PDA

View Full Version : Why this UPDO solves FINE/THIN hair problems

shikara
December 17th, 2011, 11:24 AM
Dealing with a whole set of problems, Ive begun reading the fine/thin hair thread and noticed thT so many have the same updo problems as me (go figure!!). This updo has solved most if not all of them for me, and it could most likely be altered up a little for shorter lengths. It solves the teensy bun problem, the dragging or falling down problems, the securing problems, and the pulling of hairs. The fuller curls section is about five inches square. I just twirled sections around my fingers and pinned (goody also has one inch bobby pins!). The rest of the hair (about three inches up nape area and the sides and 'bang' area down) I did two braids at the bottom, criss crossed them and wrapped around my head and put a couple small pins in. As I said changes can be made for shorter hair like not crisscrossing the braids, by twisting - what would be the braid - hair around your head and pinning. Id love to see variations of this! Post them here if you try this method and it works:). The idea is to keep a lot of the hair seaparate so as to avoid the pulling, pinning as one whole bun, and the curls or loops add volume and depth!!
http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/lmarie29/a5642814.jpg

Hollyfire3
December 17th, 2011, 11:31 AM
Dealing with a whole set of problems, Ive begun reading the fine/thin hair thread and noticed thT so many have the same updo problems as me (go figure!!). This updo has solved most if not all of them for me, and it could most likely be altered up a little for shorter lengths. It solves the teensy bun problem, the dragging or falling down problems, the securing problems, and the pulling of hairs. The fuller curls section is about five inches square. I just twirled sections around my fingers and pinned (goody also has one inch bobby pins!). The rest of the hair (about three inches up nape area and the sides and 'bang' area down) I did two braids at the bottom, criss crossed them and wrapped around my head and put a couple small pins in. As I said changes can be made for shorter hair like not crisscrossing the braids, by twisting - what would be the braid - hair around your head and pinning. Id love to see variations of this! Post them here if you try this method and it works:). The idea is to keep a lot of the hair seaparate so as to avoid the pulling, pinning as one whole bun, and the curls or loops add volume and depth!!
http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/lmarie29/a5642814.jpg

Oh wow, great idea, looking at that, i would not have guessed you had finner hair. It is beautiful and very clever. I would like a variation for thicker hair, maybe someone will post it. But, i think many people with similar hair to yours will thank you. And, it is absoultly gorgeous i say again. Nice work.

blondie9912
December 17th, 2011, 11:38 AM
That looks awesome! Will definitely have to try it when my hair gets longer :)

Gothchiq
December 17th, 2011, 11:47 AM
Wow, that's really pretty!

shikara
December 17th, 2011, 08:33 PM
Thanks for your lovely comments! I wore this all day today, and it was quire a busy day. It was so very comfortable, I didnt feel a thing on my head!!

LittleB
December 17th, 2011, 09:49 PM
That looks seriously pretty.

Xi
December 17th, 2011, 09:56 PM
Beautiful! :blossom: I'm going to try this. Thanks for the lovely idea!

piffyanne
December 17th, 2011, 11:36 PM
This looks a lot like the Edwardian style called the Recamier Coiffure. Link: http://frazzledfrau.tripod.com/titanic/recamier.htm. I've worn it a couple times, and it's a gorgeous thing! The back of my head on my avatar *points up and to the left* shows what it can look like, and it's a great style if you've got enough bobby pins! :D

Does your updo have a name?

shikara
December 18th, 2011, 12:10 AM
Hey, well I never even thought of giving it a name! It has grecian qualities though doesn't it? Hmmm, I'll call it Athena! What do you think?

hanne jensen
December 18th, 2011, 03:52 AM
The Athena bun! Sounds great! Do you put your hair in a pony first? I avoid elastics because my hair is so fine and delicate.

Maybe you could make a step by step tutorial for us hair challenged members?

shikara
December 18th, 2011, 05:57 AM
No I dont pony first which is another thing i love about it - ponys tug my hair! I just take a section, wrap around my fingers, pin, repeat in this small area, not looking at the wraps as I go about it. Just making sure they are very close to each other. A pony woukd work too but the effect woukd be different?? I can try to prepare a tutorial.

Fairlight63
December 18th, 2011, 06:13 AM
That is such a pretty hair style! I also have fine - thin hair & would like to try it. A tutorial would be very much appreciated :D
Thank you!

lacefrost
December 19th, 2011, 11:02 PM
This is such a beautiful style and it looks wonderful on you. I love how it shows off all the streaks and variations in your hair. Lovely!

einna
December 20th, 2011, 01:20 AM
Very pretty :)

Delila
December 20th, 2011, 09:46 AM
Very pretty, I'll have to try it some time! Need some pins, though, LOL!

Sissilonghair
December 20th, 2011, 10:44 PM
I can try to prepare a tutorial.

A video would be nice too :)

Honestwitness
December 25th, 2011, 10:15 AM
Stunning! I would also encourage you to do a tutorial.

spidermom
December 25th, 2011, 10:48 AM
I like that! I do something similar from time to time, but it takes me ages most of the time. I did once manage to whip the style up in about 20 minutes, but I was particularly coordinated that day, I think.

jacqueline101
December 25th, 2011, 10:49 AM
Its the slight wave and the braid. It has more then one thing going on. Gives the illusion of more hair.

LaurelSpring
January 3rd, 2012, 05:00 PM
I just whipped this up. It took hardly any time at all. It looks really cute! :) Love it! Its very comfy and seems to be holding well. I tried to take a pic but its so hard to do by myself. Thank you!!

I also wanted to add that another thing I am loving about this is the way it covers the back of my head in nice soft wavy folds. When I just braid my hair into regular pigtails and pin them around my head I have that part situation down the middle and I dont really like how that looks so much. This gives me the pretty crown braidish look with the soft middle folds rather than the funky part which I can never seem to get straight.

RapunzelKat
January 17th, 2012, 09:39 PM
Here are some pics of my first successful attempt! I am quite inexperienced at updos, so I need practice to get faster and neater... You can see where a few wispy bits got away from me :p

I love this style! It is super-comfortable and doesn't pull my hair in any way, like almost everything else does. It looks really pretty and fancy, and it makes me look like I've got WAY more hair than I actually do :D:D

Sorry, I didn't think to take any pictures of the front/top... But I promise it looks really good from the front, too ;)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=9257&pictureid=124206
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=9257&pictureid=124207

shikara
January 17th, 2012, 10:17 PM
As I said in my pm to you RapunzelKat...YOU GO GIRL!! You did a fabulous job! Im glad it worked out for you. i got lazy today, and just had five loops, but the braid thing ties it altogether nicely. Wearing it tomorrow??

RapunzelKat
January 17th, 2012, 11:16 PM
As I said in my pm to you RapunzelKat...YOU GO GIRL!! You did a fabulous job! Im glad it worked out for you. i got lazy today, and just had five loops, but the braid thing ties it altogether nicely. Wearing it tomorrow??

:hmm: Ooh, I wonder if I can manage to pull it together before work in the morning? That would be a lot of fun, since everybody's used to seeing my boring ol' braid. :p I'm still soooo slow at updos though... it might have to wait for a weekend day when I can take my time in the am.
Maybe I'll get lucky though... We'll see! :D

akilina
January 17th, 2012, 11:57 PM
I really like it!! I love the braid you put into it too. Maybe some day when my hair is longer I can try this.
The thing I hate most about my hair is that when I do any sort of up do there is NOOOOO volume whatsoever. It is like flat on my head and makes my double chin look massive and it does not make my overall profile look attractive to me. The only way i can get a good shape is with curls and that involves using heat for me :(