PDA

View Full Version : Do you prefer your hair to LOOK better, or to FEEL better?

jacqueline101
December 18th, 2011, 07:03 AM
I want mine to look and feel good the total package.

Hotrox
December 18th, 2011, 07:20 AM
It's a good question! I want it to be healthy and feel good but I'm also vain and want it to look good. If I know my hair looks bad then I'll feel bad in myself too that day so I'm choosing look good :-)

Aeris
December 18th, 2011, 08:20 AM
Both would be great, but if I had to pick, I'd say look better. It is easier to me to make it feel better, since I know what I'd need to do if it's dry, for example. But if it feels amazing and looks terrible, I wouldn't be as confident. A lot more people look at my hair than touch it.

ETA: And I only mean this for when I'm trying to look nice for church or class or something. If I'm just running to the grocery store and it's a little oily, I certainly don't mind enough to wash it. I guess I try to prioritize depending on the situation.

jaine
December 18th, 2011, 08:22 AM
I'm definitely more concerned about how it feels that how it looks....I like my hair best when it feels tangle-free, easy to brush, smooth, and soft - but not so soft that it's stretchy. And I want the ends to feel fresh - as soon as I can feel each individual tip of hair I start to get OCD about cutting it.

This might all go out the window now that I'm doing the Curly Girl method more often though ... I'm not technically supposed to run my hands through it when it's curly.

Darkessa
December 18th, 2011, 08:26 AM
As long as my hair FEELS ridiculously soft, I dont mind what it looks like. Im all about softness, smoothness and strength with my hair.
But I do find that when it simply feels better, it looks healthier and shinier... So I guess for me they go hand in hand. :D

Carissamarie08
December 18th, 2011, 08:29 AM
look and feel!

Amber_Maiden
December 18th, 2011, 08:43 AM
How it feels. :)

Mina17
December 18th, 2011, 08:45 AM
Yes, I'd like both too. But if I had to choose I'd want it to look good. I love soft hair but I could do without it in favor of hair that looked better.

kitschy
December 18th, 2011, 08:49 AM
Definitely feel better.

Yame
December 18th, 2011, 09:05 AM
Feel better... unless I am performing or going to a photoshoot, in which case what matters most is how it looks.

But usually, when it looks good it feels good, or vice versa.

Mayflower
December 18th, 2011, 09:19 AM
It usually goes hand in hand, but I prefer good looking hair. Because my hair is coarse, it doesn't always feel super soft but it does feel strong and has a lot of volume. When I haven't washed my hair in say 3 or 4 days or if I have a decent amount of coconut oil in it, it feels incredibly soft but it looks flat.

rags
December 18th, 2011, 09:49 AM
They usually go together for me - unless I haven't bothered to wash, when my baby fine hair plaster down and I sport the "drowned rodent' look. :rolleyes: But if I had to pick I'd say look better.

PriscillaCherel
December 18th, 2011, 09:54 AM
My hair really needs to feel good.. I want soft hair... But when I have a day I want to look good.. my hair needs to be look good en feel good.

ravenreed
December 18th, 2011, 10:18 AM
I really need a combination of both. If my hair doesn't look good, I don't want to keep it. If it doesn't feel good, I have the same problem and that also means that it will be more tangly and difficult to manage.

serin blackwood
December 18th, 2011, 11:07 AM
My hair never looks OR feels good to my mind... and I'm trying to figure out how to change it. But the more I read, the more confusing it gets.
This thread for instance... if your hair feels good, ie. soft, moisturized, silky etc., shouldn't it also look soft, moisturized, silky etc???

Do most of you have one but not the other, at any given time?

almond
December 18th, 2011, 11:15 AM
When my hair doesn't feel good - tangled, dry or greasy... - I'm sure it doesn't look good either.
I can take photos of my hair, but since I never know how it really looks like, I found it more important how it feels.

Arctic
December 18th, 2011, 11:42 AM
Feel is more important to me.

BeatlesFanGirl
December 18th, 2011, 11:50 AM
Look is more important to me, even if I like soft hair. If it looks awesome but feels not that good - I'm fine. If it feels good and soft but looks bad - I'm not fine.
I've used Alterra volume shampoo that really gives some volume - but makes my hair feel a bit sticky and harder to comb. :/

spidermom
December 18th, 2011, 12:09 PM
I'd have to say feel because I wear it up most of the time, and it looks "meh".

isabelx
December 18th, 2011, 12:09 PM
Definitely feel better. Although when it usually feels better, it looks good, and when it feels bad, it looks bad.

oktobergoud
December 18th, 2011, 12:12 PM
I think both! I can't stand it when my hair feels dry, but since it's fine it does look a lot better when it's more dry. More volume and stuff. So I like to go between (and just heavy oil it the night before washing and apply a tiny bit of leave-in/oil in the very ends every day).

If my hair would be longer, it would be different I guess. But since my hair is still so short, I find it really important how it looks. (I can't simply put it up, can't even make a pony!) I don't want to look like I'm wearing a helmet instead of hair :P

Arctic
December 18th, 2011, 12:13 PM
My hair never looks OR feels good to my mind... and I'm trying to figure out how to change it. But the more I read, the more confusing it gets.
This thread for instance... if your hair feels good, ie. soft, moisturized, silky etc., shouldn't it also look soft, moisturized, silky etc???

Speaking only for myself, before I cut my hair I had grown it to almost BSL, but it felt horrible to me. It looked great in photos though, and even in real life.

Turned out I had bad protein overload and problematic water, and it took ages for me to pin point the problems and fix them.

Not only that, but I have trichotillomania, and the coarse feeling hairs are one of my triggers. So when I reply feel is more important, I really am saying if it feels horrible to touch I am in danger to pull my hair out :(

I used to, not many years ago, had fine hair which has turned into more coarse and it has been difficult for me to get used to the new hair, as it feels so very different than my old hair.

Other than that: From what I have read, over moisturised hair can feel amazing but look like dry crap, so it's possible to have just the other.

tori93
December 18th, 2011, 12:27 PM
definately prefer it to feel better. Even if it looks perfect if it feels dry or weighed down I can't stand it!

Quixii
December 18th, 2011, 01:02 PM
Obviously both is ideal. However, if I had to pick one, I'd say look better, because there are a far greater number of people who will see my people than will feel it.

Egana
December 18th, 2011, 03:03 PM
ok - i think i may not be answering the question, but here's my answer...

I want to be able to enjoy touching it WHILE it is looking good! With my curls, I have to keep my hands off. The more I handle it dry, the more breakage and splits I have. It normally looks good, but I don't get to feel it...

chelles2kids
December 18th, 2011, 03:09 PM
Defiantely "Feel" better.
Doesn't matter to me what it looks like as long as it's healthy.:shrug:

einna
December 18th, 2011, 04:25 PM
I would take a combo ;) A compromise!

LaceyNg
December 18th, 2011, 04:32 PM

i dunno why my 1st original post didnt show up....

my hair's pretty fine, but gets quite dry. so i moisturize and it FEELS great, but then i look in the mirror and it looks greasy. :/

i clarified today, and it did help a little, but now the underside of my hair where it gets the driest is back to being dryer. :justy:

i'm not quite sure what to do about it. DO most people have to pick one or the other, or am i just doing something wrong?

I think both! I can't stand it when my hair feels dry, but since it's fine it does look a lot better when it's more dry. More volume and stuff. So I like to go between (and just heavy oil it the night before washing and apply a tiny bit of leave-in/oil in the very ends every day).

If my hair would be longer, it would be different I guess. But since my hair is still so short, I find it really important how it looks. (I can't simply put it up, can't even make a pony!) I don't want to look like I'm wearing a helmet instead of hair :P

like this! thats what i mean!

ericthegreat
December 18th, 2011, 07:48 PM
I don't think the two are mutually exclusive. For me, and clearly a lot of other people as I've seen reading thro the other responses on this thread, feeling good goes hand in hand with looking good.
When I can feel how soft, flexible and silky it is after say I just washed out a good conditioner from my hair, I know its well moisturized and in a healthy state. I also know that when my hair is in such a wonderful condition, I can look into any mirror and a sea of shiny silk will grace my eyes with its presence.

dwell_in_safety
December 18th, 2011, 07:55 PM
Feel. I've been putting it up every day, which masks bad-looking days, and if I know it feels soft, I'm OK with that.

Hollyfire3
December 18th, 2011, 08:24 PM
I would want it to feel better. I would rather have thick feeling hair that needs a trim then thick looking hair that is not thick. I guess that comes from having thick hair that has been messed up for months and only feels good on certain days but i can always count on it looking good, even if it feels crunchy and dry. Of course, i want both ultimatly but right now, i will take what i can get.

honeyblonde
December 18th, 2011, 09:10 PM
When my hair feels better, it always looks better! So...feel better.

cubiczoeconia
December 18th, 2011, 09:44 PM
Maybe I'm vain, but the whole point of trying to get your hair to feel better is to ultimately make it look better, right? I would love both, but faced with the question, looking better would be my choice.

Dars
December 18th, 2011, 09:51 PM
Of course both but I'd always take health over length (looks). However, after being here for nearly 3 years my hair feels pretty darn good! Perhaps I'll go with look better! :)

Ravenwind
December 18th, 2011, 10:06 PM
I would love both, but I would prefer my hair to feel better. I have layers that are extremely dry at the ends from straightening all the time a couple years back, and wish that it could be shiny and smooth like my hair underneath the layers. If my hair looks bad, I can just put it up :)

Kerin
December 18th, 2011, 10:10 PM
If my hair looks good, I automatically feel good and confident.

(spam link removed-moderation)

princessp
December 18th, 2011, 10:19 PM
Both, but if we are just choosing one I'll chose feeling better.

Impulsive
December 19th, 2011, 01:21 AM
Hmm... If we're just talking about feeling oily or dry, then I'd prefer for my hair to look better since it's rare for anyone but me to touch my hair. If we're talking about the hair feeling sticky or full of product, then I'd prefer it to feel better, because I can't stand hair that feels sticky and I can always put a hat over hair that looks bad. Of course, in an ideal world, I'd happily take both.

Fethenwen
December 19th, 2011, 01:31 AM
I'd go for feel. I love it when my hair is soft and moisturised and my ends are all smooth. Often that gives better looking hair too, if it is not over-moisturised and becomes stringy and lank.

Hair that is a little more unruly and has volume looks nice, especially if it has a dread or two in it. But I prefer that look on other people :) I rather have my own hair smooth and shiny, thanks.

Lissandria
December 19th, 2011, 02:34 AM
Both are optimal. I still have to go with feeling better as my preference though- If my hair looks crap which is 80% of the time anyway I just put on a hat/tie it up. If it feels bad in anyway I freak out and try and "solve" my hairproblem etc.

zombi
December 19th, 2011, 04:18 AM
Choosing just one I'll be vain and say: look better.

I don't want my hair to feel awesome but look like crap. That just won't work for me. One of the reasons I like long hair is because I like how it LOOKS.... and if it looks bad, I might as well not have it!

|Xei
December 19th, 2011, 05:11 AM
Generally, if my hair feels awesome, then it also looks awesome.
But in the case that if my hair feels awesome, then it'll looks terrible, then I think I'd rather have it look better.

nobeltonya
December 19th, 2011, 05:25 AM
both, ideally. I want it to look smooth and healthy, and not feel like straw and dry.

boofles
December 19th, 2011, 05:27 AM
As important as it is to me that my hair looks great, I won't do anything that makes it feel worse, such as hairspray!

kanaka
December 19th, 2011, 05:49 AM
I can say both but I give more importance to looks ;)

MonaMayfair
December 19th, 2011, 05:54 AM
Looks, every time!

Pierre
December 19th, 2011, 06:27 AM
Feel. I'm always stroking my hair; it's a stim.

LaceyNg
December 22nd, 2011, 09:14 PM
Maybe I'm vain, but the whole point of trying to get your hair to feel better is to ultimately make it look better, right? I would love both, but faced with the question, looking better would be my choice.

yeah, i see your point. so i'm thinking now i need to change something to make my hair LOOK better, even if it means that my hair isnt as soft as it could be. b/c my desire for long hair is completely for vanity's sake...

As important as it is to me that my hair looks great, I won't do anything that makes it feel worse, such as hairspray!

and then i read this, and it makes so much sense to me too!

i'm so torn!
i guess maybe my problem is that i just havent found the right poo bar yet :/

tinfoilsally
December 22nd, 2011, 10:05 PM
I cannot STAND when my hair feels bad. I tried a new conditioner the other week and I guess that either the 'cones in it did something extremely funky (I'm usually cone free, but I was out of my usual conditioner) or it was just a bad batch, but it made my hair feel so sticky and heavy and disgusting, it was awful. I was tweaking until I washed it out again.

As far as looking bad goes- as someone who has just traversed the great Mulletty Wilderness that lies on the path from Pixieland to Shoulder City- I have learnt to deal with it.
However, obviously, my ultimate goal is to have healthy AND pretty long hair. I just put 'feel' before 'looks' in the meantime.

Mearwynna
December 22nd, 2011, 10:25 PM
I think it's feeling for me. I know I'm not happy unless it feels like it's in good condition, looks are not that important with me. I think that comes with having a harder to like hair color, or maybe I'm just pragmatic.

beautifulending
December 22nd, 2011, 11:37 PM
I perfer it to feel better because most of the time when it feels better it will look better too but thats just what I think. haha :D

honeydippedxo
December 23rd, 2011, 12:13 AM
I do want the total package, I mean who wouldn't want that? I defiantly need my hair to be healthy or I'm unhappy but I have to say when my hair feels it's best [super soft) I don't really like the way it looks or behaves as much. But then when it's looking bomb diggityyyy...it doesn't feel so soft. So as long as my hair is healthy I'd choose looks over feel.

Colourful
December 23rd, 2011, 10:07 AM
If I have to choose between those 2 options I would choose it to feel better because if it feels good it just has to look good as well. :)

BrightEyes
December 23rd, 2011, 10:09 AM
I'd like both, although if I had to choose I'd prefer it to look better.

Regan
December 23rd, 2011, 10:14 AM
I want both! If I had to choose - I'd choose look over feel. I'm such a sucker for soft hair, though! I hate it when mine isn't soft >:'(