PDA

View Full Version : Privacy

dulce
December 17th, 2011, 12:29 PM
Just wanted to mention that your pics on this forum can end up on the internet elsewhere.I googled long curly hair pics for fun and some of my pics from my public album turned up as well as several others from the forum.Thought you should know,so take that to mind when you post pics.

OhioLisa
December 17th, 2011, 12:30 PM
That's why you have the option of private albums, blogs, etc. ;)

dulce
December 17th, 2011, 12:35 PM
I was surprised but don't really care ,so will keep my public album but those of you who do care, a private album might be best.If you post pics on a thread they will not be private so again the google search engine picks them up and displays them on the net.

Amber_Maiden
December 17th, 2011, 12:52 PM
Huh. I'm not sure how I'd feel... I'd probably tell them they have to say who it is in the picture... ie. Put my name under it.

door72067
December 17th, 2011, 01:34 PM
good to know, thank you

Chromis
December 17th, 2011, 02:23 PM

True, but my sig pics get stolen from here as well and those cannot be made private. I find it amusing the number of different sites that steal my photos with very different aims! Aside from the f*tish ones, religious sites often take my sig pictures as well and one was very popular among "fans" of Birkenstocks.

Aladria
December 17th, 2011, 02:31 PM
Google isn't really displaying them "elsewhere." Their image search is just showing images from sites all over - including this one - just like searching for long hair care tips will bring up threads here. The images shown are links to this forum, so they don't have to say who it is or anything. They aren't claiming it as theirs.

It is still important info to keep in mind. Thank you for making sure people understand that this forum is "out there" for anyone and everyone to see.

As for stolen images, I think a watermark is a good idea.

jacqueline101
December 17th, 2011, 03:34 PM
I'm not a shamed of my pictures and the progress I've made. I'm not ashamed of being on the web.

cheetahfast
December 17th, 2011, 04:00 PM
Google isn't really displaying them "elsewhere." Their image search is just showing images from sites all over - including this one - just like searching for long hair care tips will bring up threads here. The images shown are links to this forum, so they don't have to say who it is or anything. They aren't claiming it as theirs.

Yep, I checked, two of my pictures from a thread I posted turned up, google brought me right to it.

Exactly, I have public and private photos. Pictures with my face and my blog are private. The public ones and pictures I put in threads you can't see my face so I don't mind people seeing them...well with my public album non-LHC members or ones with under 25 posts can't see them.

I didn't think people though pictures in threads were private :shrug:

Miss Catrina
December 17th, 2011, 04:41 PM
I really couldn't care less who sees my face, so I'm good.

getoffmyskittle
December 17th, 2011, 04:42 PM
I've had photos stolen/hotlinked and so have other members here. I think it's wise to be careful.

cmg
December 17th, 2011, 04:44 PM
True, but my sig pics get stolen from here as well and those cannot be made private. I find it amusing the number of different sites that steal my photos with very different aims! Aside from the f*tish ones, religious sites often take my sig pictures as well and one was very popular among "fans" of Birkenstocks.
Thats why I hesitate posting pictures of myself, especially high resolution ones. And I try to keep the avatars goofy. They sometimes end up being stolen anyway. :poot:

CarpeDM
December 17th, 2011, 04:44 PM
My siggy pic got lifted onto google. As a result I then asked the mods about downloading pictures on LHC and was told that whether or not they are private, any pictures we upload are not 100% safe from being lifted.

cmg
December 17th, 2011, 04:50 PM
All you have to do to find out is log out and try lifting it. Then you'll know whats possible for others outside LHC.

Raiscake
December 17th, 2011, 11:43 PM
Nothing's private on the internet. It's best to post pictures with that in mind.

piffyanne
December 18th, 2011, 12:00 AM
Well, I've put up pictures with my face on it, but I'd like to know the rationale behind NOT doing so? If creeps get their hands on it, what could happen? I mean, if they were going to be posing as us online (worst I can imagine) they could get those same photos from wandering around Facebook. Is it the easily searchable longhairs all gathered in one spot that's a concern?

Sorry to ask a question that's probably been answered before, I just would like to know what's up there.:confused:

vdhendrix
December 18th, 2011, 01:09 AM
ive also found some of mine that way

pepperminttea
December 18th, 2011, 01:59 AM
Nothing's private on the internet. It's best to post pictures with that in mind.

Agreed. It's not a question of shame of being online or anything, it's just something to always be aware of. Ask yourself how you'd feel if your significant other/mother/friend/boss came across the image and recognised you. Not trying to be a scare-monger, but it's something to keep in mind.

Jezerellica
December 18th, 2011, 03:31 AM
A friend told me he was reading all my comments on threads and hair blog. I was mortified. :rolleyes: Then I just decided this is a chance I take and nothing is private. It was a shock though. He was laughing at some of my posts that were meant for my fellow LHCrs, not the general public. :confused: Sigh. Well, that is why I have so few comments on threads now. I wish I felt more comfortable saying whatever I feel. My pics are already on FB, so I don't care about those.

cheetahfast
December 18th, 2011, 06:20 AM
Well, I've put up pictures with my face on it, but I'd like to know the rationale behind NOT doing so? If creeps get their hands on it, what could happen? I mean, if they were going to be posing as us online (worst I can imagine) they could get those same photos from wandering around Facebook. Is it the easily searchable longhairs all gathered in one spot that's a concern?

Sorry to ask a question that's probably been answered before, I just would like to know what's up there.:confused:

I like to be somewhat anonymous here, I'm not sure what others reasons are. I do have photos with my face in my private album since some of them show my different hair stages before LHC so well. I'm just not comfortable putting them in the threads or since it's public then, anonymity gone.

My facebook is so private that someone wouldn't even be able to find pictures of me. I only have like 30 friends and all of my stuff on it is visible to friends only.

I'm not sure of other people's reasons...

cmg
December 18th, 2011, 02:41 PM
Well, I've put up pictures with my face on it, but I'd like to know the rationale behind NOT doing so? If creeps get their hands on it, what could happen? I mean, if they were going to be posing as us online (worst I can imagine) ...
What about offline? People that work with trafficing need passport pictures etc and thats not the worst that can happen. Some people take pictures of models and replace their faces and so on. You would be surprised, what some people do! I have worked in association with the local police force in cases where things like this appeared. I am not saying it will neccessarily happen, I am saying we should be aware and keep private what we wish to remain private.