PDA

View Full Version : Hair Oil Questionnaire

Dreamkitty
December 18th, 2011, 12:22 PM
I just wanted to compose a mini questionnaire and would really appreciate answers since Im thinking about purchasing my next bottle of hair oil and these were all the questions that kept coming up in my mind. I know everyone has a different opinion and experince so this would be interesting to compare
& I have my eyes on trying Argan Oil :Dit looks so luxurious!

1. Which hair oil is best for hair growth?
2. Which hair oil produces silky, soft hair?
3. Which oil do you find is most greasy?
4. Which oil is most light and non-greasy?
5. Which oil is the best base for mixing essential oils?
6. Which oil absorbs into the scalp the best?
7. Which oil has the most vitamins?
8. Which oil is worth the money?

luckyduck
December 18th, 2011, 12:43 PM
I have only used 2 oils and both with great success. Both leave my hair silky smooth, both are not expensive. I use EVOO in my deep moisture treatment, and coconut oil as a light daily oil. I use both of the sparingly. The coconut oil does absorb into my skin well, I use it as an all over skin care product, so I imagine it would also absorb easily into the scalp. Another plus is that the coconut oil smell wonderful!

EVOO is much heavier than the coconut oil, so I only use it in the deep treatment once in awhile.

kristib123
December 18th, 2011, 12:56 PM
Now please remember this is only my opinion based off of MY current damaged hair condition :) I am sure over time some of this might change for me and could be very different for you.

1. Which hair oil is best for hair growth? EMU OIL AND/OR CASTOR OIL
2. Which hair oil produces silky, soft hair? COCONUT OIL
3. Which oil do you find is most greasy? OLIVE OIL
4. Which oil is most light and non-greasy? ALMOND OIL OR MAYBE EMU OIL
5. Which oil is the best base for mixing essential oils? HAVE NOT TRIED THIS
6. Which oil absorbs into the scalp the best? EMU OIL AND COCONUT OIL
7. Which oil has the most vitamins? AVOCADO OIL
8. Which oil is worth the money? EMU OIL

Personally I start the oil process with a scalp massage with Emu oil only. I let that absorb on it's own for about an hour. After that I will heat up a teaspoon of coconut oil (to just melting/warm) and then mix in olive oil, castor oil, almond and avocado oils. I then apply these to the scalp and down the length. Plastic shower cap with a fresh out of the dryer towel and once the towel cools off I just slip a satin cap over the plastic cap and leave on overnight.

jacqueline101
December 18th, 2011, 01:02 PM
I mix a few oils together and mist through my hair. I'd think the oils would've to be oils that your hair likes. If not it would waste your money and efforts doing it.

spidermom
December 18th, 2011, 01:08 PM
I don't care. Growth happens; I don't have to be involved.
My favorite are coconut oil and EVOO. I like the scent of the coconut oil best, so I use it.
Of the four (emu, coconut, sweet almond, EVOO) that I've tried, I'd say the EVOO.
They're all somewhat greasy - they're essential fatty acids, and fats are greasy.
Don't know/don't care.
I don't use oil on my scalp. I produce plenty of natural scalp oils.
Beats me.
For me - coconut.

coffinhert
December 18th, 2011, 02:02 PM
I'll just answer the ones I know for sure:

coconut, castor, olive
olive
castor-coconut blend 5. Which oil is the best base for mixing essential oils?
castor-coconut blend (NOT OLIVE)
castor, coconut, olive

Note: distributing oils on my ends with my boar bristle brush makes a huge positive difference for me.

Nannanej
December 18th, 2011, 02:08 PM
I really have no idea, but people seem to say castor oil. Hasn't worked for me.
I like coconut and sometimes avocado oil for that (and shea butter, but that's not an oil :b). The avocado oil is a bit heavy though.
Probably something like olive, avocado or wheat germ oil.
Jojoba oil, in my opinion.
Jojoba oil.
Not sure, I don't use oil on my scalp. But I guess jojoba oil could be good, since it's a lot like our natural sebum. I know it soaks into the skin on my face and hands quickly :D
Maybe wheat germ oil? Not sure.
That reaaally depends on the person. Coconut oil has been worth it for me, lasts long, isn't too expensive, and I've been using it often.

ellisbell
December 18th, 2011, 02:20 PM
1. Which hair oil is best for hair growth? From what I have read castor, amla and camellia oils. I have been using these for scalp massages mixed with Rosemary EO. My hair is growing but as spidermom said hair grows anyway so I am not sure how much of a difference they have made.
2. Which hair oil produces silky, soft hair? Camellia, Argan seem to be the best for this.
3. Which oil do you find is most greasy? Castor and EVOO and if you use more than a small amount of coconut it can get greasy.
4. Which oil is most light and non-greasy? Camellia, Argan and Amla
5. Which oil is the best base for mixing essential oils? I have mixed EO with all of the oils mentioned above and do not see a difference.
6. Which oil absorbs into the scalp the best? Camellia
7. Which oil has the most vitamins? From what I have read avocado oil, but I have not done all of the research on this
8. Which oil is worth the money? I think camellia, argan and amla oils are really great for everyday use. I do like coconut for more heavy oilings (or I just use a small amount for everyday use).

maria_tasha
December 18th, 2011, 02:20 PM
This is just my opinion and what I have tried so far:
1. Which hair oil is best for hair growth? Castor and rosemary (essential)
2. Which hair oil produces silky, soft hair? coconut
3. Which oil do you find is most greasy? castor oil and evoo
4. Which oil is most light and non-greasy? Jojoba
5. Which oil is the best base for mixing essential oils? Jojoba and evoo
6. Which oil absorbs into the scalp the best? Jojoba
7. Which oil has the most vitamins? Argan, Jojoba
8. Which oil is worth the money? Coconut

Kiwiwi
December 18th, 2011, 02:34 PM
I'd like to advice you to pay attention to what people with your hair type say works for them :-) But still it's of course very personal, what works and what doesn't.

Castor oil
Argan oil!
Castor oil, olive oil
Argan oil, jojoba oil
Jojoba oil
I dunno
I dunno
Argan oil

Obviously, argan oil is my holy grail ;-)

Nannanej
December 18th, 2011, 02:39 PM
Ohh, by "greasy", did you mean sticky? Because castor oil is really sticky, and can be very hard to wash out, in my experience!

Cleopatra18
December 18th, 2011, 03:19 PM
1. Which hair oil is best for hair growth? I would have to say coconut oil for length and castor oil for thickness.
2. Which hair oil produces silky, soft hair? haven't had much luck with this, but i think neelibhringadi oil was good. other options would be sunflower oil and sesame oil.
3. Which oil do you find is most greasy? probably olive oil. rice bran oil is not supposed to be so heavy but it just sits on top of my hair and does nothing.
4. Which oil is most light and non-greasy? sweet almond and sesame oils are pretty light.
5. Which oil is the best base for mixing essential oils? I usually use coconut oil as base for everything. it depends on your hair type and needs though. also coconut oil is not that great during winter time.
6. Which oil absorbs into the scalp the best? I have dry scalp so i never paid much attention to whether my roots look greasy or watever so can't really help.
7. Which oil has the most vitamins? wheat germ oil is so full of nutrients, i think it's one of the best oils out there but it has very strong smell and can be heavy for some people.
8. Which oil is worth the money? i tried many, many oils and the only ones i feel are must haves are coconut and castor oils.

blondie9912
December 18th, 2011, 06:02 PM
I've heard castor oil, but haven't tried it.

Coconut, jojoba, and a touch of olive oil are all wonderful

EVOO, hands down

A toss up between jojoba and coconut

Haven't tried it, but have heard good things about grapeseed and jojoba

Jojoba is similar in composition to the sebum found on our scalp, so it would make sense that is absorbs well into the scalp. I rarely oil my scalp, however.

No clue. I'm sure they're all vitamin-rich

Coconut is pretty amazing. I've had a tub for 8 months that I've been using for EVERYTHING (tanning in the summertime, moisturizing skin/body, as a cuticle oil, and of course as a deep treatment for hair) that I purchased for $12, and it's STILL not done :)