PDA

View Full Version : Shine

Eireann
July 11th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Since joining LHC, I've tried going off cones and minimizing blow drying. I'd like to know if there is some healthy/non-damaging way to improve shine. I've been oiling with Jojoba, and brushing with a boar bristle brush, which makes is feel soft, but I'd like it to look more "glossy." Is there any hope for me?

julya
July 11th, 2008, 01:53 PM
I have success at getting shiny hair with a cold water rinse and using cassia on occasion.

GlassEyes
July 11th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Leaving conditioner in my hair and then oiling has made my hair shinier. Not much conditioner though, less than a dime size.

ladystar
July 11th, 2008, 02:04 PM
I believe my shine comes from Henna, ACV rinses, Cold water rinses & Coconut oil.

Stagecoach
July 11th, 2008, 02:14 PM
The things I find contribute to shine are

Over all good moisture
Cold Water rinses
ACV rinses
Catnip tea soaks (probably the best)
And Aloe Vera

Ohio Sky
July 11th, 2008, 02:21 PM
Try different oils, jojoba will make my hair soft but only coconut oil will give me impressive shine.

Eireann
July 11th, 2008, 03:00 PM
Thanks for all the replies! I'm going to stop by Whole Foods on my way home for coconut oil. What's the best way to use it? Should I apply to wet or dry hair, and should I wash first or not? Thanks in advance!

girlcat36
July 11th, 2008, 03:01 PM
Cold ACV rinse.

WaimeaWahine
July 11th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Blow drying is fine if it has a cold air feature.

I'm using a combination of oils. Rub a small amount on finger tips and gently comb through damp hair.

As emphazised here a lot, experimenting is best. You have to find what works for you. :)

Ohio Sky
July 11th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Thanks for all the replies! I'm going to stop by Whole Foods on my way home for coconut oil. What's the best way to use it? Should I apply to wet or dry hair, and should I wash first or not? Thanks in advance!

I damp braid my hair with it every night. My hair soaks it up, so I use a bit more than most people do, but start off with about a pea size amount, work it through damp hair, and then braid or bun for bed.

Aibell77
July 11th, 2008, 04:31 PM
I second the cassia option, I've heard it gives your hair great shine and is not damaging.

xrosiex
July 11th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Cold ACV rinse.
I'm with Girlcat on this one. I also use distilled water with my acv.:)

Curlsgirl
July 11th, 2008, 04:42 PM
I use coconut oil and a LOT of it! I use it over leave-in conditioner on damp hair and sometimes oil lightly on dry hair too. I do cold water rinses occasionally too but haven't seen too much difference if any. My hair is shinier when I don't use the blow dryer but it may be because I'm a wurly.

jojo
July 11th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Cold water rinses, catnip, burdock root rinses (the best for shine in my opinion) and cassia all work great for me.

Indigo Girl
July 11th, 2008, 08:16 PM
I'm in agreement with much of what's been said already. I use:

- cassia
- cold water ACV rinse
- jojoba oil

Eireann
July 12th, 2008, 06:55 AM
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!

Last night I clarified with Aubry Organics Green Tea shampoo, then slathered on the coconut oil and let it sit for over an hour (while watching VH1's Top Metal Songs of All Time. . .there was some great hair on that show!!) and then did a CWC with Sauve Humectant Conditioner and the clarifying shampoo, and finished with a cold rinse. My hair looks and feels awesome!!! I don't know how to thank you all enough! I was actually thinking it was time to start my "2 week wait" before I chopped, now I have no desire to! Thank you!!

mommy2one05
July 12th, 2008, 09:22 AM
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!

Last night I clarified with Aubry Organics Green Tea shampoo, then slathered on the coconut oil and let it sit for over an hour (while watching VH1's Top Metal Songs of All Time. . .there was some great hair on that show!!) and then did a CWC with Sauve Humectant Conditioner and the clarifying shampoo, and finished with a cold rinse. My hair looks and feels awesome!!! I don't know how to thank you all enough! I was actually thinking it was time to start my "2 week wait" before I chopped, now I have no desire to! Thank you!!

Another thing to try...I did it this week and it was great on my hair.
I put coconut oil in my dry hair and I saturated the hair and then braided it for bed and the next day I washed as normal. And it really helped my hair.

bikerblue
July 13th, 2008, 02:02 AM
Recently I've been doing ACV rinses afterevery wash and find this helps alot. Buy i'm really interested in cassia.

tiny_teesha
July 13th, 2008, 02:20 AM
clarifying then a moisture treatment (no cones), or cassia! :) Those have worked for me.

danacc
July 13th, 2008, 01:22 PM
For shine, I :heartbeat: ACV rinses after I finish washing and conditioning, and coconut oil as a leave-in on the length.

eterea
June 3rd, 2011, 02:25 PM
I make a spray with silk protein by myself and this does wonders!
:p