PDA

View Full Version : How do you answer "Is it yours?" when people see your long hair.

Beckstar
December 17th, 2011, 03:10 PM
I want to come up with a witty reply.

"No, it's made up of random hairs I found on the bathroom floor at work. I had to collect them, brush, dye, and than perm it to match mine own."

jacqueline101
December 17th, 2011, 03:17 PM
Nope I thought it was yours.

Hollyfire3
December 17th, 2011, 03:19 PM
Have never been asked this, how long was your hair before people started asking this?

Amber_Maiden
December 17th, 2011, 03:23 PM
Do I look like the sort of person who would glue or clip in extensions to my head? *with raised eyebrows* and act super insulted.

Avital88
December 17th, 2011, 03:28 PM
no my mum gave it to me some years ago , i guess it was ... (insert year of birth)

Madora
December 17th, 2011, 03:28 PM
I smile and say "Yes, it is! It's been growing for "X" years".

princessp
December 17th, 2011, 03:32 PM
I've never been asked but, I'd probably just answer yes.

spidermom
December 17th, 2011, 04:04 PM
I've never been asked, but I'd be tempted to say something like "no; I'm just carrying it for a friend."

lapushka
December 17th, 2011, 04:05 PM
I was once asked this. Pick up one *very* tiny piece of your hair and say, "It's all mine, except this bit isn't." Watch as the confusion kicks in.

Blond On Blond
December 17th, 2011, 04:15 PM
If it's a woman, look at her boobs and ask "Are they yours"?

thelittlestdoc
December 17th, 2011, 04:52 PM
I never really know how to respond to this, either. I don't consider my hair very long (between BSL and Waist), so it baffles me that anyone would think it was extensions. People are too lazy to grow to BSL?

Suggestions:

"Nope, it's your mom's chest hair!" a la Mean Girls
"Yes, I got it in insert birth year here."

Piyo
December 17th, 2011, 05:28 PM
I've never been asked, and never before did I ever suspect long hair could be fake until I started working in downtown Chicago, and seeing many women with extensions or wigs. Usually coworkers, or women coming into the fitting room and suddenly their hair is gone!

Makes me wonder how many people think my hair is fake. =/ Though, I don't think it looks nice enough to be fake! :P

Kristin
December 17th, 2011, 05:33 PM
People ask me this all the time. I usually stare incredulously for a few seconds and say something like, "Why would I pay for hair when it grows out of my head like this?"

julliams
December 17th, 2011, 05:33 PM
I've honestly never been asked this question. Maybe extensions are less common where I'm from??? I don't know.

scotty810
December 17th, 2011, 05:35 PM
well since guys don't get extensions then people seem to know it's my hair

so nope never been asked.

Quezie
December 17th, 2011, 06:19 PM
I'd just answer with yes, I don't think it's necessary to make someone feel stupid when they're probably just answering an honest question. Unless they were being snobby.

Torrin Paige
December 17th, 2011, 06:30 PM
I live in a place where a lot of gals get extensions, so I have been asked quite a few times if it's mine, or even better, "Girl, who does your extensions? They're amazing!" I just take it as a compliment and let them know that it's all mine. Then they usually ask for tips. :)

NymphSpirit
December 17th, 2011, 06:38 PM
I never really know how to respond to this, either. I don't consider my hair very long (between BSL and Waist), so it baffles me that anyone would think it was extensions. People are too lazy to grow to BSL?

Suggestions:

HAHA the mean girls reference is brilliant!!

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/24393_110446558974901_110445722308318_183702_34237 4_n.jpg

daniew0708
December 17th, 2011, 06:47 PM
I've never been asked, but I'd be tempted to say something like "no; I'm just carrying it for a friend."

I will definently use this when it is someone being snotty.

Mommyof4
December 17th, 2011, 06:47 PM
I'd just answer with yes, I don't think it's necessary to make someone feel stupid when they're probably just answering an honest question. Unless they were being snobby.

I agree :) When my hair gets long again, I wouldn't take offense to the question.. it is probably just that they are looking at amazing hair, so if I was asked, I would take it as a compliment :)

BTW, Your color is simply GORGEOUS!!

Aliped
December 17th, 2011, 06:58 PM
I wish it was mine! But Angelina Jolie (insert famous beauty with a similar hair color) called and she needs it next week *shrug*

Kat
December 17th, 2011, 07:23 PM

Love it! I think I'm just going to deadpan, "No, I'm just holding it for somebody" and then walk away and let them chew on it for a while.

(The only other good option I had come up with was to say "uh... yeah?" in a totally confused voice, like you might if they asked "so that arm, is that yours?" like I'm wondering why they'd even ask that... hoping they'd figure out it was a bloody stupid question).

Or maybe I should just answer, "why, are you hoping I'll give it to you if it's not?"

I don't know why people ask me, either. Do they really make knee-length extensions??? I have never seen a wig longer than about waist-length.

I have no qualms about a snotty answer. Why would you ask someone that question? At best, it's dumb (for me it's always an incredulous "is that all your hair???" What does it matter to you?). At worst, it's rude. That to me is one of those questions right up there with "how old are you?" or "how many times a day do you brush your teeth?" (too personal) or "do you dye your hair?" (implying a person couldn't possibly be attractive just on their own and must do something "unnatural" to get that way).

Dragon Faery
December 17th, 2011, 07:23 PM
Haven't been asked. But I'd probably say my grandma gave it to me. :)

KwaveT
December 17th, 2011, 07:29 PM
I don't think most people are being mean when they ask this. They are just naturally curious. I don't get asked with my hair but I do get asked with my fingernails all the time. Nails on my right hand are almost 3/4 an inch long. My nails definitely get noticed. They usually ask how I grow them and what I do to them? Ask are they mine (natural nails)? I get complemented in the process many times. It is all natural curiosity. I am not going to insult others over it. I would treat hair the same way when it gets long. Others aren't use to seeing men grow such nice long nails so I definitely get my share of inquiries.

Jezerellica
December 17th, 2011, 07:32 PM
I have been asked this, and was so surprised since I don't think the quality is there. Anyway, my response came quick and was, "Yes, extensions would look much better than this mess, and while we're on the subject, my lashes are real and everything else on my body is too". He laughed and said, "Well, it looks expensive". Men. Weird.

Chromis
December 17th, 2011, 07:35 PM

I do this as well. If I am feeling cheerfully spiteful, I then go on to tell them all about my hair's history. Like Madora, I started from bald. Lemme tell ya folks, I can ramble like none other. Midway through their eyes glaze riiiiight over. Unfortunately for them, that's just me getting warmed up. I find this far more effective than snarky answers I've tried and quite a lot of fun (for me at least :lol: )

anikadear
December 17th, 2011, 10:21 PM
I get asked all the time because apparently nobody has ever seen a Black woman have BSL hair or longer when I was younger, that is actually theirs. And it's never been a curious way of asking, for me it's usually other Black women with a fairly bad attitude who reply with "yeah right" when I say my hair is actually all mine. Or I've gotten "your weave is really nice! Can I touch it?" No, but thanks and it's not a weave. Now the White women are always just amazed, not in a snobby way. They see my kids and think nothing of it( one daughter is Black and white, the other is Hispanic and Black,both with different textured curly hair).

trolleypup
December 17th, 2011, 10:26 PM
well since guys don't get extensions then people seem to know it's my hair

so nope never been asked.
I get asked from time to time. *shrug* One of the downsides of the acceptance of diversity here is that people wouldn't blink at men with extensions.

Usually this. It is like people who say "Your hair is long!"

(The only other good option I had come up with was to say "uh... yeah?" in a totally confused voice, like you might if they asked "so that arm, is that yours?" like I'm wondering why they'd even ask that... hoping they'd figure out it was a bloody stupid question).
I say this from time to time also.

When it is particularly nasty, I'll say that I would hope that I would buy better extensions.

piffyanne
December 18th, 2011, 12:33 AM
I guess you could come back with "yes, it's all mine; I've been growing it out so >insert celebrity with similar hair color< doesn't have to put in the time and the effort to look as gorgeous as I do RIGHT NOW" and walk away.

I'd probably nod and smile, though. It all depends on the way they ask. . . :eek:

vampodrama
December 18th, 2011, 01:11 AM
I'm all about giving stupid answers to stupid questions....

So in that particular case I would say something like "Nah, I kinda borrow it from my friend from time to time..."

Although there is a possibility that even this would be read the wrong way, as hair extensions are extremely popular in Estonia. Although I have never ever seen henna red extensions - they seem to come only in bleach blonde and jet black :D

Apriori
December 18th, 2011, 01:40 AM

Suggestions:

Apparently they are. Around here I see so many girls with shoulder lenght hair and clip on extensions to BSL. It baffles me everytime. Especially because some of them have been using the extensions for years.

pepperminttea
December 18th, 2011, 01:56 AM
Do I look like the sort of person who would glue or clip in extensions to my head? *with raised eyebrows* and act super insulted.

This is normally what I do. I don't exactly look like your stereotypical extensions wearer. Somewhere in the 'Dumbest hair comments' thread there was a great response to hair comments in general - "Thanks, I made it myself." You could adapt that to "No, I made it myself." :D

longhairedleah
December 18th, 2011, 07:21 AM
i love the mean girls reference too!

but my immediate thought is an Amy Winehouse quote. Doesn't reaaaaally apply here, but when someone in an interview asked her if her beehive was really hers, she responded

"well, I payed for it, so it's mine isn't it?"

quite witty I thought :)

beccababesx
December 18th, 2011, 07:43 AM
I get this a LOT, probably because I wear a lot of makeup, heels etc so people assume it'll be clip in extensions. I just take it as a compliment - too good to be true (!) and smile and say yes it is, thank you!! They don't usually mean to be mean I don't think.

PriscillaCherel
December 18th, 2011, 07:54 AM
I just laugh:) Because when i say yes they are saying: Reallyy????

lacefrost
December 18th, 2011, 09:56 AM
I usually get asked, "Is that all your hair?"
So I say, "Yes, it is."
Sometimes they say, "Are you sure?"
So I say, "I would know. I grew it."

jojo
December 18th, 2011, 09:58 AM
Ive been asked this once followed by a tug and then last night was "told" great extensions where did you get them from? nowhere i grew them!

PraiseCheeses
December 18th, 2011, 10:44 AM
Perhaps it's just because I haven't been asked, but I don't understand why it's an issue if someone asks if long hair is extensions. Extensions are common enough now that it's a logical conclusion to reach when faced with longer-than-normal hair, especially when it's beautiful well-kept LHC hair. I don't think a snappy answer is necessary; I'd just smile and say "Yes, it is all mine.". Same with the "Are you growing it to donate?" question. Many people do grow to donate - it's a valid assumption. I've been asked this several times now, and I haven't gotten any negativity when I tell them I'm growing it to keep for me. :)

Of course, the gloves come off if they're snotty about it - and heaven help them if they pull my hair to "check!" :mad: Jojo, I can't believe you didn't smack them! Didn't they learn "keep your hand to yourself" in kindergarten?:confused:

EdG
December 18th, 2011, 10:49 AM
"Is that real?" :confused:

"It hurts if one pulls it." :lol:

Ed

Lostsoule77
December 18th, 2011, 01:30 PM
I don't recall ever getting this question. I do tend to be too sarcastic, but I've been trying to tone that down a lot. I guess it depends on what kind of mood I'm in if they asked. They might get a simple yes or they could just as easily get a wise *ss response.

lindaton
December 18th, 2011, 07:38 PM
I was ask this twice today while shopping. Like a previous poster said, Do they actually make past knee length extensions? And if I had them would I have my hair pulled back in a pony tail? I have realized that I am going to have to start allowing more time when going shopping. I was stopped 5 times in one store today to talk about my hair. LOVE IT!!!

Maraz
December 18th, 2011, 07:45 PM
If I ever get asked that, I think I'll say, "Mine and the bank's" and wait for a confused surrender.

Quezie
December 20th, 2011, 12:43 AM
Perhaps it's just because I haven't been asked, but I don't understand why it's an issue if someone asks if long hair is extensions. Extensions are common enough now that it's a logical conclusion to reach when faced with longer-than-normal hair, especially when it's beautiful well-kept LHC hair. I don't think a snappy answer is necessary; I'd just smile and say "Yes, it is all mine.". Same with the "Are you growing it to donate?" question. Many people do grow to donate - it's a valid assumption. I've been asked this several times now, and I haven't gotten any negativity when I tell them I'm growing it to keep for me. :)

Of course, the gloves come off if they're snotty about it - and heaven help them if they pull my hair to "check!" :mad: Jojo, I can't believe you didn't smack them! Didn't they learn "keep your hand to yourself" in kindergarten?:confused:

Definitely a valid assumption. Some of the responses in here just seem hostile to a genuine question. :confused:

I agree :) When my hair gets long again, I wouldn't take offense to the question.. it is probably just that they are looking at amazing hair, so if I was asked, I would take it as a compliment :)

BTW, Your color is simply GORGEOUS!!

Thank you! I'm glad you agree. :)

DancingQueen
December 20th, 2011, 01:03 AM

I would do this if the person was being snotty :D But otherwise, just take it as a compliment, as they probably asked out of curiosity.

EmpressRi
December 20th, 2011, 01:14 AM
Nope, it's my husband's. I decided to give him the day off.

uptosomeone
December 20th, 2011, 06:14 PM

Were I to get this question I would answer this way. I feel like being sarcastically witty often makes people defensive, when most often they are just curious if you're one of the few people people patient enough to grow their hair long naturally rather than getting extensions. :)

Eboshi
December 20th, 2011, 06:21 PM
Were I to get this question I would answer this way. I feel like being sarcastically witty often makes people defensive, when most often they are just curious if you're one of the few people people patient enough to grow their hair long naturally rather than getting extensions. :)
I agree with this sentiment. I've been asked this many times and it has always been an "honest" question. Why answer genuine curiosity with rudeness? Don't we already have enough of that in this world?
:nono:

Regan
December 20th, 2011, 06:54 PM
lol, women just love an opportunity to be snarky, don't they? Anyway, I would just tell them yes, unless they were an ******* about it. If they were, I wouldn't even dignify it with a response. Trust me, blatantly ignoring someone stings way worse than a half-assed "witty" remark.

LadyLongLocks
December 20th, 2011, 07:44 PM
I never wear my hair down in public anymore but if I ever did and someone asked me I might answer: Yes, it's mine since they don't make extensions THIS long. ( do they?)

Fun topic by the way :)

Blond On Blond
December 20th, 2011, 08:31 PM
I would do this if the person was being snotty :D But otherwise, just take it as a compliment, as they probably asked out of curiosity.

Ha, just realized my comment definitely could pass as snarky while it was meant to be a joke ;) In fact I agree with you and PraiseCheeses. Some people on this board really need to relax their buttocks :D

Rocket22
December 20th, 2011, 08:36 PM
I totally agree if someone asked if it was yours is only a compliment or curious to find out where they can get some hair just like it :) If it looks so perfect that they think you paid for it is huge compliment in my book.

arc691
December 21st, 2011, 03:33 AM
I have been asked this question so many times! Usually I just smile and say "yes." Somehow doing that always makes me feel dumb, but I can't seem to help myself :p

Delila
December 21st, 2011, 08:32 AM
... You could adapt that to "No, I made it myself." :D

This is great!

When it is particularly nasty, I'll say that I would hope that I would buy better extensions.

Well put!

I do tend to just say, yes, it's mine. My own hair is really too wimpy to be used as extensions, probably wouldn't survive the process, so I'm not sure I understand why anyone would think otherwise.

ladyshep
December 21st, 2011, 02:06 PM
I've never been asked that question before and I have had long hair for a long time. I usually get, "Your hair is long!" I just smile at them and agree. A lot of men tell me that they love my hair. Some say all women should have long hair. I guess I'll just have to wait and see if anyone asks me the "is that yours" question.

Sagi1982
December 21st, 2011, 02:10 PM
Make a frightened face and cry "WHAT?! Long hair???? Where did this come from????" :cool:

Sagi1982
December 21st, 2011, 02:11 PM
I have been asked this question so many times! Usually I just smile and say "yes." Somehow doing that always makes me feel dumb, but I can't seem to help myself :p
Sorry double posting... *ahemm*

I would ask the same question, I think... your hair is just incredible long and beautiful. :D

Maktub
December 21st, 2011, 02:22 PM
I think it's a compliment, most times anyways, meaning "wow that hair is too good to be true!"

moxamoll
December 21st, 2011, 02:36 PM
I've never had it phrased as a question, just the "wow, your hair is long" comment. Which is just awkward to answer - especially since by LHC standards it really isn't! LOL

My natural tendency is to sarcasm and I have to bite my tongue really hard at "Your hair is long" and "Your dog is really big" comments. It's not the speaker's fault that I've heard the same thing a million times - I just wish people were a little more imaginative!

TheBluffs
December 21st, 2011, 04:48 PM
I almost exclusively wear my hair in buns now, but I do wear the odd braid. Then, I usually respond 'yes' and smile. Or just smile. I find it more interesting when people point out the size of my bun, and ask how long my hair is then. :)

LoveBunny
December 21st, 2011, 07:00 PM
I haven't myself been asked, but a friend has. Someone asked if her hair was "real." so if I was asked with that phrasing, I'd probably use the same response as I use when asked about my boobs.. "well, they're sure as hell not imaginary".. only it would be "it's sure as hell not imaginary."

Arashi
December 21st, 2011, 09:53 PM
I've never been asked that question before(my hair is not long enough), but I would answer with a simple, "well, yes, it grew out of my head!"
I really don't see it as a stupid or terribly offensive question, I mean a lot of people do wear wigs and extensions and so on. I personally wouldn't ask someone a question like that, but if someone did ask me I'd mark it up to genuine curiosity and just give a straight answer. :shrug:

akuamoonmaui
December 21st, 2011, 11:28 PM
I was asked this at Halloween (I was in my mermaid costume). I was floored. I wasn't sure if I should take it as a compliment or not. Especially when I said yes, and she tugged on her wig and said, "Like mine?".

The vain side of me was very pleased that I was compared to wig hair, I mean really, people pay a lot of money for "perfect" hair. The not-so-vain side was confused and a bit insulted, then I began to wonder, DOES my hair look like a wig????

BlueMuse
December 21st, 2011, 11:51 PM
I just say "yep, sure is". Most people ask as a reflexive shock thing I think. And to be fair, on a couple occasions the answer has been "not the part with the braid and the curls." Freaked one classmate right out when I pulled off the scrunchy "bun accent" thing, put it on my finger and shot it across the room.

The same thing goes with the donate question. I just say "no, just seeing how long it will get". I think sometimes people have a hard time processing why someone would want so much hair because they see it as a ton of work. Either that or I say "I'm too cheap to pay for haircuts so keeping it long is easier."

lilravendark
December 21st, 2011, 11:58 PM
When people ask is it yours I just answer a simple yes, it's just an honest question most of the time.

ladylovecraft
December 22nd, 2011, 12:21 AM
I don't think I've been asked this yet--my hair is just about to make waist so it really isn't that long. But when (if?) the time does come, it'll depend on how it's asked. If someone immediately assumes it's extensions, I'm going to be a little sarcastic. Not everyone subscribes to your beauty standards, world. If it comes off as just genuine curiosity (or if it's someone who has known me for a while, as I used to wear a ton of wigs, haha) I would just answer with a simple yes, I grew it myself!

TiffanieJean
March 24th, 2012, 12:17 PM
Just about every time I go out of the house someone says something about my hair. I normal about the color (It would be very hard to find extensions, so that's out of the question lol). It depends on who is asking and how but when I get the accusational tone I say "do you see any roots?"

maborosi
March 24th, 2012, 12:20 PM
I was never snarky about it. I just told them, "Yes, it's my real hair. I've been growing it out" I don't like to come off as rude. I never got asked in a rude way about my hair. Occasionally people would give crappy "advice", but I just kinda politely blew them off.

~maborosi~

Patty lou
March 24th, 2012, 02:06 PM
I would simply say politely yes, even if I had bought it, it still is mine, besides it's none of their buisness.

Patty lou

lapushka
March 24th, 2012, 02:29 PM
With great difficulty. :o I was only asked this once, and quite rudely too.

long&blonde
March 24th, 2012, 03:45 PM
So love this.
You know they'll be insulted.
As if You aren't supposed to be, and They started it!

misspurdy06
March 24th, 2012, 05:26 PM
Just say "No, I don't believe hair exists" I say something similar when a cancer center or fire department calls during dinner and asks for money. Like "Sorry, I don't believe in fire"

Beckstar
March 24th, 2012, 05:48 PM
"What hair? I don't see any."

MissCoco
March 24th, 2012, 05:54 PM
I just say "yes". Repeatedly, if needed. :p

Knotted
March 24th, 2012, 06:49 PM
I've never been asked this, but I would just smile and say, "yes." And I would be flattered that they asked that.

Why be snarky about it?

kidari
March 24th, 2012, 07:15 PM
I used to get offended but now I realize it's the sweetest compliment. I get happy and say, "Yes, it's all mine!" The only thing is, when people ask me if it's real they are already touching my head feeling for things in my scalp or something.

Funny thing is, I used to wear clip ins when my hair was a bob and the extensions were just past shoulder length and nobody thought it was fake. (I wore my hair up all the time and then clip ins when I wore it down so that I didn't have to heat style it.) Once my friend saw me take it out and she was so shocked thinking it was my real hair the whole time.

Correa
March 24th, 2012, 07:26 PM
As far as I remember all the comments about my long hair have been positive. Except for my dad who makes jokes about cutting it off all the time. <3

I feel happy when people comment, as it means my hair is long enough for people to notice. :D

LornaDoone
March 24th, 2012, 08:01 PM
I take my cue from Anne Shirley and just grin and say "Yes, every bit."

young&reckless
March 24th, 2012, 08:41 PM
I do not know. I kind of feel that asking if I am wearing extentions is rude. I do not go around asking if peoples breasts are real just because they look good. Or wow you look rested, botox? Or are your eues blue? Or contacts?.. I find the whole asking if part of my bodys is real or fake or whatever, just not nice.

Bedhead
March 24th, 2012, 09:20 PM
I haven't had the length question asked - my hair's never been that long - but I do get it about my hair colour, to which I usually answer enthusiastically with "Yep!" They say, "Wow! It's really nice." and life goes on. It's when they're snarky and accuse me of being a liar that I become a bit of a smartass, but this is very rare. Anyway, I'm sure simply saying "Yep!" could apply here too.

Caitpenn
March 24th, 2012, 11:17 PM
Lol! Enjoying some of the responses so far. I've never been asked if my hair was real; though, I do get tons of people who come up to me and say something like, "Oh you have such long beautiful hair. You should cut it and give it to locks of love." Ugh... :mad:

gthlvrmx
March 24th, 2012, 11:28 PM
Love this one

Macaroni
March 25th, 2012, 12:26 AM
The few times I've been asked, it was always a woman asking and my hair was up in a chignon. They were very sweet and when I said yes they complimented my hair.

No one ever asked me that question when my hair was down in a low pony :(.

missdelarocha
March 25th, 2012, 01:11 AM
Nope I thought it was yours.

LOL, you're a gun!

caadam
March 25th, 2012, 01:37 AM
Haven't been asked that, but I assume I'd probably just answer, "Uh huh!"

But if they were asking sarcastically, I'd probably answer, "Why are you being sarcastic about it? Am I offending you in some way?"

Because really? Why ask such a thing sarcastically? People who do that are often somehow offended because they're making it personal. And if you call them out on it, they usually back off, usually from being embarrassed or because they don't care to answer, or get more put off and just walk away all angrily. The latter response isn't my fault—they're the ones who made it personal first, not me. I just figured that I deserved an explanation for their sarcasm, especially when I hadn't done anything to them.

PrincessIdril
March 25th, 2012, 06:09 AM
I've never been asked this, but I think I'd just politely inform them that yes it is all mine.

I can see why people might reply to that question snarkly though, I mean my hair is only BSL and I get fed up with the way people feel the need to inform me that my hair is so long when they meet me. So it must get annoying if people assume your hair is fake, to me asking someone "is it yours?" is a bit rude.

blondie9912
March 25th, 2012, 10:11 AM
My hair is nowhere near long or thick enough to prompt such a question, but I would probably reply with something sarcastic but not too snarky. I really don't see the point in starting an argument over someone's ignorance.

I'd probably say something like, "Nope, borrowed it from a friend. It's mine til 8PM tonight, so admire it while you can"

akka naeda
March 25th, 2012, 11:18 AM
I just look at them in surprise and say "Of course" like they are stupid for thinking otherwise. It doesn't happen so much now though, because you don't get people with (knee-length) salt and pepper extensions.

Shepherdess
March 25th, 2012, 12:03 PM
The first few times people asked me that question, I kind of looked at them strangely and was like what? Then they had to explain to me that some people get extensions. I honestly didn't know what extensions were until I looked them up online recently. :p lol

pink.sara
March 26th, 2012, 04:19 AM
I get this fairly frequently because my hair is such a solid shade of black and purple and so straight people tend to think it's at least half synthetic extensions.
I generally respond with a polite "yes it's all mine" because it's mostly curiosity, but rude people get a withering look along with the response!

Bagginslover
March 26th, 2012, 05:22 AM
I've only ever been asked this once, and that was AFTER a hair cut!

My friend cut it for me-we left the bottom hair alone, and just added layers, the longest being about an inch and a half shorter than the length we left alone (the longest bits were mid back length I'd imagine-they were longer than my under-boob area at the front). The first person I saw at work the next day immediatly asked if I'd gotten extensions! I just laughed and told her that I'd actually had a cut. I can see why she thought it though, with the step between the 2 longest layers.