PDA

View Full Version : Vitex causing hair loss?

Sarah4983
December 18th, 2011, 09:54 AM
I was diagnosed with PCOS last June and since then have done everything in my power to save my hair. I lost a lot last November through February and I've finally almost completely STOPPED the shedding with this daily regimen:

50 mg spironolactone
1 GNC megawomen's multivitamin
1000 mcg biotin
1000 iu vit D
Balanced B complex vit
1300 mg evening primrose oil
1 cup of green tea
1-2 cups Red raspberry tea
1000 mg cinnamon

My hair is as thick as it was before any of these PCOS symptoms began and It's very short, above my shoulders, so I'd like to keep it from shedding as it continues to grow.

I just started taking Vitex from The Vitamin Shoppe to regulate my hormones and stop my period that has lasted for 2 months now, and since starting it last week I have started losing hair again!! It is all over me and my house and I'm having flashbacks of last November. I CAN'T go through that again.

Anyone here have good or bad results with Vitex and think maybe the hair loss is just temporary shifting of the hormones?? I can't find much info online. Thank you!!!

dulce
December 18th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Go and see a naturopath,if you already have,go back.

amantha
December 18th, 2011, 12:22 PM
I was diagnosed with PCOS almost 3 years ago. One thing that I have learned is that just when you think you get your symptoms under control, they go berserk again. My doctor told me this is probably always going to be case, these peaks and lows of weight, hair loss, lack of hair loss, no period, too long of a period, etc. So it's not really that weird that you're experiencing symptoms again.

However I would stop the Vitex if the previous regimen was working before and now it's not with the Vitex. But just to warn you, since you've only had your diagnosis about 6 months, even with your previous regimen you're probably still going to have periods of time where your hormones are out of wack again.

turtlelover
December 18th, 2011, 12:36 PM
Your period has lasted 2 MONTHS? Could it be that you are anemic from that?

Another thing -- D-chiro-inositol is supposed to be a great supplement for PCOS. You may want to do some research on that. I have PCOS, and I really, really want to try it, though it isn't cheap.

Edit: I forgot to add -- I've used Vitex to help me ovulate, and I didn't notice any changes in my hair.

amantha
December 18th, 2011, 01:15 PM
Your period has lasted 2 MONTHS? Could it be that you are anemic from that?

Another thing -- D-chiro-inositol is supposed to be a great supplement for PCOS. You may want to do some research on that. I have PCOS, and I really, really want to try it, though it isn't cheap.

Edit: I forgot to add -- I've used Vitex to help me ovulate, and I didn't notice any changes in my hair.

Ooo I'm interested in trying that supplement. I'm currently on Demulen 1/50E (birth control) to manage my symptoms but they could be better. Do you know what it does/what it's supposed to help with? Where can I find it? I've seen regular inositol supplements at GNC, but not D-chiro-inositol.

dulce
December 18th, 2011, 01:22 PM
Forgot to mention I also have PCOS,causing 3 diabetic pregnancies with pre-eclampsia years ago.Now am postmenopausal but had a fracture from a minor fall in my 40's.My mom had PCOS too and also got early osteoporosis.The abnormal ovulation/hormonal profile is a risk factor for early osteoporosis as well as infertility,difficult pregancies,diabetes,uterine cancer, and heart trouble and stroke.PCOS never goes away even as you age ,so look up the increased risk factors that you will have and try to take preventive steps now while you are still young .Due to PCOS it has affected my hair after menopause. Check your diet,low carbs and very little sugers also help improve the hormonal profile[PCOS insulin resistance] and in turn help your hair.

tinywife
December 18th, 2011, 01:46 PM
I don't know much about PCOS, but I do know that it takes right about 6 months for any health-related issue to show up in your hair. For example, I got stressed and stopped eating, and 6 months later my hair started falling out.

amantha
December 18th, 2011, 02:04 PM
Oh yeah, another thing I just realized. Spironolactone made me get my period every other week, and each one lasted about a week. That means I was bleeding 2 full weeks out of every month. Turtlelover is right, you should get tested for anemia. When I became iron deficient my hair fell out like crazy (still is since I haven't gotten my iron back up to normal yet :( ). Also being on Spironolactone alone could also be the reason you bled for 2 months straight.

dulce
December 18th, 2011, 02:53 PM
A low carb/low suger diet also helps reduce testosterone levels which will help hair.

Amber_Maiden
December 18th, 2011, 05:10 PM
Hmmmm.. I used Vitex and that never happened. I'd see a DR about it.

dulce
December 18th, 2011, 05:50 PM
I also used vitex in the past in liquid form ,alcohol based from a naturopath,horrible tasting so after many months I stopped.I also had no extra shedding or hairloss while on it or directly after.

Sarah4983
December 19th, 2011, 12:48 PM
Thank you for the replies! Since posting this the shedding has slowed down again... THANK GOODNESS. I was really panicking there. I cannot go through a crazy shed like I did last year again.... little shedding here and there is normal (especially with us with PCOS and the fluctuating hormones) but now I'm paranoid I will lose all this hair I've regrown the past year.

I decided to try just one Vitex pill in the PM instead of one in the AM and one in the PM. I'm going to continue it despite the hair loss freak out the other day because today was the first day I didn't have spotting in the AM.

Thank you again... will keep you posted...

Sarah4983
December 19th, 2011, 12:51 PM
Also, it is possible the Spiro is messing up my cycle, but even before the spiro I had spotting almost every day. AND.... I COULD be anemic... I 'm getting blood work done this Thursday so will find out. :) Thanks!

Fencai
December 19th, 2011, 01:04 PM
Im taking Vitex as well due to endometriosis and having a CKC this summer, and haven't had any extra shed from it.

I spoke with a couple of herbalists, and they said it is possible to experience a slight shed at first with the Vitex. This is just from the initial hormone balancing that goes on.
As long as it stops then there's no worry.

Since yours seemed to stop, I'd say you're ok with the Vitex

Sarah4983
January 5th, 2012, 02:01 PM
It has almost completely stopped. :) I'm still losing a couple dozen strands throughout the day and in the shower, but I'm sure that is normal

WaitingSoLong
January 5th, 2012, 02:13 PM
I used Vitex for a couple years and definitely never experienced that. Sorry you are having so much trouble.