PDA

View Full Version : Need advice-cheating on hairstylist

kellysmum
December 17th, 2011, 05:36 PM
Hi, I hope someone can help me. I have been seeing the same hairstylist on and off for several years now. She is an excellent colorist, but cannot cut my hair to save her life. Even the other hair stylists say she's not doing it correctly. I want spiky hair on top, so it needs to be texturized with a razor. I have asked her to use the razor, but if she does, she immediately follows it with scissors and removes any of the texturizing I need. Since September, I have had her cut it ten times, and each time it's not right.

Finally, yesterday, I went to one of those walk-in hair places and requested that my hair be texturized. The stylist took about ten minutes using a razor, and now my hair is perfect FINALLY. I would like to continue to have my hair cut (monthly) by the stylist at the walk-in place, but since I have my hair colored monthly by my regular stylist, how do I explain to my regular stylist that I do not wish her to cut it without hurting her feelings? What should I do?

thelittlestdoc
December 17th, 2011, 05:51 PM
With the tough economic situation, most stylists are grateful for any business you can send their way. Explain to your colorist that you're having your hair cut by a friend for free (or say you're going to the walk-in place for cheap) and that you're still happy to shell out the big bucks for her to color.

Honestly, she'll probably just be happy to keep your coloring business.

Amber_Maiden
December 17th, 2011, 05:56 PM
It's your stylist, not your best friend. Stop going to see her and make the 10min stylist you saw your new to-go hair stylist who you see. If you do happen to see your old hair stylist, tell her you wanted a change-nothing personal.

But then again, you get your hair coloured with her... Maybe you'd like to try this new stylist and see how she does with colour? Who knows- she might do an amazing job! If you do see your old stylist for colour and she notices your hair, don't lie just say you like her for colour and "a friend" now cuts your hair.

jaine
December 17th, 2011, 05:57 PM
I don't think it really needs an explanation. If she asks, you can say whatever you want. If it were me I would probably just explain the same way you explained it above (if she asks about it...if she doesn't ask then there wouldn't be any point in bringing it up).

Coan-Teen
December 17th, 2011, 06:08 PM
Honestly, she probably will ask, even if simply as an avenue of conversation. I agree with the above posters. Just tell her you're having a friend cut your hair now. It shouldn't go beyond that and if it does, she's obviously not a professional.

UltraBella
December 17th, 2011, 08:07 PM
This is actually very common, so most stylists won't be surprised or offends by it. It's best to be honest with her.

julliams
December 18th, 2011, 12:15 AM
Do the cut first and then go for the colour. You won't want to have it cut again when you have just had it cut so there will be no way that you will cave in and let her cut it.

If she isn't big on cutting she will probably be relieved to just do what she does best.

jacqueline101
December 25th, 2011, 11:17 AM
I had to economize the first time I gave up my home salon. I went to one and when I wanted a trim and got a whole new do. Then I went to another place and got what I wanted. Its your hair why be unhappy we have to wear the stylist botched results not them. Like it was said we're paying for a service and the economy is so bad stylist are struggling. It means we aren't paying money for luxuries like we used to. In order for them to make ends meet they have to work harder. I'd cut then color and make sure she under stands you and is listening.

anikadear
December 25th, 2011, 12:03 PM
I don't think you owe any explanation really. When I couldn't afford to go to my stylist anymore I just stopped making appointments. I learned to do my own hair and I've actually ran into her several times since then and she never has asked why she hasn't seen me in years.