PDA

View Full Version : How to make my hair look bigger, but safely ?

darkrose
December 17th, 2011, 12:13 PM
So, I'm curious what my hair would look like if it looked thicker and bigger. I googled it and people said about hair spray and back combing (?) but that doesn't sound hair friendly. Is there any way you know of to safely make hair look bigger?

Hollyfire3
December 17th, 2011, 12:16 PM
hmm, you could use a good thickening product, mousse cream or something? Try fluffling your hair as it dries and apply the product in multiple layers.

Amber_Maiden
December 17th, 2011, 12:47 PM
How about combing your hair upside down and then putting some mouse in it?

darkrose
December 17th, 2011, 12:49 PM
Oh, I have mouse! I'll try that tomorrow. :))) thanks!

Orangerthanred
December 17th, 2011, 12:54 PM
I don't have thin/flat hair, but I can tell you what makes my hair poofier than usual.

-Flipping my hair upside down
-Wearing my hair in a bun over night
- Giovanni Direct Leave-In Weightless Moisture Conditioner
- Brushing, especially with a BBB
- Rollers [only if you roll them upwards]

lesbia
December 17th, 2011, 01:08 PM
for me work:
- braid/bun waves or curls
- lemon, definitely lemon. Let me try to explain. I use lemon juice (diluited is better because it is very aggressive, and also drying ;)) on my hair, I put it on covering more or less all my hair, until my hair is wet. I let it dry in the air and then I just comb my hair very gently. Result: soooo thicker hair, that's incredible!!! :) :) :)

darkrose
December 17th, 2011, 01:57 PM
for me work:
- braid/bun waves or curls
- lemon, definitely lemon. Let me try to explain. I use lemon juice (diluited is better because it is very aggressive, and also drying ;)) on my hair, I put it on covering more or less all my hair, until my hair is wet. I let it dry in the air and then I just comb my hair very gently. Result: soooo thicker hair, that's incredible!!! :) :) :)

I never knew lemon juice could do that! But will it not also lighten hair too?

spidermom
December 17th, 2011, 02:08 PM
How about combing your hair upside down and then putting some mouse in it?

Add to that a blow dryer on cool to the roots while you're upside down.

lapushka
December 17th, 2011, 02:22 PM
I see you're a 3a; should already be big, unless you want an eighties look. In any case, don't brush your hair when dry, that's about the worst you can do. It will be bigger, but somehow I don't think you'll want the results.

Hollyfire3
December 17th, 2011, 02:56 PM
I see you're a 3a; should already be big, unless you want an eighties look. In any case, don't brush your hair when dry, that's about the worst you can do. It will be bigger, but somehow I don't think you'll want the results.

Lol, i get that way sometimes and im a 2b/2c oh the joys of frizzy curls...not!

jaine
December 17th, 2011, 03:04 PM
But ... but .... your profile says 3a and ii thickness .... and you want your hair to be bigger?!? ... How big is it already, just curious? Mine is 2c and ii thickness and it's freaking huge. Almost as wide as my shoulders. With curly hair you should be able to just finger-comb it a little bit to make it huge. Smaller clumps = bigger hair.

Plopping gives me good root lift if I want that ... the roots are the only place where my hair might decide to lie flat.

Hollyfire3
December 17th, 2011, 03:11 PM
But ... but .... your profile says 3a and ii thickness .... and you want your hair to be bigger?!? ... How big is it already, just curious? Mine is 2c and ii thickness and it's freaking huge. Almost as wide as my shoulders. With curly hair you should be able to just finger-comb it a little bit to make it huge. Smaller clumps = bigger hair.

Plopping gives me good root lift if I want that ... the roots are the only place where my hair might decide to lie flat.

Yeah i am wondering how big the thread starters hair is normally? My hair is solid iii thickness and wider than my sholders. At BSL, it looks like i have a cape of hair. I LOVE it when its not humid, maybe the person should stand in a humid bathroom or use a humidifier in their room, that should frizz things up pretty fast...

jacqueline101
December 17th, 2011, 03:22 PM
I'd say curling your hair in an upward motion and finger style it.

irisheyes
December 17th, 2011, 05:25 PM
How about one of those shampoos and conditioners that add volume?

Anje
December 17th, 2011, 06:44 PM
They don't work well for everyone, but washing with shampoo bars (that is, soap-based shampoos rather than detergent-based) causes more volume for a lot of people. You'll probably want to rinse with dilute vinegar afterward if you go this route, so have some handy.

Keeping conditioner away from the scalp, using a lighter conditioner, or applying heavier conditioners only to the lower dryer parts of your hair will also help you maintain volume.

lesbia
December 18th, 2011, 01:39 PM
I never knew lemon juice could do that! But will it not also lighten hair too?

yes, a little bit :)

darkrose
December 18th, 2011, 03:17 PM
It basically for an 80s party my friends are doing, my hair is big but not 80s big. My friends are wearing wigs, but I find wigs can be itchy. Sorrry, I should have mentioned it. :(

luthein
December 18th, 2011, 03:27 PM
I use a small amount of dry shampoo to soak up the oil and thicken my hair. I used to use the Oscar Blandi dry shampoo, but now I just use cornstarch. It gives a little bit of oomph to the roots.

jaine
December 18th, 2011, 03:42 PM
It basically for an 80s party my friends are doing, my hair is big but not 80s big. My friends are wearing wigs, but I find wigs can be itchy. Sorrry, I should have mentioned it. :(

If your hair is truly 3a, then you should be able to just brush it to get 80's big hair. If it's not 3a you could curl it first and then brush it.

sazzie88
December 28th, 2011, 01:17 PM
I have very fine hair that gets very limp i am also looking for anyway to get big volume as i love tit.

Dry shampoo works well for me aand also blow drying with my head upside down but after a while it looses its volume and its flat again :-(

ravenreed
December 28th, 2011, 01:22 PM
Sometimes I clip the front of my hair up in a pouf while it dries. That always gives me more root volume. I also find dry shampoos help. Since abandoning SLS and going CO, my hair doesn't have the volume it used to but that is okay with me. I used to be a walking advert for 80's hair without doing anything!

CurlyCap
December 28th, 2011, 01:35 PM
To keep your definition, do your entire hair routine upside down. Wash, condition, rinse upside down in the shower. If you can, even let your hair dry upside down in front of a fan or with a hairdryer that has a cool setting.

When you flip your hair back up, all the curls will have formed for the "other" direction. Instant amazing volume. :D

For lack of definition: Touch it. LOL. Finger comb when dry or even comb/brush.

cjol1987
December 28th, 2011, 01:47 PM
I've never tried this, because I just found it online the other day, looks good to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3fA3BnZXjA&feature=colike

It's big.

jojo
December 28th, 2011, 04:21 PM
When your hair is 60% dry, toss your head forward and apply AVG to the root area, massaging it in. Then get a scrunchie and do a twisty bun on top of your head and then leave it to dry; best overnight and then when its dry undo the scrunchie and let the hair fall. Instant volume!

girlcat36
December 28th, 2011, 04:39 PM
When your hair is 60% dry, toss your head forward and apply AVG to the root area, massaging it in. Then get a scrunchie and do a twisty bun on top of your head and then leave it to dry; best overnight and then when its dry undo the scrunchie and let the hair fall. Instant volume!

This sounds interesting. I am 3a and in desperate need of volume. It's a misconception that being 3a guarantees big hair; mine is totally flat. :mad:

lapushka
December 29th, 2011, 01:55 PM
What about using that clippy method as part of the Curly Girl routine, you know, clipping your roots?
http://healthycurls.net/2011/01/11/clipping-roots-for-volume/

oktobergoud
December 29th, 2011, 03:18 PM
There's one product I LOVE for making my hair bigger and it's Schwarzkopf Osis Dust It! It's a bit like baby powder I think? It does makes my hair a bit rough but I use it for when I need to go to a party and I haven't washed my hair for a few days. It's amazing though, gives you lots of volume! Not sure if it's 'safe' though, might dry your hair out a bit? You only have to use it on the roots!

girlcat36
December 30th, 2011, 07:40 AM
What about using that clippy method as part of the Curly Girl routine, you know, clipping your roots?
http://healthycurls.net/2011/01/11/clipping-roots-for-volume/

I've tried this and my hair is so thin that the clips just fall down against my scalp and ultimately it still dries flat. :( I guess because the clips outweigh my hair by too much.
The best best for me would be to dry my hair upside down. I haven't figured out how I'm going to do that yet.

LissaJane
December 30th, 2011, 08:09 AM
If you want to accomplish like a bump on your head without backcombing, I used to make lots of little layers of curls before pinning the top layer back. Before I knew how damaging teasing & backcombing was it was my staple going out look. I think the little curls technique actually looks better :)

Dunno if someone's already said this, haven't read all the posts.

Diamond.Eyes
December 30th, 2011, 11:08 AM
I know putting my hair in a top-knot while it's wet gives me insane volume. If I sleep with a bun on top of my head while I sleep, I wake up with very voluminous waves in the morning. :) No heat needed. :p