PDA

View Full Version : Mens version of the LHC

jennescence
December 17th, 2011, 12:36 AM
So i was just browsing thru a mens version of the LHC and a lot of men on there were saying that you should wet your hair every day for it to retain moisture. My question is, have any of you had experience with this? What is your opinion on the matter?

white.chocolate
December 17th, 2011, 12:56 AM
Incidentally, I've started doing this only just recently because of the dry, cold winter months. (Before joining the LHC, I never really bothered to take care of static hair.) I wet my hair everyday, or twice a day, with a little bit of water, but I don't wet my scalp though because I don't want the oil traveling down. It works for me so far. I'm just thinking of switching to another more convenient and perhaps more effective method.

jennescence
December 17th, 2011, 12:57 AM
Thank you for your response:) I will try this too and see how it goes

sycamoreboutiqu
December 17th, 2011, 01:01 AM
That makes sense, and I think I am going to try it too.

It seems that simple wetting might not be enough though, at least not with wurly or curly hair, it needs something to lock that in.

I have been pretty happy with a near daily dose of Kimberlilys defrizz spray - probably because it contains not only oils, but water and aloe gel and the combination of the three definitely helps hydrate and then helps the hair retain it too.

white.chocolate
December 17th, 2011, 01:05 AM
So i was just browsing thru a mens version of the LHC and a lot of men on there were saying that you should wet your hair every day for it to retain moisture. My question is, have any of you had experience with this? What is your opinion on the matter?

I hope it works for you.:) I forgot to mention that the other day I managed to find my spray bottle. So now I'm using it to spray water instead of wetting with my hands.

jennescence
December 17th, 2011, 01:08 AM
Wow thanks sycamoreboutiqu Im going to have to try that! Makes sense to lock it in with oils

white.chocolate
December 17th, 2011, 01:08 AM
That makes sense, and I think I am going to try it too.

It seems that simple wetting might not be enough though, at least not with wurly or curly hair, it needs something to lock that in.

I have been pretty happy with a near daily dose of Kimberlilys defrizz spray - probably because it contains not only oils, but water and aloe gel and the combination of the three definitely helps hydrate and then helps the hair retain it too.

That's why I'm searching the forums here because I'm sure there's a better method than using only water. Also, I'm using oil on my hair as a leave-in conditioner.

sycamoreboutiqu
December 17th, 2011, 01:44 AM
White Chocolate

Yes, that is one of the better things I have learned since being here, oil can be your friend.

The type of oil varies widely - mine prefers Jojoba and Coconut whereas some like Olive oil better. Either way, less us usually more.

Do a search for Kimberlily and defrizz spray . You might like that too, I love it for taming my wavy frizz prone mop - that and CO washing has given me a whole different head of hair.

PS - Try a few drops of oil rubbed in your palms then applied right after you are done with your shampoo/condition process. Applying it to dripping wet hair (squeezed out but not towel dried) helps distribute it evenly and locks in moisture.

white.chocolate
December 17th, 2011, 02:01 AM
White Chocolate

Yes, that is one of the better things I have learned since being here, oil can be your friend.

The type of oil varies widely - mine prefers Jojoba and Coconut whereas some like Olive oil better. Either way, less us usually more.

Do a search for Kimberlily and defrizz spray . You might like that too, I love it for taming my wavy frizz prone mop - that and CO washing has given me a whole different head of hair.

PS - Try a few drops of oil rubbed in your palms then applied right after you are done with your shampoo/condition process. Applying it to dripping wet hair (squeezed out but not towel dried) helps distribute it evenly and locks in moisture.

Thank you for the tips! I'm already using oil after a shower and I love the effects. I'll be taking a look at your suggestions. :)

IanB
December 17th, 2011, 02:14 AM
Well, it's something I do every morning, just dip my hands in water a couple of times and smooth down the length of my hair - much better than any hairspray!

Amber_Maiden
December 17th, 2011, 07:42 AM
It's to my understanding that the reason some people on LHC stretch their washes is because water can be drying...

anikadear
December 17th, 2011, 07:51 AM
It's to my understanding that the reason some people on LHC stretch their washes is because water can be drying...

This is what I thought also...?

Mopolop
December 17th, 2011, 08:03 AM

They're not talking about washing away any oils, they only dampen their hair. I don't think dampening your hair with water would get rid of any sebum (or any other oils), and hence I wouldn't think it would dry your hair.

Sunny_side_up
December 17th, 2011, 08:25 AM
Ooo i like this:) At work on days when i feel wind blown when i get there or when my hairs looking a bit fluffed & static, i wet my hands and pat my hair down, find it a good way to control my hair also tames the side bits of growing out old fringe, which then get tucked behind my ears and dry like that:D My hair seems to like this, especially recently since the heating is on full at work!

bumblebums
December 17th, 2011, 08:41 AM

I don't think that's the reason. People stretch their washes because wet hair is temporarily weakened. The less you handle it, the better off your hair is. And it is probably shampoo, not water that is drying when overused.

There is probably nothing wrong with misting your hair and then bunning it for the day if you want moisture. I wouldn't soak it in water every day.

teela1978
December 17th, 2011, 10:51 AM

Really? I've always thought they were more worried about the surfectants in their shampoo....

girlcat36
December 17th, 2011, 11:07 AM
My hair would look so much better if I could soak it down everyday in the winter. Misting does not help much, it prefers to be soaked. Stretching out washes(or waterings) makes my hair drier. I only soak my hair 2-3 times a week, but in a perfect world(where I had time for wet hair) I would totally wet down my hair everyday.

pinupdancer
December 17th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Oh, I've always done this. I usually just run my hands under some water, shake them off and then run them through the length and ends of my hair. And if it's really being a pain, I'll do this with lotion. I haven't noticed any adverse effects.

seaj
December 17th, 2011, 03:47 PM
I thought that only water can add moisture to hair, and that oils are mostly used to seal the moisture in.

jaine
December 17th, 2011, 04:02 PM
Really? I've always thought they were more worried about the surfectants in their shampoo....

^^ That's what I thought too...

There's probably some desire to avoid the lengthy drying time as well...

spidermom
December 17th, 2011, 04:02 PM
From what I've read, wetting your hair every day is more likely to result in your hair drying out than adding moisture. To retain moisture, your cuticle needs to be nice and tight, flat and smooth. Every time you wet your hair, the hydrogen bonds are disrupted, and your cuticle opens. This is why you are more likely to incur damage when your hair is wet.

As your hair dries, some of the intrinsic moisture evaporates along with the surface water. Also, over time, the mechanism that enables your cuticle to close tightly and smoothly becomes fatigued and doesn't work as smoothly any more.

I'll have to see if I can find that article/those articles again. I'm not making this stuff up.

girlcat36
December 17th, 2011, 04:45 PM
From what I've read, wetting your hair every day is more likely to result in your hair drying out than adding moisture. To retain moisture, your cuticle needs to be nice and tight, flat and smooth. Every time you wet your hair, the hydrogen bonds are disrupted, and your cuticle opens. This is why you are more likely to incur damage when your hair is wet.

As your hair dries, some of the intrinsic moisture evaporates along with the surface water. Also, over time, the mechanism that enables your cuticle to close tightly and smoothly becomes fatigued and doesn't work as smoothly any more.

I'll have to see if I can find that article/those articles again. I'm not making this stuff up.

This is interesting. My hair likes water, and I have recently learned that my hair is low porosity(tightly closed cuticles).This might explain why it looks better the more water it gets. The water opens the cuticle to allow moisture in, which I need.

Long_Curls
December 17th, 2011, 04:52 PM
I wet my hair at least twice a day. Having tight curls (as a male) means that my hair wakes up with a lot of frizz.

All the best.

sibylla
December 17th, 2011, 04:57 PM
This is true!Before going out I spray water from a spraybottle and work in a little bit of leave in condish.My friend and hair idol taught me that.The hair gets bigger and more moist.

clairenewcastle
December 17th, 2011, 04:58 PM
Water can be drying on my hair. I tend to soak my hair most days in an infusion of catnip which is much more moisturising.

CTH3989
December 17th, 2011, 05:00 PM
I wet my hair everyday because it is easier to manipulate when wet. My hair grows pretty fast and I retain length well. It could be related.

lacefrost
December 18th, 2011, 10:11 AM
If possible, I wet my hair everyday. I think if you have a tight cuticle, the problems spidermom mentioned would happen for you. But I think it's less likely for those who have more porous hair. My hair is just dry. That's how it goes. So wetting it frequently adds more moisture. My hair just soaks it up and stays wet for a day or two. It makes it feel softer, which is a plus in my book.

white.chocolate
December 23rd, 2011, 04:27 AM

Thank you for the info. This is very good to know. I'll start researching on this. I just hope that I haven't been doing something entirely wrong and damaging to my hair. And if it is true that ones with relatively more porous hair have will have less of a problem, then I think I'm one of the lucky ones.

girlcat36
December 23rd, 2011, 07:11 AM
Thank you for the info. This is very good to know. I'll start researching on this. I just hope that I haven't been doing something entirely wrong and damaging to my hair. And if it is true that ones with relatively more porous hair have will have less of a problem, then I think I'm one of the lucky ones.

And just to be contrary, I am going with opposite opinion. I have a tight cuticle(low porosity) and it seems that my problem is getting the moisture to get inside the hair, which a tight cuticle can prevent. More frequent wettings have really improved my hair. Historically, I have tried to lengthen the time between washings and it only made my hair worse.

ktani
December 23rd, 2011, 07:31 AM
Water can be drying on my hair. I tend to soak my hair most days in an infusion of catnip which is much more moisturising.

Catnip works for me really well in all weather conditions and whether I stretch washes or not. I use it as a treatment each time I wash my hair. ETA: I do nothing else to my hair until I wash it again and that can be once a week or up to 10 days lately.

I have heard back from 2 friends I suggested the mineral oil to for keeping moisture in the hair and defeating static and both are very pleased.

One has medium/fine hair and uses a light conditioner and now, when her hair is damp after washing and lightly conditioning, just a few small drops of mineral oil instead of a detangler. She told me it has eliminated static and her hair is smooth and moisturized.

The second has coarse hair and just uses a vinegar rinse normally as she has had no luck finding a conditioner she really likes. She uses a conditioning shampoo on her almost waist length hair. On damp hair she now loves the few drops of mineral oil, which she says have helped her hair maintain a lot more moisture in the dry winter heat.

Merkaba
December 23rd, 2011, 02:46 PM
I'm glad you made this thread! I have thick, coarse hair and all this winter it has been dried out, so badly the ends were actually flipping up. The ONLY thing that has helped is misting everyday with olive oil mixed with water and combing it through. I have been doing this in the morning and evening and adding a tiny bit of jojoba and it is making things much better for me.

If you have fine hair I think wetting the hair all the time and combing *might* make it greasy but I really don't know.

Kina
December 23rd, 2011, 03:03 PM
I have curly/wavy hair, rinsing it every day and conditioner keeps it hydrated, if I don't it gets frizzy and awful.

in any case, is there a link to that site? my SO is growing his hair long and it might be a nice idea to point him to that site.