PDA

View Full Version : Hair unhealthier after a cut?

thirstylocks
December 16th, 2011, 06:17 PM
So I cut my long hair two times this past year. The first time I cut it from about waist to past the shoulders. Then, it grew a bit and I cut it into a bob....

I did this because my hair was fried, damaged, bleached. But when I had longer hair, it wasn't frizzy or poofy. I could just wash and go and it wouldn't look too bad even if it was chemically damaged.

With my bob, I've experienced frizziness and poofiness that I didn't know was possible. My hair is longer from side to side than it is from top to bottom (NOT exaggerating.) Its SOOO much more damaged at the ends and I feel like I have to keep cutting it myself (sometimes I cut off really gross ends on my own). Why is my hair becoming progressively worse??? I just wanna shave it all off!! The virgin hair has grown almost up to my chin and even the ends of the virgin hair are frizzy now.

silverjen
December 16th, 2011, 06:48 PM
When your hair was long it was weighed down by its own length. Now that the weight is gone it's leaping up! You have yourself marked down as a 2C. I'd bet money what you are seeing isn't damage but curls! Give it lots of moisture and see what happens.

jacqueline101
December 16th, 2011, 07:37 PM
My hair was ruined once after a cut a woman used dull scissors and created splits. A damaging cut is possible but it could be the natural body you're seeing.

Kelikea
December 16th, 2011, 07:51 PM
From your pictures, your hair looks rather straight, but you label it as 2c. Is it naturally very wavy and its straightened in the pictures? If so, that would account for some of the poofy/friz. Also, I'm not sure what your general wash method is and what kind of products you use. Maybe you need more moisture. Make sure that your scissors are proper hair cutting scissors with very sharp blades so that you are not just getting more damaged ends when trimming.

spidermom
December 16th, 2011, 09:04 PM
My hairs gets wider before it ever gets longer. If you're a 2C, like me, I'm sure that's your problem. Hang in there, grow it. It gets better.

thirstylocks
December 18th, 2011, 01:43 AM
Thanks for the input! The pictures i have are of my hair straitened with a flat iron. I don't use heat on my hair anymore so its never smooth or straight.

I use pretty good products with no sulfates, and I moisturize with Moroccan oil. I feel like I would give anything to get rid of this "volume." My ends are very, very dry and I honestly don't know if its worth growing my hair before I get another hair cut. My bob has grown out a bit and I'm considering cutting it again but am terrified that the damage will just travel further and further up into my hair.

gazelle
December 18th, 2011, 02:38 AM
My hair is 2b/2c and it was frizz and curlier when it was shoulder length. As it gets longer, for some reason it is smoother and less curly. Maybe your hair will be in better condition as it gets longer.

You mentioned that you stopped flat ironing, so it will improve after a while