PDA

View Full Version : CO washing and hair shedding

Brenda714
December 18th, 2011, 09:48 AM
Hey Guys, Gotta question, recentlly someone posted their hair was shedding a lot more with doing CO washing, I bought a big, expensive bottle of WEN condition washing and now I am afraid to use it for the same reason. Although I can use it along with shampoo and use it just on ends. But I'd like to know as many as read this have had lots of shedding due to CO washing or just the opposite. Please let me know, I thank you very much. xo

anikadear
December 18th, 2011, 10:45 AM
I CWC so I can't really help you on this one, but I think it just depends on what YOUR hair likes, so try it and see :) As with a lot of the advice on here, everyone is different so how others react to a certain method/product may not necessarily be how you react. If you're anything like me, I also get freaked out seeing negative results from certain products/methods, but I try them anyway because I might get fantastic results from it.

Thumper
December 18th, 2011, 10:48 AM
Hey Guys, Gotta question, recentlly someone posted their hair was shedding a lot more with doing CO washing, I bought a big, expensive bottle of WEN condition washing and now I am afraid to use it for the same reason. Although I can use it along with shampoo and use it just on ends. But I'd like to know as many as read this have had lots of shedding due to CO washing or just the opposite. Please let me know, I thank you very much. xo

In my experience, when you suddenly change your hair care routine, shedding can occur if only for a brief time. I'm just curious, why did you spend so much money on condition? There are much more affordable, and equally good conditioners in the drug store or online then WEN claims to be.

ellisbell
December 18th, 2011, 10:56 AM
I didn't notice any increased shedding when I started using Deva No Poo, in fact in made my hair much more healthy. I do not see how co-washing could increase shedding unless the person is sensitive to an ingredient (in most cases I would assume the culprit would be protein if one is protein sensitive). I looked and it appears the only protein in Wen is wheat protein, which many people can tolerate. Do you know if you are protein sensitive? If you are unsure you can still try it, but just stop if you have a bad reaction. Here is a thread on the signs (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=1148).

Overall co-washing and using cleansing conditioners have been very beneficial for many people as shampoo with SLS causes a lot of damage for many. This is especially true for those of us with curly and wavy hair, which I notice you have. I would suggest giving up the shampoo and trying wen for a few weeks and even if you do not react well to the protein there should not be irreparable damage.

ellisbell
December 18th, 2011, 11:00 AM
In my experience, when you suddenly change your hair care routine, shedding can occur if only for a brief time. I'm just curious, why did you spend so much money on condition? There are much more affordable, and equally good conditioners in the drug store or online then WEN claims to be.
Many people, especially with curly hair really like wen. There are actually not a ton of options for cleansing conditioners so it is definitely a good option. I stick to my deva no poo because wen has a cone, but I know many curlies who love wen.

almond
December 18th, 2011, 11:07 AM
I shed more when I tried to CO, but it was temporary. As soon as I washed my hair with shampoo instead of conditioner, I shed only a few strands of hair. From what others wrote it seems to me that usually the shedding stopped when they stopped doing CO. If you don't like to risk you can still use the conditioner on the length though. :flower:

pinupdancer
December 18th, 2011, 12:04 PM
I had major shedding when I tried CO. I even tried several different brands and none of it made a difference. Once I went back to S/C it stopped. My hair/scalp just didn't like it.

Darkessa
December 18th, 2011, 12:27 PM
Wen is probably the MOST amazing product I personally have ever used. It is incredible.
I can honestly say it does exactly what it claims to do. I dont use it now after one bottle simply because its just so damn expensive.
If you have the money, I HIGHLY recommend it.

ellisbell
December 18th, 2011, 12:35 PM
I also want to add that I think there is difference in using a cleansing conditioner and co-washing. I too have found my hair does not necessarily like only using CO (no shedding it just didn't look as good) but a cleansing conditioner like my deva no poo works wonders.

I am wondering if any of the people who experienced shedding used a cleansing conditioner? Because I have not seen any reports of that from threads on them.