PDA

View Full Version : Natural hair rat and fully rolled sockbun?

Gnomentum
December 18th, 2011, 07:56 AM
..OK, so I decided to turn my major postpartum shed from a negative to a positive, and I've been collecting the shed hair to make a natural hair rat. Only about five weeks in and I think I have enough to do it; I'll be waiting another week or two, though, because I don't think I can justify hours with my hands in soap and water this close to christmas!

Thing is, I like my sock buns to be fully rolled, like the ones in Loepsie's Youtube tutorial. And I suspect a donut made from felted hair won't roll like one made from a sock or synthetic mesh. Am I right, does anyone know?

As an alternative, I'm considering making a sausage-shaped rat, and running a ribbon (at least 3/4" wide) through it, so I can roll my hair onto the rat and then tie it into a donut shape once it's rolled. Any thoughts on whether that would work?

Egana
December 18th, 2011, 03:42 PM
seems like it should - take photos and let us know how it turns out?

KatyS
December 19th, 2011, 01:28 PM
Eh??!!!!
What on earth is a hair rat?

Excuse the bluntness :p

CrunchyMama
December 19th, 2011, 01:43 PM
Eh??!!!!
What on earth is a hair rat?

Excuse the bluntness :p

What she said! I'm intrigued, too!

WaterMusic
December 19th, 2011, 04:37 PM
Ask and ye shall receive! I give you, the hair rat (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=208).

To address the OP, I don't know if it will roll properly. Your sausage idea is brilliant, you might have to go with that. Do report back, I am also thinking of doing this.

CrunchyMama
December 19th, 2011, 05:56 PM
Ask and ye shall receive! I give you, the hair rat (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=208).

To address the OP, I don't know if it will roll properly. Your sausage idea is brilliant, you might have to go with that. Do report back, I am also thinking of doing this.

Thank WaterMusic! Verrrrry interesting!

Gnomentum
December 20th, 2011, 02:11 AM
Thankyou everyone for your thoughts, and thankyou to WaterMusic for explaining while I was still asleep!

Mommyof4
December 20th, 2011, 03:21 AM
Cool idea :) I didn't know what a hair rat was..

Shebelina
December 20th, 2011, 03:35 AM
I've seen people make a sausage shape and use it like a bumpit. I've never tried it myself, but it seems like a much more natural and un-damaging way to create a pouf. Back combing/teezing makes me cringe.

QMacrocarpa
February 2nd, 2012, 06:59 AM
Sorry I missed this earlier, but I'll chime in now! No, a felted donut-shaped bun rat will not work for the fully-rolled sock bun. I made one in the fall, and have only used it once or so. One issue for me is that because it's not stretchy, and I made it not much bigger than my ponytail circumference, it's just rather difficult to get it in place over my hair. Maybe a topsy-tail would help. It did make an exuberant wad of bun!

My hair is grippy rather than slippy, and the felting process took me very little time, just 5 or 10 minutes I think.

littleizz
February 2nd, 2012, 07:04 AM
Someone here HAS made a perfect donut rat out of natural hair because I saw it in their albums. I don't believe it would work for the rolled sock bun vs. wrapped sock bun, but a donut rat is possible!!

ETC: Nevermind, I just realized that was the link posted above... silly me :rolleyes:

Gnomentum
February 2nd, 2012, 10:43 AM
No, a felted donut-shaped bun rat will not work for the fully-rolled sock bun. I made one in the fall, and have only used it once or so. One issue for me is that because it's not stretchy, and I made it not much bigger than my ponytail circumference, it's just rather difficult to get it in place over my hair. Maybe a topsy-tail would help. It did make an exuberant wad of bun!

Do you think it would be bendy enough to make into a sausage and curl round, tied with a ribbon running through it? Thankyou for your input!