View Full Version : Braided buns: Do you tie off the braid before you bun?

pepperminttea
December 18th, 2011, 04:37 AM
I always do. It'd probably be slightly less damaging if I didn't tie it off, but I always do to keep things secure, and so at the end of the day I can take down the bun and have a ready-made sleep braid. :D

What about you? :)

Jemoiselle
December 18th, 2011, 04:41 AM
Definitely! My hair is so slippery it wouldn't hold if I didn't tie it off, especially at this length! If we tie gently, with gentle products like the seamless bands, I don't see it causing a problem, at least not any more than having to constantly re-twist a bun over and over all day! :D

t_ballet26
December 18th, 2011, 04:56 AM
yes, I have to tie my braid off

skyblue
December 18th, 2011, 05:21 AM
No not usually, only a few days after wash day, my hair is very slippery and nothing stays up hehehe! After that then I won't need to tie it off

QMacrocarpa
December 18th, 2011, 07:49 AM
I said never, but I do tie off sleep braids, which is my usual sleep style. I guess my reason for not tying off braids before bunning has more to do with not being skilled at keeping the elastic hidden and not liking it when it peeks out. The lessened wear-and-tear on my ends is just a tiny bonus. Even without an elastic my braided buns mostly stay put, since my hair is pretty grippy.

Gumball
December 18th, 2011, 08:04 AM
I always tie it off. The tie is quite loose, and only serves so that the very end of the braid doesn't try to undo itself. If I let the braid hang loose with how I tie it for a bun, the tie would fall right off. Usually it's almost fallen off by the time it's bunned anyway. It serves as my extra set of hands more or less.

Come to think of it, I've had a tie fall off while inside the bun, but since everything was pinned up then, I was no worse for wear.

Nordlilja
December 18th, 2011, 08:16 AM
No hairties in my braided buns - they are firmly in place with a two-prong fork. I can wear a braid to work without hairties as well, since the curls make it stay.

raveness13
December 18th, 2011, 10:33 AM
I have to tie off my braid, otherwise it unravels, and my bun falls down.

Darkessa
December 18th, 2011, 12:30 PM
I dont usually bun my braid, primarily because my hair is too short. BUT if I could bun it... I would probably tie it off yes. For security reasons. Haha

spidermom
December 18th, 2011, 12:45 PM
I mostly do; it depends on how handy a hair tie is at the time.

almond
December 18th, 2011, 12:53 PM
I do most of the time. On washing day or the second day my hair is very slippery, so I need to tie the braid off. Actually I would need it later on too, but my bun is small and I can't seem to be able to hide the elastics properly, even if they are thin.

Juneii
December 18th, 2011, 12:56 PM
huh, I never thought to do other wise... maybe I'll try this next time :)

Lostsoule77
December 18th, 2011, 01:03 PM
I voted only occasionally, but then thought about it. My ends are somewhere in between being blunt and fairy tail. I do tie off the end of the braid while making the bun, but slide the tie off once I've wrapped my hair to that point. Then I just tuck in the ends and if I put my hair stick(s) in right the bun stays that way. The only braids I tend to keep the tie on for is rope braids because those just unravel themselves so easily.

So I actually do tie it off every time, I just don't keep it tied off. I hope that makes sense.

Henrietta
December 18th, 2011, 01:11 PM
I always do! I cannot imagine making a bun without securing the braid first. It would fall down after 10 minutes probably :D

Nannanej
December 18th, 2011, 01:38 PM
I usually do, but only with those tiny clear hair elastics (the ones you can get like 200 of for very cheap, you know?) .. Those are really great, since they take up almost no space and are clear or (like mine) shades of light brown or other hair colors. There is pretty much no chance they'll show.

Metallia
December 18th, 2011, 06:00 PM
If we tie gently, with gentle products like the seamless bands, I don't see it causing a problem, at least not any more than having to constantly re-twist a bun over and over all day! :D
This! Once by bun goes, it seems to fall out the rest of the day, and I'm *constantly* messing with it. I'd rather have it extra secure to start with.

clairenewcastle
December 18th, 2011, 06:05 PM
I'm wearing a braided bun as I type this - tied with a hair tie. It's the only way to ensure it's not going to slip.

Lissandria
December 19th, 2011, 02:32 AM
I don't have hair long/thick enough to secure if that makes sense! Every tidbit of my braid counts towards the 'do, including the tassel, so the answer is no. This may change when I have more of a long rope of hair to work with so to speak.

fridgee
December 19th, 2011, 01:09 PM
I answered most of the time, but it will be less and less. Before it wasn't long enough to bun the braid without it falling out. Now its long enough to wrap it round and tuck the ends under, rather than the ends being part of the bulk of the bun :D so that helps hold the whole thing together. I prefer it without the hair band because I don't have to hide it (usually poorly!)

Cirafly24
December 19th, 2011, 05:12 PM
Yes, I use either a little terry cloth elastic, or one of those tiny clear elastics. Keeps the braid from unraveling itself.

Loreley
December 19th, 2011, 10:27 PM
Most of the time. Otherwise it just unbraids itself. :D

vampodrama
December 20th, 2011, 02:22 AM
Securing the braid is a must-have for me. An untied braid unravels almost completely in 7 seconds - yes, I timed it once :D

GeoJ
December 20th, 2011, 07:34 PM
No, not often. The only time I will tie off my braid before bunning is if I think my bun is at risk of falling down, or I know I will need to take it down for some reason, and I don't want my braid to then come unravelled.

RitaPG
December 20th, 2011, 07:57 PM
Yes, always. My hair is too slippery, the braid would be undone in a matter of seconds if I didn't tie it off :p

catamonica
December 23rd, 2011, 02:05 PM
I just use a bobby pin or two to pin near then end.m It stays.

jojo
December 23rd, 2011, 02:25 PM
I don't tie mine, I just seal the end with a bit of oil and it secures it for me, but I cannot do braid buns until day 2 or the whole braid just slips out!

Stagecoach
December 23rd, 2011, 02:28 PM
I always do tie my braids.

catamonica
December 23rd, 2011, 02:29 PM
I just use a bobby pin or two to pin near the end. It stays. Sorry about the first post . Poor typing.

tuanyiji
October 24th, 2022, 10:53 AM
I don’t see the point of tying the ends when I can use the pull-over method, also the ends will be tucked to the base of the bun anyway. If I use multiple rope braids and my teeth aren’t available, I will fix it with bobby pins at some point and then take the pins down. I try to do one-stick bun most of the time.

shelomit
October 24th, 2022, 11:09 AM
I tie it off and then take the elastic off of the braid before I tuck in the ends of the bun. Otherwise, in the process of bunning, a good portion of the bottom of the braid will come undone.

vampyyri
October 24th, 2022, 12:00 PM
My hair is a little short for it now, but when I was able to I used to tie off my braid loosely before bunning. Sometimes I could get away with not doing it if my hair isn't freshly washed.

GoatLady
October 24th, 2022, 02:28 PM
Yes, I always tie the ends, or my hair won't stay braided.

foreveryours
October 24th, 2022, 02:54 PM
No. I braid all the way to the ends as my fingers will allow. Taking hair down for the night, only a half a foot has come undone which is good enough for me.

lapis_lazuli
October 24th, 2022, 03:07 PM
Yes, I have to, otherwise it'll fall apart. The back-braid then pull through method might work to secure it, but I don't do enough braided updos to really test it out.

bokeh
October 24th, 2022, 05:43 PM
I rarely tie off a braid these days especially if I'm going to bun it. When I take down the bun at night the braid is ready to tuck into my sleep cap and survives the night without any issues.

MusicalSpoons
October 26th, 2022, 09:40 PM
Yes, with a ribbon to avoid damage.

That said, if I were purposely doing a braided bun to keep it like that, I guess I could get away with not tying it off. The ends are so thin that unravelled or not will make no difference to securing a bun. But I usually only wear a braided bun to the dentist, when I'll take it down and then rebun afterwards, or before doing a scalp wash in the shower, when it's useful to keep the ends together still.

Mlarmour
October 27th, 2022, 02:08 PM
Yes, I always tie off a braid. They come undone so easily for me.

Fiorentina
November 7th, 2022, 12:05 AM
No, only occasionally.