PDA

View Full Version : Life drama=Hair drama

Mrs. D
December 16th, 2011, 09:51 PM
My husband is currently going through a massive health crisis. Will be having surgery next month. For the last month I have been dressing him, driving him, doing everything in general and working 10 hour days at work. I love dh and would do anything for him, but my hair has paid the price. Not getting combed out, braided at nite and is getting fried.

I have had to yank a brush through the underneath back of my hair so much I have probably lost six inches in one section. Luckily it is not too visible.

How can I get this birds nest of hair detangled and kept safe until dh recovers? Before bsl becomes crew cut material.

Shannon:blossom::blossom:

spidermom
December 16th, 2011, 09:54 PM
Braids? Pinned up, preferably.

javagrl
December 16th, 2011, 09:56 PM
The only thing I can think of is drenching it in sone kind of oil- olive oil comes to mind- and finger combing it little by little until the tangles are out. It stands to reason that if olive oil can get gum out kids' hair, then it can detangle knots.

piffyanne
December 16th, 2011, 11:52 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=30688&highlight=amish+braids this might help, the women this lady got the style from would leave their hair up in it a full week. With your present busy situation, it may come to that. The LHC'er kept hers up this way nearly that long and it looked decent and was apparently not as tangled as you'd THINK it would have been. Use a satin pillowcase or a silk sleeping cap just to be extra gentle to the hair that's exposed in the same place a whole week, imho, just to be sure. HTH

I'll pray for his quick recovery, and for your comfort in a frazzling time. :)

Juneii
December 17th, 2011, 12:08 AM
Braids? Pinned up, preferably.

seconding spidermom, I've gone a whole week of not brushing my hair by doing this. Keeping my hair in a single braid and then pinning it up will keep my hair contained and safe all day. And then at night I take down the braid, fingercomb and then twist up into a high bun. And then in the morning I braid and pin it again.

newbeginning
December 17th, 2011, 07:19 AM
I'm sorry your husband is sick and you're so stressed.

Amber_Maiden
December 17th, 2011, 07:25 AM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=30688&highlight=amish+braids this might help, the women this lady got the style from would leave their hair up in it a full week. With your present busy situation, it may come to that. The LHC'er kept hers up this way nearly that long and it looked decent and was apparently not as tangled as you'd THINK it would have been. Use a satin pillowcase or a silk sleeping cap just to be extra gentle to the hair that's exposed in the same place a whole week, imho, just to be sure. HTH

I'll pray for his quick recovery, and for your comfort in a frazzling time. :)

I second this. Sounds like the easiest answer.

Sorry about your husband and your difficult situation. Stay strong!

lacefrost
December 18th, 2011, 10:04 PM
I'm so sorry your life is being stressful. What I would suggest is what other's have: braid your hair and put it up. My braided hair will last a week when done sloppily and several weeks if done neatly.

Take 30 minutes if you have it. Wash and condition your hair. Oil it nicely. Comb every single last tangle out. Braid it in one or more braids (the more braids, the neater it looks for longer). Then leave it be for a week or so.

jacqueline101
December 19th, 2011, 06:22 AM
Tell him to hang in there and I feel sorry for him mine is acting up at the moment. Maybe braids will help.

Peggy E.
December 19th, 2011, 06:48 AM
My advice is going to be a bit different - though doing a braid and putting it up is an excellent idea. Might also put a scarf over this to assure the "smooth" sections of unbraided hair aren't getting too mussed.

Now, what I'm going to advise is this: you will be of no earthly good to anyone if you do not take a little time for yourself to "destress" a bit. Long-term caretakers have outlets, but you probably don't fall into this category just yet, and let's pray to God you never do.

Stress is a killer, literally. And taking a bit of down-time for yourself is actually doing your husband a favor, too. Your having a stroke or heart-attack will not help him - and certainly won't do YOU any good, either.

Maybe your "down-time" could be taking care of your hair, keeping it nicely combed out, conditioned. The brushing of hair is a soul-stirring, fear-calming act of simply beauty and luxury. It's a gift you can give yourself and your husband.

No, not a gift, a requirement, a necessity, important to you. Please, take care of yourself through all this. Ask for help, if you need a break; vent when you need to release some fear and frustration. It's all a necessary part of maintaining your strength and sanity, while carrying you through one of life's most difficult tests.

I do hope that your husband will soon find himself on the road to good health and that you will be able to return to the life you love, shared together.

Juneii
December 19th, 2011, 01:02 PM
Now, what I'm going to advise is this: you will be of no earthly good to anyone if you do not take a little time for yourself to "destress" a bit.

I agree, I was thinking of you today Mrs. D and thought the same thing. You cannot take care of someone without taking care of yourself first. A few minutes taken out of your day for your health and physical appearance will help you feel a little bit more control over your life. I wish your husband a speedy recovery :flower:

cindy58
December 19th, 2011, 01:15 PM
I agree you should take a few minutes for yourself.

Hope your husband recovers soon, and that you can manage in the meantime!