PDA

View Full Version : Fringe specially cut for updos (pics included)

luthein
December 18th, 2011, 04:04 PM
I went to a well-known salon in town for a bang consultation. I was incredibly nervous; I've been cutting my hair for 2 years after a few mediocre salon experiences. I met with their master stylist and explained the challenges she'll have to work with. I have a cowlick that parts my bangs in the center, and I have medium-to-fine hair and slightly less-than-average thickness. (My circ is around 2.75" - 3") I wear my hair up 90% of the time and I want a bang that works best with updos.

I showed her a few bang options that I was interested in, and she mentioned that many photos have the same cut, but they're styled differently. So she walked me through the styling process and showed me how to work with my cowlick. (I have no issue with heat styling my bang area only.) She said my cowlick isn't as stubborn as I thought, and she easily swooped it to the side. Then she sprayed down the bangs with water and had me dry it myself. It took less than five minutes to have a set bang, with a little spritz of spray.

I'm very pleased with my result. My bangs look rather full, but she didn't take a big cut into my thickness. The best part? She only charged me for a bang trim instead of a "cut". It was $5 total! She got a huge tip. Thanks for viewing!

http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=8206&pictureid=121468

http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=8206&pictureid=121471

akilina
December 18th, 2011, 04:08 PM
yay! im glad you had a good salon experience. i am a hairstylist and i hate when people have a bad one and say that we are all idiotic and stupid.

Hollyfire3
December 18th, 2011, 04:09 PM
very nice, very nice. I love it! What is average thickness btw? I am so glad you found a cut and a stylist that is best for you!

spidermom
December 18th, 2011, 04:13 PM
I'm glad that you had a good experience also.
We really need to stop bashing stylists around here!

einna
December 18th, 2011, 04:13 PM
Very interesting! I want to cut my bangs again, but it is hard to find out what will work with updoes. Looks good on you. :)

Hollyfire3
December 18th, 2011, 04:14 PM
I'm glad that you had a good experience also.
We really need to stop bashing stylists around here!

I agree, no more stylist bashing because they are amazing and awsome at what they do. I can never even trim my own bangs...

luthein
December 18th, 2011, 04:15 PM
akilina, I know what you mean. Hairdressing has the good, bad and ugly like any profession. My stylist was super cool. She has fine hair and she said that every hair type has its strengths.

Hollyfire3, I've always thought that 3" is the average, since it falls smack-dab in Fia's typing system. I am thin in the crown, though. My sister has incredibly thick hair but also has the thin crown. It runs in the family.

MissManda
December 18th, 2011, 04:43 PM
Your new fringe looks fantastic! It's so nice to hear you found such a wonderful stylist! :)

Macaroni
December 18th, 2011, 04:47 PM
Your bangs look great, so full!

Aliped
December 18th, 2011, 05:01 PM
Nice! The bangs suit you, and look good both with hair up or down.

jacqueline101
December 18th, 2011, 05:36 PM
Good salon experience is fun its when you get a bad one you're not happy and the hair pays.

jaine
December 18th, 2011, 05:40 PM
It looks great and thank you for sharing a good salon experience!!

Amazinggrace
December 18th, 2011, 05:49 PM
Your bangs look great :) Glad you found a good stylist, and a very good price.

patienceneeded
December 18th, 2011, 06:14 PM
Very nice! I'm getting bangs on Wednesday when I go in for a trim. I wear my hair up a lot, but I feel I look a little too severe (plus my forehead is a bit wide, I think) so I was going to have bangs added back in. It's been just over 2 years since I grew them out. Your new bangs look lovely!

Hollyfire3
December 18th, 2011, 07:35 PM
akilina, I know what you mean. Hairdressing has the good, bad and ugly like any profession. My stylist was super cool. She has fine hair and she said that every hair type has its strengths.

Hollyfire3, I've always thought that 3" is the average, since it falls smack-dab in Fia's typing system. I am thin in the crown, though. My sister has incredibly thick hair but also has the thin crown. It runs in the family.

Oh ok, well i get soo confused as to what ponytail circumfrance is i, ii, and iii, maybe someone can clear this up for me? My hair is incrediably thick (acording to others), but i do not feel like it is, please help with the thickness hair typing?

hendricks82
December 18th, 2011, 07:43 PM
super cute! I go through phases where I think I want bangs, but always shy away at the fear of how long it would take to grow them out!

Yours are lovely

vanity_acefake
December 18th, 2011, 07:50 PM
Your fringe looks lovely. Really suits you.
Great to hear you had a great hairdressing experience.

Callque
December 19th, 2011, 12:02 AM
I love your new fringe!!! It looks great. :)

owlathena
December 19th, 2011, 12:58 AM
Cute! I love them!

Fethenwen
December 19th, 2011, 01:24 AM
Awesome! Talk about great customer service :)

pepperminttea
December 19th, 2011, 04:43 AM
That stylist sounds amazing; she definitely earned her tip!

The fringe looks lovely on you, too. :)

embee
December 19th, 2011, 04:49 AM
We wouldn't bash stylists so much if they wouldn't bash us! The dusting that takes 2 inches and the tiny trim that ends up APL give stylists a bad name.

Your bang looks good, I hope it continues to work for you. They are annoying to grow out, so I'm not getting another! ;)

newbeginning
December 19th, 2011, 06:56 AM
The bang really suit you.

arwenevenstar37
December 19th, 2011, 08:56 AM
The bangs look really cute!!! :)

jojo
December 19th, 2011, 10:24 AM
I love them and agree wish people wouldn't tar all stylists with the same brush! theres good and bad in all professions, you found a great one!

einna
December 19th, 2011, 04:19 PM
Oooh, maybe I should go to a hairdresser/stylist to do my bangs before x-mas... I had intended to do them myself, or just leave them be for now, because I dont have a regular hairdresser, and the results are never consistent (and a bang cut is expencive). But when its good, it is good. Like yours! :D So hard to decide.. ;)

luthein
December 19th, 2011, 05:58 PM
Thanks for the compliments. :) When I scheduled an appointment, I only signed up for a consultation. It gave me some time to interview her and listen to her philosophy. She had some extra time after the discussion and offered to make the cut.

I'm nervous about regularly using the blowdryer, but I'll monitor the hair around the crown and see how it goes.

danivdp
December 19th, 2011, 07:56 PM
Yay for new bangs!! (I wish I could see them, but being a newbie....I guess I need to talk more and look less!)

bettylibertine
December 19th, 2011, 11:49 PM
Lovely! It looks great on you. I've been considering getting a fringe.. not sure whether it would bother me though.

dmarie16
December 20th, 2011, 12:08 AM
You can buy alot of cute clip in styles of fringe. Dont' cut if you're not sure!!!! Try on a style or 2!! It will cost you a few $$$ but you can take them off if you hate the results!!! Lol!!:p

BlazingHeart
December 20th, 2011, 01:01 AM
Yay for new bangs! I'm contemplating them myself. I haven't had bangs with long hair since I was little, and I hated them then - I have very dense hair growth, so even taking a relatively narrow section of hair results in very thick bangs, and my mother cut them and...well, I love my mother dearly, but she can't manage anything resembling an even cut.

BTW, anything in the II range is fairly 'average' - at 2.75-3, you're about as close to dead average as possible.