healthy-Hair-Treatments-Fabulous/dp/158017129X

heidi w.

heidi w.
December 22nd, 2011, 09:55 AM

I know people like Olive Oil for use on hair, but I don't. I almost never recommend its use in hair care. But it seems to work for some. Olive Oil is a picky little substance, and can sometimes be a pain to get out of the hair because it's somewhat viscous comparing to other carrier oils such as coconut oil.

heidi w.

Amber_Maiden
December 22nd, 2011, 10:32 AM
SMT, definitely. I don't know what kind of oil you should use... one that you yourself use I suppose?

heidi w.
December 22nd, 2011, 10:36 AM
There's also Fox' Shea Butter Recipe, which I saw just today linked in to a link on Mane Hair Forum on LHC.

Fox is the webmaster of Long Hair Loom, a wonderful lady and a wonderful website much like LHC: mostly very friendly women talking and helping each other.

Anyway, hope these suggestions are helpful.
heidi w.

Tapioca
December 23rd, 2011, 09:02 PM
As far as humectants in the winter, I would say that it depends on the weather. Where I live, it's very dry in the winter, so I need more moisture than usual.