PDA

View Full Version : How do I curl my hair without using heat?

SopphireGem
December 16th, 2011, 02:14 PM
Is there a way to get really good curls without using heat? Curls that last all day long without hairspray?

starrydawn
December 16th, 2011, 02:19 PM
I use sponge rollers overnight and they seem to last all day for me.

Copasetic
December 16th, 2011, 02:25 PM
A lot of people sleep with their hair in a sock bun to get curls.

ashleyrox
December 16th, 2011, 02:28 PM
look up headband curls on youtube! I have curly hair but I "control" the curl with this trick and love how it turns out!

unknown
December 16th, 2011, 02:30 PM
look up headband curls on youtube! I have curly hair but I "control" the curl with this trick and love how it turns out!

They worked on my hair too -and my hair NEVER holds a curl! I didn't use any products at all and it still helf for 2-3 days :) It looked even better than when I used heat...

lapushka
December 16th, 2011, 02:39 PM
Pin curls. She's got great, quite intense, results using this technique:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSt3qPNdlro

Madora
December 16th, 2011, 02:46 PM
Is there a way to get really good curls without using heat? Curls that last all day long without hairspray?

Seconding the sponge curlers. Depending on the type of curl you desire you have the option of a thinner sponge curler for tighter curls, or a large diameter sponge curler for bigger curls.

I have no idea how long the curl would last..guess it depends on how long you leave them in, how much hair you put in each curler, and if you comb your curls out after you have removed the curlers.

A lot depends on how damp your hair is when you roll up the curler. I've used medium sized sponge curlers for just the ends of my braids and the curl lasted for a day.

jtl45
December 16th, 2011, 03:32 PM
Damp hair and sponge rollers at bedtime will work great and hold all day!
Jim :)

Deborah
December 16th, 2011, 03:34 PM
Keep in mind that if your hair is truly pin straight (like mine) nothing will give you all day curls. At your age I damp set my hair on rollers every night, but by sometime in the afternoon it was straight again. I finally realized that silky, shiny, straight hair is lovely in its own way.

jacqueline101
December 16th, 2011, 03:40 PM
Sponge rollers over night for 8 hours.

Helenae
December 16th, 2011, 04:03 PM
This is so weird because I'm a 2c (verging on curly, on the occasional wash the curls will just spring up out of nowhere)... but when I do sponge-roller curls they look beautiful, then drop straight after 3hours... ?? :S Anyone can help there, should I use some kind of mouse or gel? And what kind would people recommend?

Helenae
December 16th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Furthermore, when I sleep on damp hair it's STILL damp in the morning :O

manderly
December 16th, 2011, 04:04 PM
There have been so many threads started introducing us to new no-heat curl methods. I would suggest you use the search function and use different terms (no-heat, curls, heat free, etc) and see what you find.

GoldberryHair
December 16th, 2011, 06:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAPHSAPshJE&list=LLhljqcr3wGU1OzkNq33_kgQ&index=18&feature=plpp_video

If you want, go to my Album, and look at my results (I also have a whole thread you can get to "Perfect Heatless Productless Curls",

My hair is super fine and thick and would not usually hold curls for the life of me (no matter much hair spray i used) but this is perfect, without anything except a spritz of water :)

Good luck!

Zula
December 16th, 2011, 07:13 PM
Your hair needs to be completely dry, but the Caruso roller system works great.

julliams
December 17th, 2011, 04:39 AM
Pin curls. She's got great, quite intense, results using this technique:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSt3qPNdlro

This was an amazing result and I think it would continue to look good for a couple of days afterwards, just a little less full.